The future of the republican party

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
Campus Repubs Offer Whites Only Scholarship
Quote:
Student Group Offers Whites-Only Award

BRISTOL, R.I. (AP) - A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.

The application for the $50 award requires an essay on ``why you are proud of your white heritage'' and a recent picture to ``confirm whiteness.''

``Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants,'' says the application, issued by the university's College Republicans.

Jason Mattera, 20, who is president of the College Republicans, said the group is parodying minority scholarships.

``White kids are at a handicap,'' Mattera told The Providence Journal. ``Handing out scholarships based on someone's color is absurd.''

The stunt has angered some at the university, but the administration is staying out of the fray. The school's provost said it is a student group's initiative and is not endorsed by Roger Williams.

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is himself a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group.

``No matter what my ethnicity is, I'm making a statement that scholarships should be given out based on merit and need,'' he said.

It's not the first brush with controversy for the group. The school temporarily froze the Republicans' money in the fall during a fight over a series of articles published in its monthly newsletter. One article alleged that a gay-rights group indoctrinates students into homosexual sex.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,702 • Replies: 21
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
Spoiled Brats at CU Boulder
Quote:
Article Published: Sunday, February 15, 2004
Passionate about being right

Leader of CU's College Republicans loves to challenge liberals

By Brittany Anas
Special to The Denver Post

BOULDER - Students and professors at the University of Colorado probably would never vote Brad Jones the most popular guy on campus. And the 20-year-old chairman of CU's College Republicans is proud of that.

He protests war protests. He enjoys making his liberal professors uncomfortable. He sells T-shirts with the motto: "Join us now or work for us later."

But what he enjoys the most is opening up a dialogue on a campus that he says is largely liberal.

"College politics are supposed to be fun," said Jones, who is known for sticking out his tongue-in-cheek sense of humor at Boulder's left-wingers.

"Take all the radicals from the '60s that grew up, and that's what Boulder is," Jones said.

Jones spun into the spotlight most recently with a bake sale that he organized as a forum to debate affirmative action.

His original plan was to price the cookies and cupcakes at different prices depending on the buyer's race.

Advertisement

Jones argued that the pricing scale would demonstrate how affirmative-action programs in hiring, admissions and contracting draw harmful correlations between a person's race and his or her ability to achieve.

University officials threatened to halt the sale, calling it a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, state statute and university rules.

Jones threatened the administration with a lawsuit, because, he said, stopping the sale would be prior restraint.

The sides compromised and the bake sale ensued, with the College Republicans having a single price for all students along with a parody price list of "suggested donations."

Jones calmly articulated his viewpoints about affirmative action, as heated debates were erupting around him and the cupcakes he baked were being smashed into the ground.

He said he's got thick skin and self-confidence.

Jones joked that he is still catching up on hate e-mails from last month, when he launched a link on the College Republicans' website that solicited students to document any liberal biases they witnessed in the classroom.

He said that he also has received e-mails accusing the group of whining.

But Jones said the site is being used to collect hard evidence of liberal biases, so when the group goes to the administration or the legislature, it will have examples to back up its claims.

"I challenge anybody to go onto the website and read it objectively, and find any proof that we are blacklisting professors," Jones said. "It's just not there. We want to build a body of knowledge."

About 20 students so far have documented examples of liberal biases in the classroom, Jones said.

But the College Republicans, with Jones as their leader, don't just spark debates and open up forums for discussion. They like to party, too.

Jones said the group organized an "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" party in November.

"It was a celebration of everything that makes America great," said Jones, who has decorated his bedroom walls with the American flag, state flags and a rifle target.

The group also had a "conservative coming-out day" at the beginning of February, and Jones said that Republicans on campus were coming out of the woodwork.

Jones said he is passionate about the group and devotes at least two hours every day to it.

"You can't be a part-time student activist," he said.

Jones said that he starts the group's meetings by putting up a picture of Ronald Reagan and playing all-American band music.

He jokes as the meetings start: "The conspiracy is about to meet."

"We're supposed to be fun and wacky, and do stuff that the party as a whole can't get away with," Jones said.

Stephanie Strine, 21, a recent CU graduate who worked with Jones on the College Republicans last year, said she admires Jones' leadership skills.

"Brad is never afraid to speak up," Strine said. "He knows that administrators think he's a pain, ... but this is what he believes in, and he doesn't back down."

"Boulder is very different; it's a very utopian society," Strine added. "People don't want to hear other opinions."

Aside from his involvement with the College Republicans, Jones also works for CU's admissions office as the president of student ambassadors, a group that gives campus tours.

He also served in CU's student government as a co-senator for the School of Arts and Science during the 2002-03 academic year.

The Arts and Science Student Government attempted to impeach Jones and his co-senator, Antonia Gaona.

Jones and Gaona were able to overturn the impeachment, but Jones said it was a very taxing process and he felt it was a personal attack.

Jones, who is from Arlington, Va., will graduate in December with a degree in communications. Although he has law school in mind, he said he would like to be a ski bum for a little while.

Jones has not ruled out a career in politics, and he said he eventually would like to serve the public, perhaps on a school board.

"There's something about being in an elected office," he said. "There's something fun about it."
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 07:54 pm
I'm missing your point with both posts. Isn't it a good thing to bring such issues to the surface and discuss them. People don't want controversy, but they are willing to create crontroversial issues. Passivists with a huge knack for stirring a fight.

Whites don't need any specific scholarships. They get plenty. That's why I'd laugh hysterically at such a notion.

But, we have fostered an atmosphere where anything anti-affirmative action is scandalous while only reflecting the same principles of affirmative action itself. It's that same twisted thinking I keep debating from time to time.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Lemme see if I've got your drift, here, hbob ... these are "Spoiled Brats" because they reject the feelgood, kneejerk groupthink that characterizes contemporary academia? They're upset that the decades-long hegemony of The Left on campus is meeting significant challenge? The Left are incensed that that time-honored mainstay of The Left, Guerilla Theater, is being employed effectively against it? Do you feel personally threatened by the prospect of the emergence of the Democratic Minority? Is the Left fearful of being left behind by the march of history? I can see where they might have cause for concern. The times they are a'changin'.

Perhaps The Left should look into developing coping skills; they certainly seem to be having difficulty here of late when it comes to engaging the sentiment of The Electorate on The Issues. Their score over the past decade or so has been more or less underwhelming. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
...same twisted thinking...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:19 pm
MichaelAllen wrote:
...same twisted thinking...

Care to elaborate?
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:23 pm
I was just pointing out your words reflect some of the things I was thinking. The backlash scares people. Once a lesson is taught, it applies to all. The Left have yet to learn that.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:25 pm
I doubt we will ever learn the "value" of bigotry, or think that a party involving alcohol and guns is a good idea.
I do wonder why the Bradster, if he's so patriotic, isn't in the military?
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:34 pm
Which party doesn't involve alcohol and guns? Passivists who like to start civil wars. Some people hide behind a goody-goody facade and get caught with their pants down in a strip-club. And I've hunted with Democrats because I really don't care what your political affiliation is, I can agree to disagree and share a drink with a guy who lobbies against alcohol.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:37 pm
Quote:
Which party doesn't involve alcohol and guns?

Ant party that onvolves etoh and guns usually ends up requiring my previous services. They were rather frequent in Baltimore.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
About Brad Jones not being in the military, I overlooked commenting on that. Since when is the military your only way of showing patriotism? What if someone who is patriotic don't agree with war? What is he to do? Can't you get a job, pay your taxes and be just as patriotic as a United States Marine? Vote, enter government...etc.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
I have met the Bradster. He is all in favour of invading everything. He referred to me as "one of those too chicken to serve our great country." Whatever.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:41 pm
I'm just about laughing my @$$ off. I thought you meant political party. Sorry.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:43 pm
Where is the picture in your avatar? It looks like its right outside the Pratt. Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:45 pm
I sorta get your point there, hbob, but I'm overall uncomfortable with your blanket application of sweeping generalizations. That's really nothing more than label-mongering, IMHO, and contraindicative of well-thought argument. And, hell ... we party with booze, guns, and motor vehicles around here a lot ... its sorta lifestyle among The Hunting Class, and we damn near never shoot or run over oneanother Laughing

You ever hear of a band called The Yoopers? They have a great song called Its The Second Week of Deer Camp ... if you've never heard it, you've gotta look it up. It'll prolly be on the jukebox at just about any truckstop or reasonably seedy tavern in late autum/early winter almost everywhere.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:49 pm
I'm a Dr. Demento Devotee, Timber! Very Happy
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:54 pm
Court house, but I might have taken a better picture there.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
Ah. I still think teh Pratt was one of teh best public libraries I've ever had the pleasure to owe late fees to. Wink
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:03 pm
I'd have to say. Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:01 am
I think it is the same as the "proud whites" wanting a white history month. It is ridiculous. Programs are created out of need not just to make a political statement.

I agree that a students financial situation should be looked at no matter their race and it is, so are people with disabilities and other things that made it a disadvantage for them in their school years. As long as prejudice is alive and well there will always be a need to consider a person's race for affirmative action. Speaking as a lefty myself, I feel no need to apologize for that belief.
0 Replies