Differences in names?

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:43 pm
What is the difference between The UK, Great Britain, and England.....I feel like I already know this, but I'm not sure.....Help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
"England" is that part of the island of Britain that is neither Wales nor Scotland.

"Great Britain" was the country's name after the Act of Union of 1707. In effect, "Great Britain" is England + Wales + Scotland + a few other scattered islands.

"United Kingdom" was the formal name given to the country after the 1801 Act of Union, which added Ireland to Great Britain. In 1927, after Ireland gained its independence, the UK became "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."
0 Replies

Related Topics

WIND AND WATER - Discussion by Setanta
Who ordered the construction of the Berlin Wall? - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
True version of Vlad Dracula, 15'th century - Discussion by gungasnake
ONE SMALL STEP . . . - Discussion by Setanta
History of Gun Control - Discussion by gungasnake
Where did our notion of a 'scholar' come from? - Discussion by TuringEquivalent
  1. Forums
  2. » Differences in names?
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/20/2022 at 11:49:42