gear

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:54 am
(1) Does "gear", which is so commonly used, means "great" or "leading" here?

Context:
Telecommunications gear giants Siemens and Huawei Technologies officially launched a joint venture to develop third-generation mobile communication products on Thursday.

(2)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 721 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:59 am
No- In that sentence, it means "equipment".

Quote:
gear (gîr)
n.

A toothed machine part, such as a wheel or cylinder, that meshes with another toothed part to transmit motion or to change speed or direction.
A complete assembly that performs a specific function in a larger machine.
A transmission configuration for a specific ratio of engine to axle torque in a motor vehicle.
Equipment, such as tools or clothing, used for a particular activity: fishing gear. See synonyms at equipment.
Clothing and accessories: the latest gear for teenagers.
Personal belongings, including clothing: keeps her gear in a trunk.
The harness for a horse.
Nautical.
A ship's rigging.
A sailor's personal effects.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:39 am
Thanks Phoenix.
Very Happy
Have you seen one of the definitions of the word gear is an adjective meaning "wonderful" or "very good"? I got it in one of my dictionaries.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:06 pm
That's an uncommon slang usage.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:51 pm
never heard it used like that oristar - no one would understand your meaning if you used it in that way.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:50 am
It was at Beatles-time; that slang came to America from England with them. Fab and Gear were good. Dollies or dolly-birds or birds were girls, and, as George Harrison taught us, that thing you sit on is a chair... well, it passed for wit at the time.

Those Mod-and-Rocker days are gone, and so is the use of gear to mean "very good"...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:51 am
Hi Wy,

What is difference between Beatles-time and Mod-and-Rocker days?
Beatles time, about 1950-1970, but Mod-and-Rocker days?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 01:40 pm
Mods and rockers with an s - plural

Mods and Rockers were just before the Beatles time. Mods were fashionably dressed and rode scooters and rockers were leather clad and rode motor bikes, they had fights at weekends for some reason as they didn't like each other! I don't know if it was an American thing, it may have just been in England, the others will tell you about the USA.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:00 pm
Mods and rockers were definitely a UK phenomenon. I would guess the rockers owed a debt to American singers like Eddie Cochran, but the mods were clearly a British invention, I'm sure.

There were people in the US who looked a lot like the British rockers, and they probably listened to the same music, more or less. Nothing like the mods here, though...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:13 am
Thanks Vivien and D'artagnan, now I've got a clear imagine for Mods and Rockers.Very Happy

PS. D'artagnan, does your screen name read as Dartagnan?
0 Replies