What is the difference between "which are relevant to explaining the discourse functions" and ...

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 10:00 am

What is the difference between "which are relevant to explaining the discourse functions" and "which are relevant to explain the discourse functions"?

Context:

In this chapter we are concerned with the way clauses are adapted to fit the requirements of communication. The principd syntactic means are:
word order (1 1.2)
the passive (I 1.3)
a existential there (11.4)
a dislocation (11.5)
defting (11.6)
These devices are crucial for making clauses fit in with the context, thereby building a coherent text that conveys emphasis and related stylistic effects where required and eases the processing for the receiver. They may all be seen as means of re-arranging the information in a clause in different ways to achiwe some such purpose (or frequently a combination of such purposes) which other structural options would not in that instance do successfully. Consequently we will, during the course of the chapter, utilize concepts such as the following, which are relevant to explaining the discourse functions of syntactic devices such as those abovc information flow:
given/topical v, new information
focus and emphasis, including end focus and double focus
contrast
intensification
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 12:50 pm
@oristarA,
Not much diff though I might have said, “...following, relevant to discourse functions of …

Trim whenever feasible
JTT

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 03:34 pm
@oristarA,
Bookmark
oristarA

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 06:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Not much diff though I might have said, “...following, relevant to discourse functions of …
Trim whenever feasible

Cool.
Thank you.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 06:07 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Bookmark

Not understood you, JTT.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 02:27 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
What is the difference between "which are relevant to explaining the discourse functions" and "which are relevant to explain the discourse functions"?

There is a difference, Ori, but I think [and I continue to do so on this] that in this case it makes no difference to the immediate meaning.

"___ing" means right now, in progress while present simple means it's a general condition/a usual truth.

A Bookmark keeps a thread within "Your Posts" so you can either reflect further upon it or read others ideas.

A Bump moves it up in "Your Posts" so it stays current in your posts and therefore your mind.
0 Replies