(Please) rate my argument

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 08:07 pm
this is my basic (and I'm sure fallible) argument concerning the objcetivity of history:

history is no more relative than any other science, for prejudice is like a paradigm only paradigms are universal and prejudices are particular... the scientist still develops theories knowing that one day, there may very well be a paradigm shift and his theories will be abandoned... the historian knows that due to different prejudices there will be different views on how events occurred

Please show me errors if you see any... thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 2
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:15 am
Re: (Please) rate my argument
opus_piscator wrote:
history is no more relative than any other science...

Well, history isn't a science.

opus_piscator wrote:
for prejudice is like a paradigm only paradigms are universal and prejudices are particular...

This is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

opus_piscator wrote:
the scientist still develops theories knowing that one day, there may very well be a paradigm shift and his theories will be abandoned... the historian knows that due to different prejudices there will be different views on how events occurred

The scientist, however, works on the assumption that any other scientist would be able to replicate the results of his/her experiments. In that sense, science is "objective," inasmuch as the results do not depend on the scientist. Such is not the case with the historian who, as you point out, knows that such scientific "objectivity" is unattainable.
0 Replies

opus piscator

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:13 pm
thanks... I abandoned the argument before I wrote the paper, thankfully Smile
0 Replies