Some Musings About Sexual Orientation and Stuff

snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:09 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I was wondering, does it mean that girls who kiss each other are classed as homos? I have witnessed many woman kissing who I am sure were straight. I think the euuu factor comes into play when the kiss is pashinate.

Rabel,
I think what's been referred to in this thread is not the quick peck on the lips between sorority sisters, but the wetter, more passionate version.
sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:20 pm
@JPB,
There's actually some pretty compelling evidence that homosexuality helps with the survival of the species, too -- the aunt/ uncle effect. Basically, that if there are some young, strong people around the cave who don't have their own kids to take care of, they are available to help take care of their sisters' kids. Less competition for those kids, and more care, while still carrying on the genes.

Since homosexuality does seem to be at least partially a genetic thing, that makes sense. Some genetic traits are just extra or even not-helpful but just weren't eliminated completely, but most traits that have stuck around have done so because they were helpful to survival of the species, in some way.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:08 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I think what's been referred to in this thread is not the quick peck on the lips between sorority sisters, but the wetter, more passionate version.

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/3642606+_ba526ec9654f97f877106e7ea79dfbd9.jpg
snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

snood wrote:

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/3642606+_ba526ec9654f97f877106e7ea79dfbd9.jpg

The link didn't work for me
Chumly

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Well, that's interesting, because I was about to say those very things.....including that I feel female sexuality is more fluid.
Certainly true if you don't wanna get saddle sore.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:56 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Some genetic traits are just extra or even not-helpful but just weren't eliminated completely, but most traits that have stuck around have done so because they were helpful to survival of the species, in some way.l
I certainly question that "most traits that have stuck around have done so because they were helpful to survival of the species..."

I suggest that many "traits" have been and are counter-productive to true long-term human survival. Witness the global conditions we find ourselves in now, and the high risk of self-extermination.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:19 am
@snood,
Most people think your either male or female. I just read a article that told of the father of six who had a test at the hospital and found he had both female an male organs. Spoke of having female tendencies. Wonder how that goes with the religious crowd.
snood

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 11:53 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Most people think your either male or female. I just read a article that told of the father of six who had a test at the hospital and found he had both female an male organs. Spoke of having female tendencies. Wonder how that goes with the religious crowd.

Yeah, generally pretty closeminded about it probably. It is important to remember though that religious people are not a homogenous group. There are some religious people who have consistently been advocates for more inclusiveness, and by so doing have been some of the key characters in all the change that has occured over the last couple decades.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 03:38 pm
Is your yuck out loud for their benefit - or in your head? Anybody.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 03:59 pm
@Lash,
Which yuck?

I've long known about that anatomic situation where the people who have it are called hermaphrodites. I heard of it in school years before I heard of it in real life, and I'm not sure if what I heard in real life was real but given the sequence of how I heard it, I think so... a certain head of Ob-Gyn at a large hospital telling a prof friend about a case, the child a now famous person I admire.

Whether that was true or not, those anatomical outcomes occur. I haven't looked up the stats, guessing more often than we tend to think. I don't think of that as yuck, I think of it as interesting.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 04:14 pm
One of the questions here is 'who are most religious people'. World wide and even in towns in the U.S., they vary, especially if you add in 'spiritual' people.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
The people who said they "yuck" at open affection between gay couples. I wonder if they do it aloud.
chai2

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 06:57 pm
@snood,
Like others her, PDA between any 2 people are eww to me when it goes beyond simple hand holding, a kiss of affection (a peck on the lips let's say), an arm around the shoulder and so forth. I don't want to watch that (if I can't move away) because I don't want to see 2 other people sexually aroused.

I do have a question though, about what a couple of guys have said about lesbian kissing....

Why would a man want to watch 2 women kissing? What is supposed to be so hot about it for a man?

It doesn't make sense to me.
snood

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:53 pm
My "yucks" are silent.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Like others her, PDA between any 2 people are eww to me when it goes beyond simple hand holding, a kiss of affection (a peck on the lips let's say), an arm around the shoulder and so forth. I don't want to watch that (if I can't move away) because I don't want to see 2 other people sexually aroused.

That's a good point chai. My thought is, when I witness a couple making out at the grocery store, they are acting in an ostentatious manner and are waiving any right to not be judged by me or others (since they offered no choice). My judgement is: yukkky

Quote:
I do have a question though, about what a couple of guys have said about lesbian kissing....

Why would a man want to watch 2 women kissing? What is supposed to be so hot about it for a man?

It doesn't make sense to me.

Why would a woman want to watch Real Housewives? The heart wants what it wants...

Okay. Only kidding. I'd imagine the reason some men (certainly not me, of course *tugs collar*) would want to watch two women kissing is the same reason some women would want to watch two women kissing: It's suggestive of sex.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:59 pm
so why would a man want to watch 2 women kissing over a man and a woman, or, a man and a man?

they are suggestive of sex as well.

(btw, never seen real housewives, or any of that stuff)

snood

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 08:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

so why would a man want to watch 2 women kissing over a man and a woman, or, a man and a man?

they are suggestive of sex as well.

(btw, never seen real housewives, or any of that stuff)

I think with things that an individual finds sexually stimulating, the old saying "there's no accounting for taste" fits.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:00 pm
@chai2,
I really can only speculate from my own observations and viewpoint, but I think there's usually a degree of aggression involved with sex. I think if most men were to see the face of some other man who is acting... uh... suggestively... the instincts might be somewhat preoccupied by the perceived aggression.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:49 pm
@Lash,
Thanks, I missed that, not rereading.

I don't quite know what to say. I consider them ignorant (and sometimes aggressively so, reminding me of an old phrase of mine, belligerent ignorance).

But I've been ignorant and will be again, on various matters, probably not this one.
Change can be slow. I get that gay couples showing affection in public, however slight, are often brave. That it takes brave to be yourself is messed up.
People of any sort making love in diners are making bad choices (not that I don't understand), but there should be equal rights for affronting society.

You and I differ in that you know the south and I don't it at all. Not that the north is perfecto.
firefly

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:25 pm
For some, a homosexual relationship/lifestyle is a choice--and this actress is rather adament about that.
Quote:
Cynthia Nixon Marries Girlfriend Christine Marinoni

Three years ago, Tony- and Emmy-winning actress Cynthia Nixon announced she was engaged to girlfriend Christine Marinoni at a gay marriage rally, noting, "In an ideal world, we'd like to [wed] in New York, when it becomes legalized. We’re not going to wait forever, but we’re hoping it’s just around the corner...Sometime I think before the end of next summer, but we don’t have a date." Well, same-sex marriage passed in NY last year and Nixon and Marinoni got hitched yesterday!

Nixon's rep told People, "On May 27, 2012, Cynthia Nixon and her girlfriend, Christine Marinoni, were legally married in the state of New York. Nixon wore a custom dress by Carolina Herrera." (FWIW, Herrera designed City Council Speaker Christine Quinn's wedding dress, too!)

Nixon and Marinoni have been together since 2003 and had a son last year. Nixon was previously married to Danny Mozes, with whom she has two children. The Sex and the City star sparked a controversy earlier this year when she said, "I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me." She tried to explain, "Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate... I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with."
http://gothamist.com/2012/05/28/cynthia_nixon_marries_girlfriend_ch.php

I think it makes sense to let people speak for themselves.
0 Replies