10
   

Worst historical speech performance?

 
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Picture says a thousand words, huh?


Ain't that so!
YES, it ain 't, Frank.
W was correct in that as of that point,
Saddam had been ousted from control of Iraq.
That was THE REASON that we went there, so the mission, WAS INDEED accomplished, in that Saddam was dislodged.
THAT's what we went there to DO and that 's what we SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED, by that time.
Saddam did not sneak back into power.

We did NOT go there for "nation-building".
W, with help from the Democrats, just snuck that in; thay ADOPTED A NEW MISSION of nation-building.
We got bogged down in "nation-building."
We did NOT go there to do THAT; bait and switch.


Arguably, we shud have brought back the troops
after getting rid of Saddam, but there was some danger of his re-establishing himself.



Frank Apisa wrote:
Every time I look at that picture, I physically shake my head...
Admittedly, I can see an argument
that W shud have waited until after we had killed Saddam,
before he said that, and made it a funeral oration,
but reasonable minds can differ about that.
Note that I disapproved when Reagan chose Bush.
I don 't like the Bushes; not real conservatives, not followers
of Washington, Madison or Goldwater, but thay were just
not as bad as their competition at election time.



Frank Apisa wrote:
and reflect on the fact that we actually elected that guy twice
to the presidency (once with the help of SCOTUS).
W got no significant help from them.
W got more votes than Gore in Florida; that 's all there is to it.
Many newspapers sent representatives there to re-count the votes AGAIN,
after Gore was finished with them.
Thay found the same result.
It 'd have been a BIG story for their headlines if Gore had won.
The newspapers left no room for reasonable skepticism.


Frank Apisa wrote:
But you gotta give him this:
He was a master of lousy speeches!
Yeah, I remember a fellow who hung around in Italy a lot; Benito Mussolini.
HIS speeches were very well received!





David
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 4990243)
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Picture says a thousand words, huh?


Ain't that so!
YES, it ain 't, Frank.
W was correct in that as of that point,
Saddam had been ousted from control of Iraq.
That was THE REASON that we went there, so the mission, WAS INDEED accomplished, in that Saddam was dislodged.
THAT's what we went there to DO and that 's what we SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED, by that time.
Saddam did not sneak back into power.

We did NOT go there for "nation-building".
W, with help from the Democrats, just snuck that in; thay ADOPTED A NEW MISSION of nation-building.
We got bogged down in "nation-building."
We did NOT go there to do THAT; bait and switch.


Arguably, we shud have brought back the troops
after getting rid of Saddam, but there was some danger of his re-establishing himself.



Frank Apisa wrote:
Every time I look at that picture, I physically shake my head...
Admittedly, I can see an argument
that W shud have waited until after we had killed Saddam,
before he said that, and made it a funeral oration,
but reasonable minds can differ about that.
Note that I disapproved when Reagan chose Bush.
I don 't like the Bushes; not real conservatives, not followers
of Washington, Madison or Goldwater, but thay were just
not as bad as their competition at election time.



Frank Apisa wrote:
and reflect on the fact that we actually elected that guy twice
to the presidency (once with the help of SCOTUS).
W got no significant help from them.
W got more votes than Gore in Florida; that 's all there is to it.
Many newspapers sent representatives there to re-count the votes AGAIN,
after Gore was finished with them.
Thay found the same result.
It 'd have been a BIG story for their headlines if Gore had won.
The newspapers left no room for reasonable skepticism.


Frank Apisa wrote:
But you gotta give him this:
He was a master of lousy speeches!
Yeah, I remember a fellow who hung around in Italy a lot; Benito Mussolini.
HIS speeches were very well received!


David


David, there is a scene in the film The King's Speech where the young Princess Elizabeth and Margaret Rose and the King are watching a film news report of a speech by Adolph Hitler. One of the princesses asks her father, "What is that man saying?"

The King responds, "I do not really know. But he is saying it rather well!"

I doubt anyone ever said that about George W. Bush...the part about "saying it rather well." I listened to many of W's speeches, and if asked, "What is he saying?"...I might well have responded, "I don't really know!"

And although this is fairly recent history, but I nominate David's speech here for the honor asked for in the title of this thread.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 4990243)
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Picture says a thousand words, huh?


Ain't that so!
YES, it ain 't, Frank.
W was correct in that as of that point,
Saddam had been ousted from control of Iraq.
That was THE REASON that we went there, so the mission, WAS INDEED accomplished, in that Saddam was dislodged.
THAT's what we went there to DO and that 's what we SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED, by that time.
Saddam did not sneak back into power.

We did NOT go there for "nation-building".
W, with help from the Democrats, just snuck that in; thay ADOPTED A NEW MISSION of nation-building.
We got bogged down in "nation-building."
We did NOT go there to do THAT; bait and switch.


Arguably, we shud have brought back the troops
after getting rid of Saddam, but there was some danger of his re-establishing himself.



Frank Apisa wrote:
Every time I look at that picture, I physically shake my head...
Admittedly, I can see an argument
that W shud have waited until after we had killed Saddam,
before he said that, and made it a funeral oration,
but reasonable minds can differ about that.
Note that I disapproved when Reagan chose Bush.
I don 't like the Bushes; not real conservatives, not followers
of Washington, Madison or Goldwater, but thay were just
not as bad as their competition at election time.



Frank Apisa wrote:
and reflect on the fact that we actually elected that guy twice
to the presidency (once with the help of SCOTUS).
W got no significant help from them.
W got more votes than Gore in Florida; that 's all there is to it.
Many newspapers sent representatives there to re-count the votes AGAIN,
after Gore was finished with them.
Thay found the same result.
It 'd have been a BIG story for their headlines if Gore had won.
The newspapers left no room for reasonable skepticism.


Frank Apisa wrote:
But you gotta give him this:
He was a master of lousy speeches!
Yeah, I remember a fellow who hung around in Italy a lot; Benito Mussolini.
HIS speeches were very well received!


David
Frank Apisa wrote:
David, there is a scene in the film The King's Speech where the young Princess Elizabeth and Margaret Rose and the King are watching a film news report of a speech by Adolph Hitler. One of the princesses asks her father, "What is that man saying?"

The King responds, "I do not really know. But he is saying it rather well!"
It seems unlikely that we 'd have ever heard of Hitler
if he had only average ability, as a public speaker.



Frank Apisa wrote:
I doubt anyone ever said that about George W. Bush...the part about "saying it rather well." I listened to many of W's speeches, and if asked, "What is he saying?"...I might well have responded, "I don't really know!"

And although this is fairly recent history, but I nominate David's speech here for the honor asked for in the title of this thread.
I got a chuckle out of that, Frank.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Maybe if he'd been a better painter, things might have worked out differently.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Maybe if he'd been a better painter, things might have worked out differently.
I was thinking that; (or if thay let him in, REGARDLESS).

Jews bought his little paintings, when he was destitute.
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:40 am
Strom Thurmond's speech on segregation in 1948. All the while screwing the black maid.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
My late wife told me of a short story by Walter Tevis where a man travels back in time to assassinate Hitler. He is successful, but when he arrives back in the present he discovers that the Nazis won WW2.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  2  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:06 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
Strom Thurmond's speech on segregation in 1948. All the while screwing the black maid.

I'm pretty sure those events were sequential, not simultaneous.
gungasnake
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:10 am
Obvious choice, the definition of "is":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

"I never porked that teenage intern..."
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:11 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

IRFRANK wrote:
Strom Thurmond's speech on segregation in 1948. All the while screwing the black maid.

I'm pretty sure those events were sequential, not simultaneous.


too bad, that sounds like a political event i might attend
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:15 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Obvious choice, the definition of "is":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

"I never porked that teenage intern..."


to quote john prine

"i think that she may be
the oldest baby in the world"

monica was at least 21 (born in 73) when what went down, went down

so to speak
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  0  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:16 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
Strom Thurmond's speech on segregation in 1948. All the while screwing the black maid.


One thing I'd note: If Thurmond and the black maid ever had a son together, he (the kid) would look better than Trayvon Martin, that isn't asking for a hell of a lot....
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 11:10 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
Strom Thurmond's speech on segregation in 1948.
All the while screwing the black maid.
UNdoubtedly, Franky KNOWS this to be true,
because he was there looking.
0 Replies
 
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm not so sure. I think I will check out that time line.

Maybe not at the exact same time, but close.

Maybe that lady converted him?
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:13 pm
@IRFRANK,
I think you missed Joe's point. Was thurmond making that speech while screwing the maid?
0 Replies
 
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:16 pm
To set the record straight.

Strom born 1902

Fathered daughter with black maid - 1924
He was 22, she was 16.

Delivered segregation speech 1948.
I'm guessing his mixed race daughter who was 24 didn't live with him.

Fought against civil rights in 1957.

Never did admit to his daughter.


0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, EVERYONE! - Discussion by OmSigDAVID
WIND AND WATER - Discussion by Setanta
Who ordered the construction of the Berlin Wall? - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
True version of Vlad Dracula, 15'th century - Discussion by gungasnake
ONE SMALL STEP . . . - Discussion by Setanta
History of Gun Control - Discussion by gungasnake
Where did our notion of a 'scholar' come from? - Discussion by TuringEquivalent
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/27/2021 at 11:33:45