USAToday's Naive Grand Headline Mistake

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 10:51 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

In Aeronautics and Space Science, such simple mistake sometimes kills.
YOU SHOULD NOT MAKE SUCH MISTAKE IN SUCH IMPORTANT POSITION. Because USAToday online faces more than one hundred million readers!

I believe you're correct about the grammatical mistake but your assessment of the periodical's position of importance is a tad too much. We are talking about the USA Today not the New York Times, the Christian Science Monitor, or any other Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper of august reputation. Just be glad that this newspaper still uses any words instead of infographics, photographs, and wordless comic panels to illustrate all of its newsstories. One day the USA Today will only have one word articles and consider them in depth reporting.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 11:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
We are talking about the USA Today not the New York Times, the Christian Science Monitor, or any other Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper of august reputation.

How could a newspaper that provides cover for war crimes/war criminals/terrorist activities, like the New York Times, be considered to have an "august reputation", Tsars?

The number of grammatical slip ups would probably be pretty much the same for all newspapers.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 12:08 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
We are talking about the USA Today not the New York Times, the Christian Science Monitor, or any other Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper of august reputation.
JTT wrote:
How could a newspaper that provides cover for war crimes/war criminals/terrorist activities, like the New York Times, be considered to have an "august reputation", Tsars?

The number of grammatical slip ups would probably be pretty much the same for all newspapers.
I can see the possibility
that one newspaper will have better quality editing than another one,
depending on personnel and filosofy thereof.

I dispute the existence of any such alleged "war crimes" etc.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 12:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I can see the possibility
that one newspaper will have better quality editing than another one,
depending on personnel and filosofy thereof.

The philosophy of all US newspapers would be to maximize exposure of their product. Given that a huge portion of American readers are of the grammatically brain dead Strunk & White generations, most newspapers try to adhere to the old canards that y'all were taught.

These would be the same old wives tales that you try to [pretending that you are some language expert] foist on unsuspecting youth and A2K readers, Om.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 12:40 pm
@JTT,
I reject your accusation
that I have set myself up as any expert on language.
I never did; I never will. I have merely argued the logic on the merits,
the same as adding a row of numbers.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 12:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I reject your accusation
that I have set myself up as any expert on language.

Then stop offering your inane advice to those who frequent A2K. You don't grasp that plumping the nonsense of a half century of Strunk & White, the much longer drivel of the Goold Browns only serves to perpetuate this crap.

Quote:
I have merely argued the logic on the merits,
the same as adding a row of numbers.

You have never, not a once argued language on its merits. You haven't even come close to doing so. You have been bested each and every time you raise a single point of your drivel, like the one quote above.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 02:33 pm
@JTT,
That 's just more typical babbling of JTT.

Note that I will, of course,
disregard his order to stop my language-based comments.
No one need be an expert to offer such comments,
just as no one need be a mathematician just to add a row of numbers.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 03:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

That's true, Dave. But you'd think that someone with your terrible track record might consider refraining altogether or at least explaining at the outset that you know very little about the workings of language.
George

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 04:55 pm
JTT
OmSigDavid

Who's the Hottie?
Who's the Nottie?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 07:07 pm
@JTT,
But In 2011, Time magazine listed Strunk & White's The Elements of Style as one of the 100 best and most influential books written in English since 1923. JTT
oristarA

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 07:13 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

So please recommend some newspapers for us to read, JTT.
I always feel from your tirade that there is no newspaper at all for me to read.
I often read GuardianUnlimited. How about the newspaper?
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 08:16 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
But In 2011, Time magazine listed Strunk & White's The Elements of Style as one of the 100 best and most influential books written in English since 1923. JTT

There's no doubt that it has been influential, Ori. It has been exceptionally influential. Influential does not in any way equate to 'best'. That TIME magazine might think so is because they too were steeped in that dung heap.

Simply because it has been so influential, Americans are some of the most ignorant folks on the planet when it comes to English grammar.

Quote:
April 17, 2009
50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice
By Geoffrey K. Pullum

April 16 is the 50th anniversary of the publication of a little book that is loved and admired throughout American academe. Celebrations, readings, and toasts are being held, and a commemorative edition has been released.

I won't be celebrating.

The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

The authors won't be hurt by these critical remarks. They are long dead. William Strunk was a professor of English at Cornell about a hundred years ago, and E.B. White, later the much-admired author of Charlotte's Web, took English with him in 1919, purchasing as a required text the first edition, which Strunk had published privately. After Strunk's death, White published a New Yorker article reminiscing about him and was asked by Macmillan to revise and expand Elements for commercial publication. It took off like a rocket (in 1959) and has sold millions.

This was most unfortunate for the field of English grammar, because both authors were grammatical incompetents. Strunk had very little analytical understanding of syntax, White even less. Certainly White was a fine writer, but he was not qualified as a grammarian. Despite the post-1957 explosion of theoretical linguistics, Elements settled in as the primary vehicle through which grammar was taught to college students and presented to the general public, and the subject was stuck in the doldrums for the rest of the 20th century.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497
JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 08:25 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
So please recommend some newspapers for us to read, JTT.
I always feel from your tirade that there is no newspaper at all for me to read.
I often read GuardianUnlimited. How about [the] that newspaper?

I've not suggested that you should stop reading any newspaper or magazine, Ori, in your quest to advance your level of English. The NYT is certainly competent in its use of English, though they do have editors that have been steeped in Strunk & White that are as ignorant on some aspects of English as the general population.

If Joseph Goebbels was still writing propaganda, in English, he could be a valid source for the study of language.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 09:16 pm
@oristarA,
It's not a big deal that a newspaper made a grammar mistake. It happens all the time and considering the number of words in each edition you would expect an error now and then. Nice job for the catch but don't get bent out of shape over it. (And don't confuse readership with quality - I'd read my local paper before USA Today anytime.)
roger

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 09:27 pm
@engineer,
So would I, and we usually call it The Daily Disappointment.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 09:33 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

There's no doubt that it has been influential, Ori. It has been exceptionally influential. Influential does not in any way equate to 'best'. That TIME magazine might think so is because they too were steeped in that dung heap.

Simply because it has been so influential, Americans are some of the most ignorant folks on the planet when it comes to English grammar.

Quote:
April 17, 2009
50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice
By Geoffrey K. Pullum

April 16 is the 50th anniversary of the publication of a little book that is loved and admired throughout American academe. Celebrations, readings, and toasts are being held, and a commemorative edition has been released.

I won't be celebrating.

The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

The authors won't be hurt by these critical remarks. They are long dead. William Strunk was a professor of English at Cornell about a hundred years ago, and E.B. White, later the much-admired author of Charlotte's Web, took English with him in 1919, purchasing as a required text the first edition, which Strunk had published privately. After Strunk's death, White published a New Yorker article reminiscing about him and was asked by Macmillan to revise and expand Elements for commercial publication. It took off like a rocket (in 1959) and has sold millions.

This was most unfortunate for the field of English grammar, because both authors were grammatical incompetents. Strunk had very little analytical understanding of syntax, White even less. Certainly White was a fine writer, but he was not qualified as a grammarian. Despite the post-1957 explosion of theoretical linguistics, Elements settled in as the primary vehicle through which grammar was taught to college students and presented to the general public, and the subject was stuck in the doldrums for the rest of the 20th century.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Thanks for the information, JTT.
What is vital for learning good English grammar is:
Without Strunk & White's, what grammatical masterpiece can serve as an example for us to follow?

JTT

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 09:48 pm
@oristarA,
You are most welcome, Ori. The words S&W shouldn't even be written in close proximity to words such as grammatical masterpiece.

For ESL/EFLs, the following are excellent sources.

The Grammar Book: An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course, Second Edition by Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman (Jul 24, 1998)

This one is particularly good because it makes note of common ESL mistakes due to mother language interference.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Grammar-Book-Teachers-Edition/dp/0838447252/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336362164&sr=1-1

Practical English Usage - Michael Swan

Another one that is pointedly for EFL.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=michael+swan+practical+english+usage&sprefix=Michael+Swan%2Cstripbooks%2C273&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Amichael+swan+practical+english+usage&ajr=1

MWDEU Merriam Websters' Dictionary of English Usage

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Merriam+Websters%27+Dictionary+of+English+Usage+

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 May, 2012 11:46 pm
@JTT,

DAVID wrote:
JTT wrote:
That's true, Dave. But you'd think that someone with your terrible track record might consider refraining altogether or at least explaining at the outset that you know very little about the workings of language.
That is your delusion; it fails to impress me.

David
0 Replies