Cigarettes Better Than Sex
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:05 pm
Quinn, why you say that??? Shame on you:)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:05 pm
wooooooowwwww, goign to read the text.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
oh, sex is less addicting than sex - a little different, no?

How about you Cass? Which would you find easier? Giving up sex or smokes for a month?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:10 pm
Shocked

umm..Im not European so, my vote doesnt count

right?

Can I have another option please? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:34 pm
I would like to know the ages and sex of those surveyed -- it makes a big difference, I think.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:37 pm
thats true bandylu, also would like lots of other useful information on background etc...single vs married, etc
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:45 pm
Also matters how good one's partner is.

My daughter is getting a minor in statistics on her way to her doctorate in cognitive psychology and she assures me that absolutely anything can be 'proven' depending on how one plays with one's statistics.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:14 pm
Years ago, as an undergrad psych major, I took a stat course. One book that was required reading was a book called "How to Lie with Statistics"!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:18 pm
None of this is a surprise to me, but this kind of overview re statistics and headlines should always be out there for the newly tuned.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:23 pm
Darn tootin' about things being "proven" by stats. Same with "studies" -- who paid for the study? How big of a sample was it? Etc. I just got an email from my MIL about how important it is to drink water -- that's nice, but it was a mind-boggling hodgepodge of unsubstantiated "statistics" and "studies" like

Quote:
By drinking a mere 5 glasses of water a day, you decrease the risk of breast cancer by 79% and you are 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. (WOW!)

and

Quote:
Lack of water is the NUMBER ONE trigger of daytime fatigue! (now you know how to get up and get going again!)

There was just a thread about that, and I was tempted to send one link that littlek found about how much water there is in food, for example, but didn't want to be obnoxious and the general premise is fine. I mean, drinking water is good. But the first one -- what on earth is that supposed to mean? Decrease by 79% from what? No glasses of water per day? 4.75 glasses of water per day? Subsisting on burnt toast? And the second one -- what kind of lame-ass study is that? How about the number one cause of daytime fatigue being... LACK OF SLEEP?

This stuff bothers me more than it should...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:03 pm
Giving up sex was way easier than giving up smoking for me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 02:08 am
Sex, you mean, just because I count one, two, three, four, five, seven, eight ... and smoke, that is worth such a statistic? Embarrassed :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:13 am
I think a great deal has to do with the comfort and or enjoyment..or both even you have with your partner, if you have one. If you dont have one, well then, its easy to give up something you dont partake in, isnt it.
yep..the statistics I always question, but thats just me...or at least I thought it was, glad to have company Smile
I always end up with many many more questions but, I enjoy seeing the information anyway.
walter.... Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:26 am
A partner for sex is definitely an incentive to enjoy sex over cigarettes.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:39 am
One thing for sure, when you have neither, a pack of cigarettes is easier to find than a sex partner.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:43 am
The catch is the journalistic headline.
It all ends up in saying that nicotine is damn addictive.

Another good journalistic headline said that English males prefer football and beer to sex.
It was a poll made during the World Cup. "What things you enjoy the most?"
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:47 am
fbaezer..thats funny...what a poll..my guess is that the guys ranked what they liked to do, and the statistics forgot to add that they'd like that all at once, no telling anyway but..darn curious those stats. Oh yeah..and when did they take that poll anyway...in the middle of the game?
silly I tell ya.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 11:45 am
There have been similar surveys before. It seems people will give up almost anything before they give up cigarettes. : (
0 Replies