What is more important when it comes to a job money or satisfaction?

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 06:32 am
This to make a decision i have in terms of selecting a job, spoke to people around but still confused.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,423 • Replies: 15

jespah

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 07:08 am
@Sachin Karpe,
Both, of course.

How much is the difference in $$? Can you make it up easily with overtime, or earlier favorable reviews? If so, then that doesn't matter.

If you can't, then decide for yourself how different the satisfaction levels are. Not everyone loves their jobs, so they get their satisfactions elsewhere, such as from family, or volunteering or lifelong learning.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 08:21 am
@Sachin Karpe,
Everybody's different - some don't care about job satisfaction, they just work to make money; to others, they don't thrive in a job unless they derive satisfaction from what they're doing.

You have to figure this out for yourself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 08:30 am
@Sachin Karpe,
Job satisfaction is a luxury, IMO.

That said, I also think it's true that people are both more successful and more satisfied when they have a job that lets them use their talents.

Raw talent usually isn't enough, though. Talents have to be cultivated. Musicians, architects, mechanics, programmers, chefs, etc. all have to hone their skills.

Find out what your talents are, and then look at jobs to use those talents, and then find out what you need to succeed in that field.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 09:23 am
@Sachin Karpe,
Sachin Karpe wrote:
What is more important when it comes to a job money or satisfaction?

You can't answer questions like this in absolutes. Can you be more specific about the difference in money and the difference in job satisfaction that you are talking about?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 10:19 am
I can only say that I've never held a job that I would continue with if they quit paying me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 02:14 pm
@Sachin Karpe,
I think in part - is money, but once you reach the amount of money you can live on - then satisfaction. You need x amount of money first so you can eat, have shelter and the basics of life. You may get tons of satisfaction say working for a charity, but you still need some money to survive.
Sachin Karpe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 08:13 am
Thanks for your suggestions its been of great help. Sachin Karpe
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:07 am
@Linkat,
I agree with Linkat!
There comes a time where job satisfaction takes over and I don't think I could work in an unhealthy job environment just because of the money. I might have 20 years ago, but not today!

Roger, I don't think anyone would be selfless to the extend that they work for free, but I do sometimes go to the office on holidays just because I want to finish up a task. To me it's not just a job to make a living, I identify more with it and I think this comes with having a satisfying job.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:17 am
Job Satisfaction is very important to me. I suppose it is part of the hierarchy of needs. I need money from a job to survive, but I also need job satisfaction to live well.

I am fortunate to have a career doing what I enjoy and the ability to get a new job when the old one stops making me happy.

Within certain limits (i.e. I have to have money to buy food for my kids) I would gladly take a job with less pay that was more fun or meaningful.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:39 am
@Sachin Karpe,
The interaction between job satisfaction and money is exceedingly complex, and varies from individual to individual.

There are some people who don't care a bit about their jobs, and live for evenings, weekends and holidays. There are others who love their jobs so much, (for the money, the power, or the satisfaction) that they spend an inordinate amount of time at work. And there are the rest of us, in between.

There are many people who take on a less than satisfying career to make a comfortable living, but relegate their real passions to avocations.

The important thing is that the person understands himself, what makes him "run", and what is valuable to him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:46 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I don't think anyone would be selfless to the extend that they work for free,

Jane- In my 55+ community, there are many, many people, now retired, who put in a helluva lot of work for the love of it. And doing this is not selfless. It is totally selfish. People volunteer for satisfaction, for the joy of doing "good", sometimes to simply keep busy, and for power.

Even amongst people who work, many join committees, charitable organizations etc, for the pleasure and satisfaction that it brings to them.
JPB

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:51 am
There are people who work to live and there are people who live to work. Those who live to work need to see their efforts valued (not necessarily financially, but there's a component of that too). Those who work to live are more likely to put up with a less than satisfying work culture because they get value elsewhere. Those are absolutes, of course. Most people are a blend of live to work and work to live mentalities, falling somewhere along the spectrum between absolutes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh yes, Phoenix, that goes without saying. I volunteer myself, but I didn't
consider this part of a paid job where you need to make a living. Volunteering is mostly a job we perform aside from working, or in your case aside from enjoying retirement.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:23 am
@CalamityJane,
Jane- For many people who work, volunteering enables people to network, and thus enhance their positions in their field. So I would expect that for working people who volunteer, there are multi- leveled motivations.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:23 pm
@Sachin Karpe,
Sachin Karpe wrote:

This to make a decision i have in terms of selecting a job, spoke to people around but still confused.

In todays market, the job selected should be one that's stable and one that will last at least 25-30 years. What could that be?
0 Replies