Someone considers your opinion important

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:28 am
Friday, February 13, 2004 CNN
Soldier held on suspicion of aiding al Qaeda

A National Guard Soldier at Fort Lewis Washington, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of trying to pass information about military capabilities to al Qaeda through an Internet chat room, U.S. military officials said.

Law enforcement personnel were monitoring the chat room looking for people who might try to give up information, and Anderson allegedly tried to offer some to al Qaeda

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/13/natl.guard.arrest/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 927 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:55 am
I don't know if he did it or not, but what gets me is that he was convicted without a trial. Picture in the paper and everything. This is the Ashcroft form of justice. Ruin peoples lives before the conviction. Even if he is found innocent he will never be able to show his face in public.

I know the military has a different justice system though...

Why would anybody plan something illegal over the computer? There's a digital trail that follows everything you do.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:27 am
Quote:
Anderson was being held at a correctional facility at Fort Lewis pending criminal charges, Army spokesman Stephen Barger said.

He said it could be four or five days before charges are filed.

This quote was from the linked article. The man was ARRESTED, not CONVICTED!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
What impresses me is that law enforcement officials are monitoring online chat rooms.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:24 am
Acquiunk- And I would bet that they gather a lot of important information that way!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
I would be surprised if they were not monitoring chatrooms and (ahem) political discussion sites. I don't know the legality, but they are pretty much open to the public.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:55 am
When someone is arrested for Drunk Driving here in Florida, the law States that they must spend 8 hours in jail immediately (where there is an internet cam broadcasting detainees). You lose your license and then have to prove there was no grounds for taking it at an administrative hearing, decided on a preponderance of the evidence (not beyond a reasonable doubt). This is necessary just to get your license back for the duration of time between the arrest and trial. You are even required to pay for a copy of the evidence against you. This is Florida's idea of being presumed innocent until proven guilty. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
OC
the other message is don't drink and drive
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:09 pm
Without question Husker. "Due process" is designed to protect the innocent... not the guilty.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:28 pm
I am getting the impression that due process is slowly eroding in this country in favor of the use of the courts to arbitrarily deal with issues (mostly social or national security) that generate a great deal of anxiety.
0 Replies