I do not believe gods exist…but I do not believe there are no gods.

igm

Tue 15 May, 2012 09:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I see no unambiguous evidence that gods exist...

Could you explain what ambiguous evidence you see that gods exist?
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:08 am
@fresco,
Quote:
...and yet more nonsense about "not doing believing" !
Every time you cross a road junction on green you "believe" you are clear to proceed..... Every time you arrange a meeting for tomorrow you believe you and and the other party will still be alive to make it...etc,etc. As stated elsewhere, none of us, including you, would make a move out of bed without a plethora of "believing".

If you need believing...and you need to suppose everyone else does also...in order to be happy, Fresco, go for it.

I want you to be happy...I want everyone to be happy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:18 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
My problem is that it's an evasive, quibbling non-answer.

I think not, but I understand you do.

Quote:
I expect better from you.

I feel comfortable with what I have said. I would be pleased if you were more comfortable with it also.

Quote:
Anyway, you say "I express no belief in the existence of gods" doesn't accurately reflect your position…

Where did I do that? I thought I studiously avoided doing so.

Quote:
…, but that "I am not expressing a belief in the existence of gods" does reflect it. I fail to see the distinction.

If you truly see no distinction between my words and yours, Joe, and if I have not said your words are unsuitable…and that I simply prefer to use my words rather than yours...why are you so intent on getting me to use your words rather than allowing me to use my own?

Quote:
But this reveals far more about your personal motivations than about your intellectual position. For some reason you are intractably wedded to this largely incoherent formulation of your position, and this narcissistic thread is primarily designed to stroke your ego rather than to engage in any kind of constructive dialogue. If you are satisfied with expressing yourself in a muddled, incomprehensible fashion, then I certainly won't stop you.

Respectfully as possible, that seems at odds with what you are doing, Joe.

And there is absolutely no need for “intractably wedded to this largely incoherent formulation” or “narcissistic thread” or “stroke your ego” or “muddled, incomprehensible fashion.” Why do you think that kind of thing is necessary?
InfraBlue

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

. . .I prefer to use words other than "believe" or "belief" because I see those words as ambiguous.

Ironically, Frank dislikes the use of the word "belief" because of its ambiguity, yet he continues to use the words "god" and "reality" which themselves are ambiguous, and as Frank has said, he cannot articulate what he means by them.
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:20 am
@igm,
Quote:

There was a question I asked you. Please answer it...then I will consider your next question.
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:21 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Ironically, Frank dislikes the use of the word "belief" because of its ambiguity, yet he continues to use the words "god" and "reality" which themselves are ambiguous, and as Frank has said, he cannot articulate what he means by them.

Is this the time where everyone gets together and sings, Hail, Hail, the gang's all here?
0 Replies

igm

Tue 15 May, 2012 10:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

There was a question I asked you. Please answer it...then I will consider your next question.

Why? and What was it (I cannot see a question that needs to be answered)? I hope you're not being evasive. Surely it's your topic and therefore questions must be welcome because you get a chance to explain your position.
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

joefromchicago

Tue 15 May, 2012 11:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If you truly see no distinction between my words and yours, Joe, and if I have not said your words are unsuitable…and that I simply prefer to use my words rather than yours...why are you so intent on getting me to use your words rather than allowing me to use my own?

I initially had the sense that you started this thread because you were frustrated at having your position misunderstood. And I can understand why you were being misunderstood -- your position, as formulated, is a mess. Since I entered this thread, I have been trying to understand exactly what your position is. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, I'm trying to get you to explain what you mean.

If what you mean is that you take no position on the existence of gods, that's something I can comprehend. I don't understand why you don't say that instead of saying "I do not believe gods exist, but I do not believe there are no gods," since the former is far more intelligible and defensible than the latter, but that's your choice. As I said, if you're comfortable being misunderstood, that's your affair.

Frank Apisa wrote:
And there is absolutely no need for “intractably wedded to this largely incoherent formulation” or “narcissistic thread” or “stroke your ego” or “muddled, incomprehensible fashion.” Why do you think that kind of thing is necessary?

Some people need to indulge in simplified spelling schemes or engage in endless anti-American screeds or fancy themselves as contrarians on all issues of custom and morality in order to draw attention to themselves. You've chosen to be a martyr to an intentionally obscure phrase. Beats me why you or anyone else thinks that's necessary, but there you have it.
failures art

Tue 15 May, 2012 11:21 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
If what you mean is that you take no position on the existence of gods, that's something I can comprehend. I don't understand why you don't say that instead of saying "I do not believe gods exist, but I do not believe there are no gods," since the former is far more intelligible and defensible than the latter, but that's your choice. As I said, if you're comfortable being misunderstood, that's your affair.

Agreed. This would be much better for Frank. It seems his resistance to this is caught up in his repulsion to accepting that he's weak atheist, and he can't handle that word "atheist."

It's a facade. He's pealing off all the labels on his atheist beer bottles, and taping on his own branding. People take a drink and say, "wow, this tastes like atheist beer!" Frank replies "Nope! Didn't you see the label?"

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:03 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Why?

Because.

Quote:
... and What was it (I cannot see a question that needs to be answered)?

Go back and look for sentences that are punctuated with question marks. They are questions.

Quote:
I hope you're not being evasive.

I am not.

Quote:
Surely it's your topic and therefore questions must be welcome because you get a chance to explain your position.

I have been explaining quite a bit here.
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

I initially had the sense that you started this thread because you were frustrated at having your position misunderstood. And I can understand why you were being misunderstood -- your position, as formulated, is a mess. Since I entered this thread, I have been trying to understand exactly what your position is. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, I'm trying to get you to explain what you mean.

Joe, everything I have said here has been fairly straightforward. I’ve explained myself…and then called attention to my explanations.

If they do not satisfy you, what can I say?

I want to use my words…and I have explained why my words mean exactly what they say. You apparently want me to use your words. I am not going to do that.

Quote:
Some people need to indulge in simplified spelling schemes or engage in endless anti-American screeds or fancy themselves as contrarians on all issues of custom and morality in order to draw attention to themselves. You've chosen to be a martyr to an intentionally obscure phrase. Beats me why you or anyone else thinks that's necessary, but there you have it.

Whatever. I am not a martyr. I have said what I have to say and there is absolutely nothing obscure about any phrase that I have used. And there YOU have it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:10 pm
@failures art,

Quote:
Agreed. This would be much better for Frank. It seems his resistance to this is caught up in his repulsion to accepting that he's weak atheist, and he can't handle that word "atheist."

It's a facade. He's pealing off all the labels on his atheist beer bottles, and taping on his own branding. People take a drink and say, "wow, this tastes like atheist beer!" Frank replies "Nope! Didn't you see the label?"

I am not a weak atheist. I am sure I have mentioned this before. If I use a label, the correct one would be "agnostic."

Agnostics do share some traits in common with (weak) atheists...but that does not make me a weak atheist.
igm

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
By the way, Joe, earlier I asked:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, you say "I express no belief in the existence of gods" doesn't accurately reflect your position…

Where did I do that? I thought I studiously avoided doing so.

Of course you do not have to answer any questions, but I was wondering whether you gave this one any consideration...and if you would answer it.
igm

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I understand you have ambiguous evidence that gods exist, pray tell.
igm

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:46 pm
We all now know this is a 'Bait Thread' so for this one topic... i.e. only this one topic... let's all leave Frank to it and try to resist posting again... just a thought.
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:50 pm
@igm,
Quote:
I understand you have ambiguous evidence that gods exist, pray tell.

I do???

Have I asserted that somewhere?

Where?

Frank Apisa

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:51 pm
@igm,
Quote:
We all now know this is a 'Bait Thread' so for this one topic... i.e. only this one topic... let's all leave Frank to it and try to resist posting again... just a thought.

Sounds like a plan.

Let's see how you do with that!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 15 May, 2012 12:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Of course you do not have to answer any questions, but I was wondering whether you gave this one any consideration...and if you would answer it.

I asked if the statement I proposed accurately reflected your position. In response, you said your statement accurately reflected your position -- a typically evasive non-answer on your part that I interpreted as a "no." Don't bother explaining how you've been misinterpreted. That has grown tiresome.
Joe Nation

Tue 15 May, 2012 01:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank :
Quote:
I do not believe there are no gods.

means you leave open the possibility that there might be some floating around out there.
igm has been lead to think that you might have reason to leave that possibility open.

Joe(vas iz?)Nation