The Great Big A2K Fantasy Olympics Game For 2012!

wheel158

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:18 pm
Here are the picks for Eagleye43 (since she didn't post them herself yet):

Group A--
Australia
United Kingdom

Group B--
Belarus
Cuba
Netherlands

Group C--
Brazil
Kazakhstan
Norway
Romania
Turkey

Group D--
Belgium
Croatia
Chinese Taipei
Mexico
Zimbabwe
0 Replies

wheel158

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:23 pm
Looks like we have 29 so far, with 38 minutes before the cutoff (though a couple entries are still invalid, as they include Kazakhstan in Group D):

realjohnboy - redneck from Virginia, USA
Ticomaya - grimbribber from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
McGentrix
tsarstepan
ossobuco - female native to Los Angeles now living in New Mexico, U.S.
Unsullied
Iautah
ehBeth Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mitso23 Adelaide, Australia
George - Stoneham, MA, USA
Rhy - Stoneham, MA, USA
Skin Rip
fbaezer
shuho
markr - California, USA
hingehead
wheel158 - Michigan, USA
jetabor - Michigan, USA
em19usa - Michigan, USA
Ecartmill - Michigan, USA
tabormom - Michigan, USA
tgordon92 - Washington, DC, USA
wheel158_son#1 - Michigan, USA
wheel158_son#2 - Michigan, USA
lmur - Former Economic Powerhouse of Ireland
sdelong - Florida, USA
melis9701 - Michigan, USA
Jahiegel
Eagleye43 - Michigan, USA
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:33 pm
@wheel158,
There's a dearth of my fellow New Yorkers here in this august list. So I am the only representative from the great state of New York, (Brooklyn, NY)?

Quelle domage!
0 Replies

Jahiegel

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:06 pm
@wheel158,
One would have thought that I, being one of the last to respond, would at least have apprehended that, but he/she would have forgotten that I am entirely an idiot. Had I been even barely literate, I'd have taken KAZ over CZE in C and Uzbekistan in D (and, really, aren't UZB and KAZ roughly fungible?). My correction comes too late, I know, but apologies in any case.
tgordon92

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:34 pm
In creating the spreadsheet, I noticed a few problems with people's picks:

realjohnboy, you have Finland as one of your group B picks. Did you mean France?

Rhys, you have Netherlands as a Group D pick. They're in Group B.

Wheel Son#2, you only have three picks in Group C.

Please correct these as soon as possible, so you don't gain an unfair advantage from early football results.

Also, as scorekeeper, I've decided to allow Jaheigel's late correction to his picks. Any appeals may be made to the International Court of Sport.
markr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:36 pm
@wheel158,
Quote:
I agree. It's easy to make a mistake -- especially with the USA and China being split by gender.

On a side note: on your spreadsheet, do you record only the running medal tally (total), or do you list the medal count for each day separately? Just curious...

Running total. It's also set up so that I can just cut and paste the table from here:
http://www.london2012.com/medals/
and everything (except the gender split stuff) will be automatically updated.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@tgordon92,
Quote:
In creating the spreadsheet, I noticed a few problems with people's picks:

realjohnboy, you have Finland as one of your group B picks. Did you mean France?

Rhys, you have Netherlands as a Group D pick. They're in Group B.

Wheel Son#2, you only have three picks in Group C.

Please correct these as soon as possible, so you don't gain an unfair advantage from early football results.

Also, as scorekeeper, I've decided to allow Jaheigel's late correction to his picks. Any appeals may be made to the International Court of Sport.

Doesn't hingehead also have a problem with Czech Republic in group D?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:43 pm
@markr,
Yes, and I feel bad about that, I just noticed it - he is a former medalist, and just posted towards the end ..
He's in australia - probably early morning there, re pm ing him.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:53 pm
@Jahiegel,
No problem, Jahiegel. I deliberately left a little time between the deadline and the awarding of the first medals for clearing up errors. In fact, I started the errors going by not putting Kazakhistan in the wrong group in an early posting.

France - not Finland - in Group B for me.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:56 pm
Yes, hingehead needs to replace Czech Republic in Group D. Thanks for pointing that out, markr.

Also, I'm in the process of creating divisions. There will be either 4 divisions (7, 7, 7, 8) or 3 divisions (9, 10, 10) depending on people's geographic split and whether sdelong wants to be in a division with the Michigan folks. Four divisions would probably be US East, US West, Michigan, and International. Three divisions would be Michigan and two others (either geographic or veterans/rookies). So, if you haven't filled in your location in the roll call, please do so.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:37 pm
@wheel158,
wheel158 wrote:

Looks like we have 29 so far, with 38 minutes before the cutoff (though a couple entries are still invalid, as they include Kazakhstan in Group D):

McGentrix
tsarstepan (Brooklyn, NY, USA)
Unsullied
Iautah
ehBeth Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mitso23 Adelaide, Australia
Rhy - Stoneham, MA, USA
Skin Rip
fbaezer (Mexico City, Mexico)
shuho
markr - California, USA
hingehead
wheel158 - Michigan, USA
jetabor - Michigan, USA
em19usa - Michigan, USA
tabormom - Michigan, USA
sdelong - Florida, USA
Jahiegel
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:37 pm
JOHNBOY OUSTED AS SCOREKEEPER IN LATE NIGHT COUP!
And I Am So Happy.

I mentioned that I was dreading keeping up with the medal count by player for the next two weeks. Several A2Kers volunteered to help but I was a little dubious about whether they understood the magnitude of the task (30 players times 15 picks each from among 80 or so countries).
There were comments here and more than a few emails. I'm so confident that things are under control that I have discarded my score sheets!
We shouldn't necessarily expect daily updates - perhaps every other day.
Let The Games Begin!
tgordon92

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
Johnboy,

My benevolent junta is happy to seize the reins of scorekeeping power from you. To keep the masses form revolting, I expect to put out daily score updates, usually in the evening after all medals have been awarded for the day, although sometimes not until the next morning US East Coast time. The spreadsheet is nearly done, and should be ready by the time conferences are finalized, which should be tomorrow or Friday.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:49 pm
@tgordon92,
I'll be quiet after this re scoring. You seem to have it under control; and there are a couple of people watching for inadvertent errors.
With regards to the leagues/conferences, I have used that meaningless gimmick - especially in a long season - to keep the underachievers watching. And to give the commentator and the trash talkers fuel during slow times.
I wouldn't fret too much about organizing that geographically or by veterans and newbies.
With 29 players, I would favor four teams of six and one of five. An obscure rule here - honest, it exists. Would I make this up? - discourages having the player count end up as a prime number. So we could admit one more player even though the deadline has passed.
Just saying.

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:30 pm
@markr,
thanks markr and osso

I'm so dumb. In group D replace Czech republic with Indonesia.

PS for localities I'm in Cairns Australia
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I'll be quiet after this re scoring. You seem to have it under control; and there are a couple of people watching for inadvertent errors.
With regards to the leagues/conferences, I have used that meaningless gimmick - especially in a long season - to keep the underachievers watching. And to give the commentator and the trash talkers fuel during slow times.
I wouldn't fret too much about organizing that geographically or by veterans and newbies.
With 29 players, I would favor four teams of six and one of five. An obscure rule here - honest, it exists. Would I make this up? - discourages having the player count end up as a prime number. So we could admit one more player even though the deadline has passed.
Just saying.

What do people think? Is there any interest in divisions, or should we just have everyone ranked 1-29?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:00 pm
@tgordon92,
I like Johnboy's take - I'd like to see divisions, 5 would be fine, and I'd like us mixed up... shuffle the cards.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:15 pm
@tgordon92,
If you have your plate full with keeping track of 1-29, I'll set up and score the conferences using your medal reports.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
McGentrix - the Emerald City, USA
tsarstepan - Brooklyn, NY, USA
Unsullied
Iautah
ehBeth - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mitso23 - Adelaide, Australia
Rhy - Stoneham, MA, USA
Skin Rip
fbaezer - Mexico City, Mexico
shuho
markr - California, USA
hingehead - Cairns Australia
wheel158 - Michigan, USA
jetabor - Michigan, USA
em19usa - Michigan, USA
tabormom - Michigan, USA
sdelong - Florida, USA
Jahiegel
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:33 pm
@tgordon92,
"What do people think? Is there any interest in divisions, or should we just have everyone ranked 1-29?"

It doesn't matter to me, but I'd lean toward 1-29. My recollection is that in the past everybody was engaged because even the folks that were near the bottom were interested in passing the person ahead of them. Also, the duration of the competition is so short that it's not hard to stay interested throughout.

Forming groups (as with pro sports) is a good way to filter teams for the postseason, but it is based on multiple head-to-head competitions. This is playing out for all of us at the same time without any head-to-head matches.