The Weight Gain Which Accompanies Aging - A Question

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:52 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Meat, vegetables, grains, and we ate fruit. I tried to eat like people did a couple of centuries ago. It didn't alter my metabolism or provide a magical way to lose weight.

did you also walk to work , chop the wood to heat your house, milk your cows, slaughter pigs ... ?

other than apples and berries, fruit shouldn't have been on your menu. limited varieties of veg unless you have a kitchen garden.

~~~~~

Separately, why do you consider aging a problem?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Meat, vegetables, grains, and we ate fruit. I tried to eat like people did a couple of centuries ago. It didn't alter my metabolism or provide a magical way to lose weight.

did you also walk to work , chop the wood to heat your house, milk your cows, slaughter pigs ... ?

other than apples and berries, fruit shouldn't have been on your menu. limited varieties of veg unless you have a kitchen garden.

~~~~~

Separately, why do you consider aging a problem?

There is a persistent rumor that Americans are fat because their diet is inherently defective. I think I disproved it, because stopped eating processed foods altogether, and both times I tried it had to stop because I was gaining too much weight. Also, when I was younger I was persistently skinny no matter what I ate or how sedentary I was, and eating only natural foods had zero effect towards restoring any of that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Going back to your original post, it's clear that your body style is ectomorphic and that you had a super high metabolism/burn rate. Mine is the same. Endomorphs and mesomorphs have different base metabolisms than you and I. Research regarding metabolic changes with aging should include body style/base metabolism as one of it's main effects. Saying that our metabolism changes as we age doesn't help unless we understand how it changes for a particular body style. One of my problems, as an ectomorph, was that I never developed good eating habits as a child. I ate anything and everything I could get my hands on and barely stayed out of the "bean pole" category. Once I started to slow down (for me it was definitely related to joint heath following a knee injury/major reconstructive surgery) I started to slowly gain weight, which was a good thing. Then it became not such a good thing as the more I gained the worse my joint health became. It's then a vicious cycle. I had to learn good eating habits as an adult. People with other body types have other issues that may or may not have the same effects with aging.

This is from a body building site, but it gives a good description of the three body types.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:38 am
Brandon, Welcome back. I think that JPB is right about Sheldon's body types, however I was born skinny and I always get a smile when I see the ad: Be skinny by summer. I have always hoped to be fuller by fall. Razz
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 08:30 pm
@Letty,
Thanks. When I was in junior high school, one day, for whatever reason, our gym teacher told us about the body types. I had never heard of it before and never forgot it.
0 Replies

lucas22

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 03:57 am
I have been considering fat gain/loss/you name it for a long time now, and I truly haven't seen something specific onto it. Physicians - including my very own - simply appear to shrug and state, "It's aging." Nicely, uh, that's nice.

For ladies, it may be, at least partly, menopausally-driven. There's also sleep disruptions that may accompany the menopause, and a lack of top quality sleep is assigned to putting on weight.
jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 05:44 am
@lucas22,
lucas22 wrote:

I have been considering fat gain/loss/you name it for a long time now, and I truly haven't seen something specific onto it. Physicians - including my very own - simply appear to shrug and state, "It's aging." Nicely, uh, that's nice.

For ladies, it may be, at least partly, menopausally-driven. There's also sleep disruptions that may accompany the menopause, and a lack of top quality sleep is assigned to putting on weight.

Awesome how you can copy most of http://able2know.org/topic/191196-1#post-4995139
engineer

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:49 am
@jespah,
Ha! Nice bust there. He did the same thing on another thread.
jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:03 am
@engineer,
I look forward to seeing my words in a spammy email, perhaps from someone named Skippy Turturro.
0 Replies