I do not believe gods exist…but I do not believe there are no gods.

failures art

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

What is a god?

Feel free to rearrange those four words so you can answer it.

Joe(the disappointment)Nation

Rearranging words is part of the problem in this thread.

Alias(also waiting)Nation
R
T
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:42 pm
@igm,
Quote:
You said it... we're just trying to help you with your delusion and to make you feel wanted... what can we say... bud. You do remember saying how much you were enjoying all of this posting? How interesting and amusing you found it?

I still do find it interesting and amusing.

And I have thanked you for it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's interesting.

Now, how about actually answering my question?
reasoning logic

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

It also is interesting to me that you think most people would agree with you...and find my position to be "marching out of step."

Very interesting.

Frank do you not think, "that most people think, you march to the beat of a different drum?? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

C'mon, Joefromchicago. You gotta do better than that!

igm

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
I see... you mean like how a new born person is by default a 'baby'.

So you are sticking with the notion that a newborn is an atheist because it does not have a belief in a god. You consider that sensible, reasonable, logical.

Okay...I get you. Stick with it.

Quote:
You stick with what makes sense to you. You're the one marching in time the rest of the troops are out of step...

Yeah, I think the notion is nuts. I think it makes no sense; is not reasonable; and is not logical.

It also is interesting to me that you think most people would agree with you...and find my position to be "marching out of step."

Very interesting.

A Google search bring up about 97,000 hits for "atheism is the default position" it seems to get theists in a real 'tizzy' perhaps agnostics have something in common with theists... kindred spirits so-to-speak. I prefer theists though because they have a reason to be a theist... there is a benefit. So to with atheism.

Beats me what agnostics that both put down god and gods (as you have done Frank... tut... tut.. all that stuff about they can suck your... c??? etc tut.. tut) and look down on atheists get out of be agnostic... I'll probably never know...
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Frank do you not think that most people, think that you march to the beat of a different drum??

I am sure many people think I march to the beat of a different drummer.

But we were discussing the "all newborns are atheists" situation. I'd certainly be willing to stand in Times Square and ask people at random if they march with you or with me on the issue. And I am confident more would hear the tune I am hearing.
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:59 pm
@igm,
Quote:
A Google search bring up about 97,000 hits for "atheism is the default position" ...

A Google search for Santa Claus is real...brings up about 22,000,000 hits.

Go figure!
igm

Tue 29 May, 2012 03:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
A Google search bring up about 97,000 hits for "atheism is the default position" ...

A Google search for Santa Claus is real...brings up about 22,000,000 hits.

Go figure!

Good answer! Thanks Frank...!!!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
C'mon, Joefromchicago. You gotta do better than that!

That's interesting.

0 Replies

igm

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank do you not think that most people, think that you march to the beat of a different drum??

I am sure many people think I march to the beat of a different drummer.

But we were discussing the "all newborns are atheists" situation. I'd certainly be willing to stand in Times Square and ask people at random if they march with you or with me on the issue. And I am confident more would hear the tune I am hearing.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120504153631AAvmrBQ

True or false: Newborn babies are Atheists by default?
4 weeks ago Report Abuse

Joe Friday
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It's probably the word that describes them best. A baby doesn't have a concept of God just like they don't have a concept of language. In that respect they are atheist in the same way they are a-lingual. Others have tried to make the case that babies are agnostic since they are neither theist nor atheist. However that won't work because agnosticism requires the person to at least understand the concept of God. That's why the word atheist, though imperfect, is the best way to describe a baby, at least until someone coins a new word for it.
reasoning logic

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'd certainly be willing to stand in Times Square and ask people at random if they march with you or with me on the issue. And I am confident more would hear the tune I am hearing.

Are you sure that you would be willing to do that? I would be happy if you just stood in front of your local Walmart and asked people as they walked in.
Could you make us a video of your encounter so that we can experience it as well?
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:11 pm
@igm,
Quote:
4 weeks ago Report Abuse

Joe Friday

It's probably the word that describes them best. A baby doesn't have a concept of God just like they don't have a concept of language. In that respect they are atheist in the same way they are a-lingual. Others have tried to make the case that babies are agnostic since they are neither theist nor atheist. However that won't work because agnosticism requires the person to at least understand the concept of God. That's why the word atheist, though imperfect, is the best way to describe a baby, at least until someone coins a new word for it.

Well...I guess that pretty much decides it in your mind!

So stick with it.

You say newborn babies are atheists...and I say that is nonsense.

And you think I am the one marching to a different drummer!

I love this forum!
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Are you sure that you would be willing to do that? I would be happy if you just stood in front of your local Walmart and asked people as they walked in.
Could you make us a video of your encounter so that we can experience it as well?

Only if you would stand with me presenting your side of the issue!

It would be fun...and take my word for it--there are more people in Times Square than at the local Walmart.
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Re: igm (Post 4997381)
Quote:
Quote:
4 weeks ago Report Abuse

Joe Friday

So stick with it.

I love this forum!

The question itself reminds me of those bumper stickers from a while back "I'D RATHER BE DEAD THAN RED!"

Shouldn't there have been a few other choices???

On the "babies are atheists" question...wouldn't it have made more sense not to call them theists, atheists, or agnostics...rather than trying to increase the thin ranks of the atheists by claiming them "default" atheists?

But I guess you wanted to go for the laugh!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:18 pm
And less this gets lost:

I do not believe gods exist...I also do not believe gods do not exist.

Does anyone see any contradiction or illogical element to that situation?
igm

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
4 weeks ago Report Abuse

Joe Friday

So stick with it.

I love this forum!

Where is your argument against it? No where to be seen as usual. It the old problem you want to have your own definition for words... we the ones out of step with you go with the actual definition of the word 'atheist' and that makes babies atheist by default. Just saying that is not correct is not an argument. I have argued for it and you haven't... my view stands... you may as well be silent on the matter because you offer no rebuttal of my argument for it.

Babies are atheist until you show us otherwise via a reasoned argument.
reasoning logic

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I thought that you would be able to do it alone because you said you would

Quote:
ask people at random if they march with you or with me on the issue
Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I thought that you would be able to do it alone because you said you would...

Ahhh...you "thought."

That might be the problem!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:58 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Where is your argument against it? No where to be seen as usual. It the old problem you want to have your own definition for words... we the ones out of step with you go with the actual definition of the word 'atheist' and that makes babies atheist by default. Just saying that is not correct is not an argument. I have argued for it and you haven't... my view stands... you may as well be silent on the matter because you offer no rebuttal of my argument for it.

Babies are atheist until you show us otherwise via a reasoned argument.

American Heritage Dictionary: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

(No babies there!)

Merriam-Webster: one who believes that there is no deity

(no babies there!)

Cambridge Online Dictionary: someone who believes that God or gods do not exist

(no babies there!)

Webster’s New World Dictionary: An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of any kind of God or higher power.

(no babies there!)

Are you seeing a trend here, igm?