When or will cps act? These kids need help!

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 02:29 pm
I have recently made a call to VA CPS Hotline. Stating parents were living in their vehicle and motels with 3 small children for the past 7 months. They are also not providing adequate food or clothing. Not taking the oldest to school. Frequent acts of domestic violence occurs and there is suspected drug abuse. I’ve noted that they are currently on the run from wv cps and police. They have warrants out for them and the wv cps has been trying to open a case on them but they keep jumping state lines. they will not apply for state help for food and things of that nature due to not wanting to get caught by police. Now my question. I called anonymously so I won’t get a call back. In your opinion will this result in a family assessment or investigation from va cps? If so how long? We just want the kids in a safe environment. I know there is a difference between poverty and neglect. This reaches beyond poverty. They will not get the help they need or care for the kids like they need to because they’re afraid of going to jail for their warrants. When they ran to VA they had active domestic violence protective orders against each other and have warrants out that pertain to the domestic violence acts and child support for their first child they lost rights to about 5 years ago.

jespah

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 02:45 pm
@GreenBunny ,
We have no way of knowing a timetable any better than you do. Have you called the cops, too? CPS might be overloaded, so the more people on the lookout for these people, the better.

And where do you fit into this picture? Are these people family? Then instead of calling CPS, why don't you tell them you'll take in their kids?
GreenBunny

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:27 pm
@jespah,
We have recently let the police the know where they are located. We are family and we have tried to take in the kids with their permission. They were actually all living with us before they fled to Virginia. They have been homeless for going on 2 years now. Bouncing around family members houses. They came to ours last. That’s where they got word cps was looking to open a case and that’s when they fled to VA. Before they ran we asked them to let the kids stay with us till they got on their feet in VA but they didn’t want that. The worst part is is that they have no desire to get better. Which is why I said this reaches farther than just poverty. They just don’t care. He refuses to get a job that’s not “under the table”, she refuses to get a job at all. They think their living situation is great since their motel they mostly stay at is close to the beach. 😩 They think the oldest girl not going to school is fun for her. And they think living out of the soup kitchen is saving them money so they can buy cigarettes and other things. Several times they have had us order the kids pizza from a different state because they were hungry. Anyway we just don’t know what else to do. I know cps can’t act without an exact location and all I was able to give was a few of the motels they’ve stayed at and the county that they are staying in. The WV police and CPS cant do much where they are and they have put out several court orders to go back to WV that they ignore. We’re at the end of being able to do anything and it’s just heartbreaking. If they were really just poverty stricken and trying their best and keeping the kids fed, clothed, and healthy it would be different I know but that’s not the case.
jespah

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:36 pm
@GreenBunny ,
I understand now.

That is terrible (of course). How old is the eldest child? You say she's of school age. My idea here (I'm not a cop, not in CPS) is to see if you can appeal to them -- somehow -- to take in the eldest so she can have regular meals and go to school.

The parents may even be mentally ill (and I'm no doctor, either).

But at least when they call you to order pizza, you've got a clue as to where they are. You've got more than one phone in your home, yes? As in, a land line and a cell phone, or more than one cell phone? Then when the call comes in begging for pizza, you'll need to have an address for it to be delivered to. With the other phone, have someone (your spouse, if applicable, for instance) call the cops and tell them a child abuser/vagrant is going to be at such and such address. The police may or may not act but that's something. It will also be the start of establishing a record.

Contact the cops in Wheeling (or wherever) enough times, there will be a file opened up. Explain the situation just as you've explained it here. You feel the children are being neglected, possibly abused, and certainly being denied their right to an education. Call several times if you have to, both CPS and the cops.

I'm sorry it's all on you; I really am. But if you really want to help the kids, just one anonymous tip is probably not going to be enough.
GreenBunny

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:41 pm
@jespah,
Thank you so much! I will try these out! And yes the father is mentally ill. He suffers from bi polar disorder, a seizure disorder, and is at the mind level of a teenager. The mother is from an abusive and neglectful background so sees nothing wrong their situation. They just need help all around.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 22 Sep, 2018 07:17 am
If they would accept help from a shelter that serves complete families then maybe there could be an intervention. But what you have posted here: living in a car & not going to school, is not enough to warrant cps or the police . (They can claim home schooling)

Try to find shelter sources around where they are. Encourage them to take advantage of a bath and warm bed. If they get that far, then there will be intervention/ counseling. Don’t buy them any more food. Just tell them ehere they can go to get free meals. They will be flagged by staff for additional help.

I know this is so frustrating. I worked at outreach center and came across this a few times. They can’t last long. The car will break down, expired plates, need medical help at some point, etc.
0 Replies

LauraJane

Wed 26 Sep, 2018 07:39 am
@GreenBunny ,
Will calling VA cops lead to cps "family assessment" in Va? No. First, there's no such thing. Any "investigation" is a sham as CPS workers don't have investigative skills. CPS workers make no decisions. All decisions are handed down and so they will approach the situation based on their directive from higher ups. CPS operates on slight variations of the same cookie cutter approach which is why their level of effectiveness in any situation is a random numbers game. If cops are involved, they contact cps. Since the caller (you) mentioned drugs, they will likely immediately remove the children and the parents won't be able to pass the hair test. How long? CPS is funded quarterly and reassess every 90 days which is the point at which new information not previously brought up is introduced in order to keep the case open longer. Cases usually last about one year although after six months they will attempt to adopt out anyone under one year old. While they list the caller's information as "fact" at the same time they often (secretly, within their notes) accuse the caller of "parental alienation" used as a method to get custody for themselves. (I kid you not) In such cases they give the kids back to the bad parents upon clean drug results. You just want them in a safe environment. Foster Care as a safe environment is a gamble similar to Russian Roulette. If you want the children with you then I suggest you get a lawyer as soon as they are removed into foster care. Good luck!! :-)
0 Replies