What is your justification for thinking?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 03:27 pm
@Thomas,
Yes. I think daily, and to excess.

I've tied to stop. Even succeeded for short periods of time, but zen I fall off the wagon.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 04:54 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Nope. I got an A in philosphy in college. I figure I thunk enough along those lines. (BTW, my prof said that he thought I had a very unusual mind.)

Well, you had an unusually perceptive prof, obviously.

I minored in philsoophy. So very little of the nonsense posted on A2k by the resident philosophers is actually new to me. But these guys here (and I don't want to mention any names -- you know who you are) who haunt the pholosophy/theology threads and pounce on any topic at all have the unenviable gift of just plain ovderthinking everything. It's obvious from the replies of some that they've given the matter under discussion a great deal of thought. A great deal less thought might have led to a far preferable conclusion and certainly a more readable summary of one's point of view.

I'm a firm believer in the law of gravity, for instance. I don't have to think about whether it's self-delusional to believe this.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
but zen I fall off the wagon.

Didn't they tell you that puns are the lowest form of cognitive substance abuse? You'll hit rock bottom in no time, mister!
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:38 pm
@Thomas,
And if he really zen fell off the wagon, how does he know it was not the wagon which moved from under him?
Thomas

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:26 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
And if he really zen fell off the wagon, how does he know it was not the wagon which moved from under him?

Since he has already admitted his thinking habit, I think he arrived at this conclusion by thinking. DrewDad is pathetic that way.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:31 pm
@Thomas,
but if he had arrived at the conclusion wouldn't he have just stepped down from the wagon?

Joe(before the wagon was way gone)Nation
Thomas

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'd have to think about that. (Juuuuust this one thought. I'll stop after that. Honest!)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:39 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I'd have to think about that. (Juuuuust this one thought. I'll stop after that. Honest!)

Where have I heard that before? I'll just have the one thought. But then one thought leads to another and another and before you know it, you're coming up with full-blown hypotheses and cock-a-mamie theories.
Thomas

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 07:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ain't that the truth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 08:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

but if he had arrived at the conclusion wouldn't he have just stepped down from the wagon?

Joe(before the wagon was way gone)Nation

or did the wagon step up from him?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 04:19 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Since he has already admitted his thinking habit, I think he arrived at this conclusion by thinking. DrewDad is pathetic that way.

So you have gotten into that name-calling nonsense also, Thomas. Another thing I never woulda thought about you.

Disappointing.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 04:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Er....you understand Thomas is playing, don't you?

Or did I not get that YOU are playing?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 05:29 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Er....you understand Thomas is playing, don't you?

Actually, if Thomas is just playing here rather than slinging an insult, I truly did miss it.

It sounded like an insult to me, but I have been wrong before...although I didn't think I would make this year's mistake this early in the year.

If it has happened, however, I apologize.
jcboy

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 06:12 am
I have to cut the grass today and was about the get the lawnmower out of the garage, I gave it a little thought, I should wait another hour so I don’t wake my neighbors.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 06:14 am
@jcboy,
We actually have a law here in Piscataway NJ that requires everyone to wait until after 8:00 on a weekend to do any mowing!
wandeljw

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 07:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
Most of us are treating this as a "parody" thread, Frank. Thomas surely was.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 02:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If it has happened, however, I apologize.

No need. After all, you know I'm a card-carrying member of "Citizens Against Irony". So of course you missed my relapse into this gateway habit that so often leads to thinking. I'm the one who needs to apologize.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 02:12 pm
@Thomas,
You can fix this by throwing away your iron, as I have.
Well, that's a fib, I only tossed the board.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 02:15 pm
@Thomas,
I don't think so.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 02:52 pm
Who accused us of thinking?