Racism in America

raprap

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 10:05 am
I wandered across this in a newscorp comments page.

Quote:
If Obama was white he'd be ahead in the polls by 20 points.

Now maybe I'm naive but I don't think that racism in America is quite that bad, but from reading newscorp comments I do recognize a fair amount of racist statements. It makes me wonder if these racist comments are serious or are they trolling.

Rap
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,823 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 10:17 am
I started a thread about racism a while back, the burden of which was that racism was endemic in the white population. Snood later commented that that was more or less true in the black population, too. I am bemused by the certitude about the number of "points" this affects, but not by the proposition itself.
raprap

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 10:35 am
@Setanta,
I also think 20 points is too high--I also think much of the racist comments on newscorp, even those comments that have nothing to do with presidential comments, is trolling.

At least I hope so.

If not, then the comments on something like being critical of the NYPD's practices of 'Stop, Search and Question' is truely disheartening.

Rap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 10:41 am
@raprap,
If he were white, he might pick up a few voters. He might lose a few others. The young and the liberal seem to be a significant part of his base, and I can't see him making further gains there if were a different race. Black voters are another part of his base, maybe because of his politics; maybe because of his race. Gain or lose some points, it might end up a wash.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:54 am
I believe that many people have their own definition of racism; therefore, many people are talking at cross-purposes about racism. Is racism always prejudice. Is racism always bigotry? Does racism mean we define another person inherently different, based on birth?

Personally, I think racism is poorly understood, since there is plenty of prejudice and bigotry between people of the same race. So, if that cannot be ameliorated, how can inter-race racism be addressed?

In my own opinion, racism might, for many people, be a hard-wired evolution driven emotion, that apparently preserved over eons certain tribes. It might be too early in mankinds history to think that labeling racism "bad" can eliminate it. We really only started "mixing" in the last century or two willingly; before that it might have just been the by-product of war or one group dominating another group.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
This doesn’t surprise me one bit! Racism is alive and well in this country.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/07/27/church-bans-black-couple-wedding.wlbt

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:56 pm
I believe a greater portion of the nation is racially tolerant today than just a few short years ago. But it is deeply ingrained in enough people to make it an issue for many years to come. The human is a territorial animal and anything that makes a group of people to be different can be used to stir a primal urge to defend oneself or act aggressively among the insecure and the bigots.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:37 am
48 years its been and we still have this racism, worries me how long it will take for homophobia to dissipate, probably long afer we have marriage rights.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg191/scaled.php?server=191&filename=54985052.jpg&res=landing
Foofie

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

48 years its been and we still have this racism, worries me how long it will take for homophobia to dissipate, probably long afer we have marriage rights.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg191/scaled.php?server=191&filename=54985052.jpg&res=landing

In my opinion, homophobia is just the other sign of the coin of misogyny, and it is related to anti-Semitism. The reason being that homophobes, I believe, glorify "the guy world" that we see in many male teenagers (known for a high level of homophobia). Homosexuality is a mockery of that guy world, in the mind of many a homophobe. So is the world of ladies. So, is the studious, restricted world in the "image" of Judaism. All just my opinion, but I think that many homophobes just glorify the guy world to the point where any deviation from it is a threat.

Until society promulgates a live and let live attitude, homophobia will be here, I believe. That may be awhile for much of the world, including the US. Let's be honest. Without tv, much of the country would just be the old early 20th century hick.
0 Replies