Discussion or Debate? How to Tell the Difference

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:06 am
I have been noticing something recently. In certain threads, mainly in the religious and political categories, people apparently are having difficulty in discerning whether the thread is asking for a discussion or a debate.
What I am seeing, are people who are asking for thoughts, opinions and insights, and instead receiving adversarial confrontations.

Personally, I think that the confrontational tactic is counterproductive. IMO, I am here to learn, and to broaden my areas of knowledge, in a collegial atmosphere. It really ticks me off when an opinion is offered, only to be responded to by an attack, which in some cases is a hairsbreath away from being an ad hominem.

I am also disturbed by what I am seeing, especially on the Religion and Spirituality threads. We have a number of members, who apparently are highly religious, and want to discuss their religion. As a non-believer, I respectfully stay out of those threads. They are not asking to debate the tenets of their religion. They simply want to discuss their faith with like minded individuals. I become very angry when a member breaks into a thread, and aggressively challenges the member's beliefs.

I think that there IS a place for debate on A2K, and for challenging the values, ideas and insights of other people. I think that we are all intelligent enough to discern, by the nature of the thread, whether it is a debate or a discussion that is being solicited. I also think that ideas can be dissected, without dissecting a member.

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,374 • Replies: 85
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:12 am
Discussion, debate.... diatribe. Dissention, disagreement, dueling...

Democracy? Doubtful.

Dozens desiring dialog dictatorship.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:13 am
Well, what are the big differences between 'debate' and discussion?
(Ehem, I looked that up :wink: )
(The German term 'debate' usually refers to parlaments, but nomal people debate in discussions.)

Nevertheless, better debates and/or discussions than dialogues!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Nevertheless, better debates and/or discussions than dialogues!

Better dialogues than serial monologs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:34 am
Phoenix, I think personal attacks on any thread are worthless, but I agree that when a member interrupts a discussion/debate with fists flying, then nothing is accomplished, and I simply don't understand why some people here do it.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:36 am
Letty wrote:
... I simply don't understand why some people here do it.

Happens in the real world, too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:40 am
Don't I know that, Seal. I tried to discuss a subject of interest to me, with one of my friends. Her response was "NO"! I just sat there in stunned amazement.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:42 am
SealPoet- Sadly, true. The difference is that we are a relatively small group, as compared with the rest of the immediate world. Do you think that it is unreasonable to expect that we hold ourselves to a higher standard of civility than the world at large?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
Responses to attacks are not necessary. If some people are discussing the merits of let's say the use of Wheatables as communion wafers (just happen to have a box right here) and someone else breaks in with an attack on the idea, (the very idea!!) of communion, the orginal group need not respond. Just let the post sit there, frying in it's own juice.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:57 am
That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard, Joe! Why don't you keep your ideas to yourself? What the hell are you doing here anyway -- trying to stir up trouble? And that avatar of yours. I bet you think it's pretty cool, don't you? I hate that shirt! And what's with the glasses? And another thing, I didn't particularly like the way you compared Wheatables to communion wafers!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:59 am
Gus- After my coronation, I am going to appoint you my personal court jester! Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:11 am
I have my shoes with the bells on the toes ready to go.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:16 am
Mr. Ratzenhofer

I and my mother are deeply offended by your insipid remarks. If you had one ounce of intelligence that would be about ten times what you presently possess. And for you to denigrate the shirt that I am wearing in my avatar after my mother handsewed every stitch to make it so look good that people point at me on the street, well, I didn't think anyone could sink to such depths and I have no other choice but to call you a name.

p**** **** ** A ****** !!

sincerely,

Mr. Joseph P. Nation

BTW the P stands for Phoenix. I thought you'd all like to know.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
Mr. Nation:

I am appalled that you chose to co opt my name for your own nefarious purposes. Please expect to hear from my attorney!

Most graciously yours,

Phoenix (the original)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:25 am
But but but but (blubber) that means we have something in common, unlike that creepo Gus who's just funny and wears what appears to be a rolled-up placemat on his head. And

what was the subject of this again??
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:26 am
Joe- Damned if I can remember!!! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:29 am
I remember! I remember! <waving hand around>

The thing is, there are things that some people hold as axiomatic that are deeply offensive or even just puzzling to others. It is understood that we are posting on a message board rather than sending private emails because we are soliciting input. "This is what I think; what do you think?" is implicit in every posting.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:38 am
Quote:
The thing is, there are things that some people hold as axiomatic that are deeply offensive or even just puzzling to others

That IS the gist of what is happening. It seems to me that a lot more will be accomplished if people dealt with the issues only, and refrained from ad hominems. I am talking about discussing individuals not on A2K (like politicians). I think that it is much stronger to cite facts, and opinions, rather than to bandy about nasty appellations for people that are not liked.

IMO, when people hear a person, or an idea that they respect or value being dissed, they become defensive to the name calling, and will close their minds to the argument.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:44 am
Maybe. I will go with Joe's wheatable analogy, though. If I disagree with the whole idea of communion, I will not consider that disagreement to be a useful contribution to the discussion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:55 am
I would just like to add that while it is nice to have an opinion on something, you do not need to post your opinion in every single thread. Pick and choose what you feel are good threads in which you can add to the existing discussion. Popping your head in and saying "I don't care about so and so..." does not add to an existing discussion.
0 Replies