Oedipus Help!!!

Swim81

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:13 pm
I have to do a paper on Oedipus. "How did Oedipus' sufferring purify him?" Please, I need help!!

ASAP
Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:16 pm
Hi Swim, welcome. How about you give us a summary of what you got out of reading Oedipus Rex first? Did you not feel that he was redeemed at the end of his suffering? Perhaps a comparison with the story of Job would be interesting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
Hmmm - you might wish to look at things like "seeing" - eg being blind when he had eyes, vs seeing when he had them not.

In the beginning of the play (you are looking at Sophocles' version, Oedipus Rex?) he is quick to anger and judge - at the end he is aware of his own fallibility and judges only himself.

Perhaps look at his embracing of poverty and humility at the end, and his quest for forgiveness, which Theseus provides (we call it forgiveness, the greeks probably regarded it as purging of the sin - as cleansing - hence purification - you might want to look at the concepts of cleansing in ancient greece) so he can die.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:18 am
Well, there are quite a few versions about Oedipus, starting with Homer and Sophocles (and additionally to the Greek, the similar folk versions in Albania, Finland and Cyprus).

Oedipus Rex by Stravinsky, André Gide's Oedipe and Jean Cocteau's La Machine infernale, Freud's Oedipus complex are related as well.

Btw: welcome to A2K, Swim81!
0 Replies

Swim81

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:23 am
Oedipus
I believe that due to his sufferring Oedipus became a free man. He finally found out who he was. Is that good enough to write on?
0 Replies

Swim81

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:24 am
Oedipus
Thsi is Oedipus the king.
0 Replies