The San Fransisco 1906 earthquake

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 12:40 pm
Quote: The San Francisco earthquake of 1906 struck San Francisco and the coast of Northern California at 5:12 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18, 1906.

The most widely accepted estimate for the magnitude of the earthquake was 7.9 others from 7.7 and as high as 8.25. The main shock epicenter occurred offshore about 2 miles from the city, near Mussel Rock. It ruptured along the San Andreas Fault both northward and southward for a total of 296 miles

The The earthquake and resulting fire are remembered as one of the worst natural disasters in the history of the United States, alongside the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The death toll from the earthquake and resulting fire, estimated to be above 3,000,[8] is the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in California's history."

My Grand dad, one of the firemen, said, according to my dad, that the main reason for the uncontrollable fires were hundreds of gas leaks and bad structure The bricks were held together with lime and sand, not cement, and the gas pipes were held together with molten lead, not threaded screw-on fittings used today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,975 • Replies: 19
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 04:54 am
@Rickoshay75,
Don't forget to mention that most of San Francisco was made of wood and water pipes burst along with the gas. I tjink after the earthquake only one fire plug was operational in the whole city.

BTW no mention of the Floods Johnstown, Ohio River (1937), Missippi (1919?), or the tri state tornado (1927). Lots of natural, and in Johnstown's case 'not so natural', disasters to choose from?

Rap

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 07:06 pm
@Rickoshay75,
One pof the worst conditions that could occur in an earthquake prone area is the stability of the soil. MAy of the buildings would have stood or just suffered relatively fixable damages were the main area of the city underlain by rock or firm soil.
The soil structure in the area from the wharves to Sacramento Avenue are all underlain by SOils that act like ketchup. Ketchup will act like a solid if its not shaken. Once you shake it, the "interketchup" spaces(already water filled) will allow the water to meet with other water droplets and turn the ketchup into a flowing liquid mass. The buildings in SF sat atop "ketchupy" soils(these soils are actually gels) and the buildings actually sank and the leaking gas lines were trapped in spaces where stoves and heating furnaces were already cooking away. The flame and gas came into proximity because much of the building became a gas filled "balloon".
Fires were initiated all over the place and most fires were in the areas that had this "Ketchupy" soil. The condition of ketchupy soil is called "thixatropy"

Its why Mexico city had so much damage during its last big quake.

This is qhat I was told during an engineering geology field trip in the SF area many years ago (before the 89 quake, which also had lots of fires along Giradheli square and the docks)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 08:03 pm
I've always understood that the major damage caused to San Francisco in the 1906 quake was the result of fire rather than the earth tremors. As Rick has pointed out in his OP, one of the main causes for the fires starting was the poor pipe-fitting work of the day. And the main cause they couldn't be put out was that the quake had ruptured the water mains and, as a result, most of the fire-hydrants in the city were no longer operational.

Btw, it's not true that mot of the downtown buildings were all of wood. Quite a few masonry structures have survived to this day. Locals will gladly point them out to you. Enrico Caruso, who had performed at theOpera House the previous evening, was staying at the Palace Hotel, and lifted the spirits of the dazed and confused populace considerably by standing at his open hotel window and belting forth a few arias. (No idea if there's a record of just what was included in this impromptu program.)
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:53 am
My great grandfather left Japan by himself when he 15 years old. His ship landed in San Fransisco on the day of the quake. The city was on fire, and the ships were sent to Monterrey. He began living there, and worked as a farmer.

The great quake is a part of my family's history. It quite literally redirected my family. 77 years later on April 18th, 1983, I was born and my great grandfather gave me my name.

A
R
T
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 01:48 pm
@failures art,
Well, Art, the city of San Fran certainly gave your great grandfather a rousing welcome to these shores, didn't it?
failures art

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I like to think that he looked off the boat and saw the city burning, then reached into his pocket, and pulled out a travel pamphlet and thought curiously to himself...

Am I in the right place?
R
T
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:27 pm
For all of you who are not familiar with the attractions of the Bay Area:

If you ever happen to be near the waterfront in Oakland, just across the bay from S.F., be sure to stop in at the Last Chance Saloon, a watering hole that's been in the same place for well over 100 years. Legend has it that it was one of Jack London's favourite haunts. In 1906, the building was slightly damaged by the earthquake. By "slightly" I mean the foundation was rocked on its heels and settled down so that the floor of the bar room now slanted at about a 30 degree angle. They never fixed it. Don't go in there with a couple of drinks under your belt or you'll be sure to think you've had several too many. You walk uphill to get to the bar and downhill again to get to the exit. That, plus the earlier Jack London connection, makes the joint well worth visiting.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:28 pm
@failures art,
I recently discovered that my maternal grandfather (who died when I was 2) came to America through San Francisco also. Something we have in common, Art.

My family is of Italian heritage, so I always thought all my grandparents had come through Ellis Island…but just last year, one of my aunts mentioned (almost in passing) that my grandfather had actually gone from Italy to Switzerland for schooling…and from Switzerland to Argentina for a few years. Then he went to San Francisco…and worked his way across country to Long Island where he met and married my grandmother.

He was not there during the earthquake, but my father, while stationed at a naval base in San Diego did experience a severe earthquake…something he often mentioned was indelibly etched on his brain.

I’ve always been a bit jealous of my sister and my brother; both live in California and both have experienced earthquakes…and I have wanted to feel what it is like.

Then, last August, while working at this very keyboard, I got my chance. The east coast earthquake hit…and this room did a shake, rattle, and roll for 30 seconds. I knew instantly it was an earthquake…and ran outside to talk to neighbors. Several came out wondering what was going on. The news later that day confirmed what I told them.
failures art

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know how territorial people get with this sort of thing, but I was surprised to learn about the American adaptation of pizza from it's Italian culinary ancestor was developed in San Francisco, not New York City.

I love SF. It's one of the cities I could live in if I left DC.

A
R
The quake was my first too
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 02:54 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I don't know how territorial people get with this sort of thing, but I was surprised to learn about the American adaptation of pizza from it's Italian culinary ancestor was developed in San Francisco, not New York City.

For some reason I always thought it was Chicago.
failures art

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I may have spoke too soon. I was trying to find the origin because I was interested in reading more, but I found no validation. I know there is a pizza tie in with San Francisco, and now I'm going crazy trying to figure out what it is.

Perhaps it's a specific topping?

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:11 pm
@failures art,
I've had pizza in Italy...and I've had it in the United States.

I much, much prefer the pizza here in the United States. The Italians were obviously on to a good idea, but we Americans brought it to fruition.

Never thought about the origins, though, so I'm staying tuned.

Lustig, not sure if Chicago is the true source, but I have been assured that I would love Chicago pizza. I happen to like thick crusts...and I understand that Chicago pizzas normally have thicker crusts than east coast pizza.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:29 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza#Pizza_in_the_United_States

Quote:
Pizza first made its appearance in the United States with the arrival of Italian immigrants in the late 19th century. This was certainly the case in cities with large Italian populations, such as Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia where pizza was first sold on the streets of Italian neighborhoods. In late 19th century Chicago for example, pizza was introduced by a peddler who walked up and down Taylor Street with a metal washtub of pizzas on his head, selling his wares at two cents a chew. This was the way pizza used to be sold in Naples, in copper cylindrical drums with false bottoms that were packed with charcoal from the oven to keep the pizzas hot. It was not long until small cafes and groceries began offering pizzas to their Italian-American communities.

The first printed reference to "pizza" served in the US is a 1903 article in the Boston Journal.[14] The first "official" pizzeria in America is generally believed to have been founded by Gennaro Lombardi in Little Italy, Manhattan. Gennaro Lombardi opened a grocery store in 1897 which was later established as the first pizzeria in America in 1905 with New York's issuance of the mercantile license. An employee of his, Antonio Totonno Pero, began making pizza for the store to sell that same year. The price for a pizza was five cents but, since many people could not afford the cost of a whole pie, they would instead say how much they could pay and they were given a slice corresponding to the amount offered. In 1924, Totonno left Lombardi's to open his own pizzeria on Coney Island called Totonno's. While the original Lombardi's closed its doors in 1984, it was reopened in 1994 just down the street and is run by Lombardi's grandson.

Pizza was brought to the Trenton area of New Jersey very early as well, with Joe's Tomato Pies opening in 1910, followed soon by Papa's Tomato Pies in 1912. In 1936, De Lorenzo's Tomato Pies was opened. While Joe's Tomato Pies has closed, both Papa's and Delorenzo's have been run by the same families since their openings and remain among the most popular pizzas in the area. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven, Connecticut, was another early pizzeria which opened in 1925 (after the owner served pies from local carts and bakeries for 20–25 years) and is famous for its New Haven style Clam Pie. Frank Pepe's nephew Sal Consiglio opened a competing store, Sally's Apizza, on the other end of the block, in 1938. Both establishments are still run by descendants of the original family. When Sal died, over 2,000 people attended his wake, and the New York Times ran a half-page memoriam. The D'Amore family introduced pizza to Los Angeles in 1939.

Before the 1940s, pizza consumption was limited mostly to Italian immigrants and their descendants. The international breakthrough came after World War II. Allied troops occupying Italy, weary of their rations, were constantly on the lookout for good food. They discovered the pizzeria, and local bakers were hard-pressed to satisfy the demand from the soldiers. The American troops involved in the Italian campaign took their appreciation for the dish back home, touted by "veterans ranging from the lowliest private to Dwight D. Eisenhower".

According to an article in American Heritage Magazine, the modern pizza industry was born in the Midwestern United States. Ric Riccardo pioneered what became known as the Chicago-style deep dish pizza when, in 1943, he and Ike Sewell opened Pizzeria Uno in Chicago. Others might argue that the "modern pizza industry" began with the birth of Pizza Hut in Wichita, Kansas in 1958.

I'm still thinking there is some sort of tie in with San Francisco. It must be a topping.

A
R
T
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:52 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I'm still thinking there is some sort of tie in with San Francisco. It must be a topping.

In the late 19th century there were certainly plenty of Italian immigrants in northern California. North Beach in San Francisco, for example, is traditionally a "little Italy." They had come to work in the rcently planted vineyards of Napa Valley (and other valleys, as well) and the newly established citrus groves. They were experienced in this vineyard/orange grove work and were highly desireable workers. Oranges were a new item in California agriculture at this time. Did yourealize that during the California Gold Rush of the 1850s citrus fruit, primarily oranges, were all brought in by ship from Hawaii? They didn't grow those things in California.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:31 pm
Ice Cream and Jello Pizza--The San Francisco Earthquake treat.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:20 am
I've eaten at Geno's Numero Due in Chicago. Thick crust pizze seemed sufficiently ubiquitous that no one drew attention to it. North of Springfield, at least, what people elsewhere call "Chicago-style" is just called "pizza." In Southern Illinois, however, everything changes. There is a large Italian community in Southern Illinois, and although centered on Belleville (across the river from St. Louis), they are well entrenched throughout what folks from Chicago seem to think of as hill billy country. There is a town there, Herrin, which probably qualifies as the most red neck town in the region--yet the population has a large Italian contingent. One the finest Italian restaurants i've ever dined in was in Herrin, a pretty, old clapboard house turned into a restaurant.

In Carbondale, there is (or once was) a large pizza restaurant which dominated the delivery business--always a big deal in a college town, and Carbondale is the home of the second largest university in the state. They were well known for their thin crust pizza, which you could get crisp or soft, whole wheat or white. That Paglia's Pizza. They're still "down home boys" there, though--everyone, including the family themselves, pronounced the name "Pag-lee-eyes." While i was living there, they started offering thick crust pizza--a sop to the whiners from Chicago, i guess. Great pizza and homemade, family recipe sausage, too.
raprap

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:57 am
@Setanta,
My Grandad was from Herrin and although not Eye-Tael-ian, Bocce' Ball was his yard game--usually with bourbon and branchwater.

The name Pagalia Pizza still exists in 'Little Egypt.'

Rap
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:59 am
@raprap,
I'm glad to hear it, they make good pies. I remembered the name of the restaurant in Herrin (i think), i believe it was Mary's.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 03:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

For all of you who are not familiar with the attractions of the Bay Area:

If you ever happen to be near the waterfront in Oakland, just across the bay from S.F., be sure to stop in at the Last Chance Saloon, a watering hole that's been in the same place for well over 100 years. Legend has it that it was one of Jack London's favourite haunts. In 1906, the building was slightly damaged by the earthquake. By "slightly" I mean the foundation was rocked on its heels and settled down so that the floor of the bar room now slanted at about a 30 degree angle. They never fixed it. Don't go in there with a couple of drinks under your belt or you'll be sure to think you've had several too many. You walk uphill to get to the bar and downhill again to get to the exit. That, plus the earlier Jack London connection, makes the joint well worth visiting.

Fisherman's Wharf, in SF is also a historical place
0 Replies