Discussion or Debate? How to Tell the Difference

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:45 pm
Wanted to say something like - but Set did it so well and I agree

Setanta wrote:
i have tried to "clean up my act." I think it not unreasonable to point out that many here may have brought bad habits with them to this board, which were acquired during the decline and fall of AFUZZ.

I'm trying to be better...... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
but, but, but, Husker. I thought that you were squeaky clean.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:51 pm
I'm the only "one without sin" on this site, Letty.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:56 pm
That's a euphemism for virgin.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
Letty
Well I might have tossed out an ad hominem slice here and there, in a few moments of being less that who I really am.

But you know I wash up real well. (real well)!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:01 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
That's a euphemism for virgin.

LOL - you can almost chronologically call me dad LOL well no ROTFLMAO!

I do have pure thoughts! Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:18 pm
Husker's strength is as the strength of ten men, because his heart is pure . . .

. . . bs, pure bs . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:20 pm
Now, ladies and gentlemen. This is more like it.

Shall we gather at the river?

Gus is a virgin,
Husker is clean
Craven is cracking jokes

Time for an old fashioned revival hour. Razz

Phoenix. Ya done good!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:23 pm
and Setanta, get outta Gus's pasture and take off your shoes before you come into my kitchen.

but as Annie Sullivan said, "cleanliness is next to nothing." Well, she said it in the movie, anyway.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Quote:
I'm all for avoiding unecessary confrontation. But that isn't the topic of this thread. This thread is tantamount to asking people to shut up and not have the audacity to disagree with others

Craven- Nope. I think that you didn't "get" my drift at all. I am all for disagreement where it is appropriate. That is the way that we all learn. I was making two different points.

One is that there are certain types of posts that do not call for disagreement- the author has asked people to discuss a certain topic. For instance, let's say an author writes a thread, saying that he is going to Paris, and would like to learn about exhibits in the Louvre.

Some member jumps into the thread, argues that the Louvre is not what it is cracked up to be, and he would do better going to staying in New York, and going to the Metropolitan Museum, because it is much better.

The member may have a valid argument, but is this what the thread was supposed to accomplish? If the thread were about the comparisons of the exhibits in the two museums, THEN the arguing member would then certainly have the right to state his case.

My second point had nothing to do with the members themselves, but how they characterize certain (outside of A2K) people in threads. What I was attempting to point out was simply another way of looking at "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Let us say that member "A" dislikes a certain public figure. "B" likes that figure. "A" is attempting to convince "B", through examples, that the public figure is a blackguard and a knave. If "A" keeps referring to the figure as a sh!thead, he will have lost his audience from the getgo, as "B" will react to "A"s words, and will spring to the figures defense.

The people that know me know that I am not adverse to a good, heated argument. That is one way to check out one's own premises, and add to one's storehouse of knowledge.

I think that Letty has gotten my meaning.

Quote:
Remember all, a soft answer turneth away wrath.

One can certainly have a spirited discussion, without compromising his civility.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
ok - I'm scared, real sacred..... - I understand Phoenix Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:56 pm
"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
the motive for catching flies eludes me however, you can catch far more flies with a dead squirrel than with honey.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:57 pm
Quote:
ok - I'm scared, real sacred..... - I understand Phoenix

Husker- What's THAT supposed to mean? Confused
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
If you're an entomologist you might have a motive.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
I was going to say "grasshopper" like in KungFu before your post Acqui ! LOL
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:11 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Craven- Nope. I think that you didn't "get" my drift at all.

From what you say that sounds very possible. This is one more way discussions can veer. More on this later.

Quote:
One is that there are certain types of posts that do not call for disagreement- the author has asked people to discuss a certain topic. For instance, let's say an author writes a thread, saying that he is going to Paris, and would like to learn about exhibits in the Louvre.

Some member jumps into the thread, argues that the Louvre is not what it is cracked up to be, and he would do better going to staying in New York, and going to the Metropolitan Museum, because it is much better.

The member may have a valid argument, but is this what the thread was supposed to accomplish? If the thread were about the comparisons of the exhibits in the two museums, THEN the arguing member would then certainly have the right to state his case.

I hear ya. Heck when I want a nice serious discussion on how wimmin are evil there's usually a lot of frivolity and offtopic ranting about how mins are evil.

I don't think I have had any threads go both the way I expect and wanted though.

Thing is, you referenced politics and religion, which are far less prone to obvious non-debate threads.

You also did it right after a significant amount of complaints about atheists and agnostics using the religion forum at all. Several members have posted publically and/or complained to moderators about atheist using the religion forum altogether. Their reasoning is that it should be a place for Christian vews with atheists restricted from participation.

These persons also tend to take any disagreement with their religion as an attack. Many of the "he's attacking me for my beliefs" complaints were about people who simply held those beliefs in low esteem, without ever attacking the poster.

So I guess, like Sozobe, it depends on the examples. Your above example about the Louvre is a bit different from say this one:

Person A says all heathens are sinners and will burn in hell.

Person B expresses strident disagreement with this opinion.

Person A says that the opinion is right, after all their God says so and adds that homosexuals and women who bare their midrifts are also going to hell.

Person B expresses the opinion that the God carries no weight and again voices strident disagreement with the expressed opinions.

Person A decides the lack of veneration for their god is disrepectful and that this lack of respect for their god is an "attack" on them for their beliefs.

Now in this example, the poster may well have wanted an easy discussion devoid of disagreement about how heathens, homosexuals and women in skimpy outfits are going to burn in hell.

This member might find it perfectly reasonable to state what are to others very controversial and even offensive statements and expect no disagreement.

They might just want to "share" an opinion without "having their beliefs attacked".

And that's a very different scenario. In that case the member's thesis is a gauntlet for others and any disagreement they meet with might simply be called an "attack" on their "beliefs".

And in this case I think the desire for a discussion devoid of dissent is futile.

If a KKK member decided to start a "civil" discussion on how blacks should be slaves I bet this will be met with disagreement. And if the poster thinks that the disagreement is an inappropriate "attack on their beliefs" I think it is a horse of a different color.

So yeah, I agree with your example of the Louvre. But what kind of discussion on religion are you referencing? Can you give an example?

I ask because I frequently see people naively wanting "just to discuss" something provocative (e.g. that Bush is a great man, that republicans are evil, that atheists will burn in hell...) and regardless of civility their take dissent as "an attack on them for their beliefs".

I think that in the topics you mentioned there is a greater likelihood of an individual wishing for inordinate agreement with what is a hot button topic that they are dogmatic about.

I've seen a few light-hearted religious threads and they are usually never turned into debate at all.

The threads about Christian music for e.g. Lots of atheists and agnostics were also simply discussing what gospel music they like.

But when it comes to a "just a discussion" about how anyone who believes in evolution is "blind" and will never allow themselves to see the light it's different.

So without examples it's hard to agree, especially given the multitude of recent demands to bar atheists and agnostics from the religious forum altogether. I don't think I've ever seen a religious discussion like the Louvre example you gave. Can you point me to some?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:07 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2199

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19047

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18487

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13460

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17337

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17290

Didn't go through all the threads, or all the responses, but these are the kinds of threads of which I am speaking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:18 pm
Phoenix, like Craven, I was alerted by your mention of religious threads, and his postings in response o yours encapsulated my thoughts, so I didn't bother echoing them.
I am now reading through the threads you have cited.

I am three quarters of the way through "Which of the following Religious Books do you read the most?" and I am unable to see what you are worrying about so far. Sure - there are a couple of posts saying this or that book is drivel - but the Biblio showed excellent management skills, did not get his knickers in a knot, and the thread is a fascinating discussion of matters religious.

Ah - I finished it - it did get a bit nasty - but that seemed to me to be from one or two of the religious folk claiming to be the sole holders of the truth.

I read on...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:21 pm
Hmmm - read " Why Do Atheists and Agnostics Frequent This Forum???"

Still can't see a problem - it got a bit silly - but threads do - anyone could return it to sense.

Can you explain your concerns about these threads, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
I said right from the beginning that this is a thread with specific people in mind.

Phoenix, not a single one of those examples is in any way similar to your Louvre scenario in any way shape or form.

Well Phoenix, I really hope that when people start threads disparaging the way you interact that you take it as well.

I am very tempted to start one about self-righteous people who attack others in very unsubtle threads that purport to be general examples.

I'm out of here.
0 Replies