Will my ex-partner be convicted of "false imprisonment"?

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:09 pm
My (ex) boyfriend kept me against my will in my business premises alone for around six hours about two weeks ago. When I eventually escaped and got into my car to drive away, he followed me in his car and crashed into me 3 times eventually forcing me off the road. Two witnesses then stopped to help me and he drove off. The police are now dealing with the matter and have placed me at "high risk" of domestic violence but he has been bailed in the meantime and pleads not guilty to the charges of false imprisonment and dangerous driving. Do I stand any chance in court of him not getting away with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,354 • Replies: 18
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:17 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
i don't know, but if he did as you say, i hope so
Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:18 pm
@djjd62,
me too djjd62. me too
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:58 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Will the two witnesses be able to speak for you in court? I would imagine, if so you have a much better chance. Did you speak to the lawyer that will be handling the case in court? I would think that person would be best at letting you know how strong the case is against him.

I wish you well and be safe.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 03:06 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Is there any previous police involvement? Does he have a criminal record?
The dangerous driving might get him some jail time because it does seem there was in intent to maim, if not kill. During your confinement, were there any weapons used? Did he harm you?
He sounds like a bad dude. I hope things work out in your favour.
Are you safe now? Are there people around that can protect you or give you safe shelter?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:10 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
You should be talking to the district attorney if you're in the US. I'm sure your lawyer can direct you, and maybe get an appointment so you don't have to deal with it yourself. A conviction, or multiple convictions should be a slam dunk.

Get a restraining order.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 04:39 am
@roger,
hello everyone who kindly replied,

he has a lengthy previous record of assaults, gbh, burglary, theft, posession of drugs, affray, public disorder, criminal damage. He also had an alias I discovered when I was taken to the police station. I am in the UK so I dont think the jury are allowed to know this before hearing the trial. He had no weapons in the shop but when I tried to leave he dragged me back in causing me to fall. Luckily my witnesses to the driving are willing to go to court but I am woried he will just get done for dangerous driving and not false imprisonment which I think will just mean a driving ban. He has punched me in the face before and I foolishly took him back despite being warned that his violence would surface again. His defence is that the doors were not locked which is true but I was too scared to try and leave as he was shouting the whole time and like I said, when I did try to get out, he dragged me back in. I have a restraining order in place at the moment as part of his bail conditions.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 04:45 am
@Dorothy Parker,
I am in my house the whole time because one the one occassion I left and stayed overnight with my friend, the police called me to say my alrams had been activated which I assume means he had a key to my property (he has had access many times to my house keys during our relationship). I have since had all my locks changed.
JTT

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 08:02 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Quote:
My (ex) boyfriend kept me against my will in my business premises alone for around six hours about two weeks ago. When I eventually escaped and got into my car to drive away, he followed me in his car and crashed into me 3 times eventually forcing me off the road.

Both are very serious offences. And you say he got bail!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 08:49 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Egads, DorothyP, I'm sorry to hear this. Will be thinking of you. You might need to shore up the local talent - from getting acquainted with a good women's shelter and the people who run it, if only for present advice, and maybe they know some names of useful advisors, attorneys, useful police people, etc.

You might also look up some of JustBrooke's threads, she's wise about much of this kind of situation.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 09:23 am
@Dorothy Parker,
I am so sorry to hear that, Dorothy. I know you have a little girl and this must be frightening for her too.
I am not sure about UK laws but here in the U.S. I don't think he could have
made bail. False imprisonment, attempted murder would be enough to keep him in prison.

Just document everything that has happened and I hope he's convicted and
will pay for his crimes. Has he hurt you physicially in any other way?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 09:00 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Dorothy Parker wrote:

he has a lengthy previous record of assaults, gbh, burglary, theft, posession of drugs, affray, public disorder, criminal damage. ... He has punched me in the face before and I foolishly took him back despite being warned that his violence would surface again.

Dorothy, Dorothy, Dorothy. What were you thinking???

Regarding his defence, it's irrelevant if you knew the doors were locked or not. The fact is, he intimidated you, and with his history and if you get a decent lawyer, he'll go to jail. I wouldn't think ramming your car was attempted murder, but it's violent and that's not going to look good for him.

Get a good lawyer and don't go out with people like him again, for Pete's sake!
Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 10:05 am
@Mame,
Thanks for the replies everyone. His hearing to plead guilty or not came and went without any plea being reached due to some "loophole" and has now been put back until 15th August. I can't believe he got bail either. No, he had no weapons but he is very tall and very well built and strong and having had a punch in the face from him before, he would not need any weapon to hurt me badly.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:28 am
@Dorothy Parker,
After guilty plea he was given a 12 month driving ban with retest, 2 month curfew on electronic tag and anger management course.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:48 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Good to read that he got at least that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:50 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Screw him. How are you?
Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:52 am
@JPB,
Hiya JPB and Osso!

Yeah screw him. I'm ok thanks for asking. Just glad it's over to be honest.
JPB

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:20 am
@Dorothy Parker,
I can imagine. It's good to see you here and I'm glad that you're ok.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:28 am
@JPB,
Me too!
0 Replies