Critical

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
(1)Does "huge critical" mean " being widely and highly appreciated" in the context below? I suspect that it is a noun, meaning "a favorable appreciation".

Context:

Peter Jackson then "discovered" the classically handsome Bloom for the highly anticipated, $270 million, three-film screen adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings in 1999. The Fellowship of the Rig was released in December2001, and was instantly a huge critical and box office success around the world., going on to become one of the highest grossing films of all time.

(2) Is the "spotting" a noun?

Context:

Beyond "Sex and the City's" cultural and fashion trend spotting, its character-driven plots have always returned to the show's thematic baseline: the power of friendship. After portraying the love and loyalty among four pals for six seasons, the series' close has fans feeling separation anxiety. That includes participants in the Cable Television Forum, who have been fretfully watching the final episodes and hoping that this season's emotional storylines (Will Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie move to Paris? Will Kim Cattrall's Samantha survive breast cancer?) resolve in a satisfying manner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 618 • Replies: 6
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:22 pm
I got this:

Our research with thousands of couples from countries across the globe reveals that there are two groups of critical success factors in a relationship.

So critical is an adjective, meaning "Inclined to judge severely and find fault", and "was a critical success" means "got a success in severe judge".

Am I on the right track?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:58 am
(1) Does "the reverse thrust spin jets" means "jets powered by reverse thrust spin"?

A: A frantic behind-the-scenes drama is unfolding around Sen. John Kerry and his quest to lockup the Democratic nomination for president, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal...
B: Ooooooh....let's see how the reverse thrust spin jets will react to this.

(2) Kerry is scheduled to appear on IMUS IN THE MORNING on Friday. Later he is scheduled to join General Wesley Clark, who, in an off-the-record conversation with a dozen reporters earlier this week, plainly stated: "Kerry will implode over an intern issue."

What does " IMUS IN THE MORNING" mean?

IMU, Hawaiian?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:45 am
" huge critical and box office success"

It sort of means what you said.

A huge critical success, means that lots of the world's film critics liked it.

A huge box office success means that lots of ordinary people liked it, and they bought tickets to see it.

Often films appeal either to the critics, and the more educated or discerning (or snobbish, lol!) filmgoer OR to large numbers of ordinary filmgoers - this film pleased both.

Critical here is used in the sense of:

4. of or pertaining to critics or criticism: critical essays.

With probably a little of:

3. involving skillful judgment as to truth, merit, etc.; judicial: a critical analysis.

"two critical success factors" Critical here means:

7. of decisive importance with respect to the outcome; crucial: a critical moment.

I think it is an adjective! I would say I am sure it was, except I have forgotten all my formal grammar, and I am scared someone who has retained theirs will come along and say I am wrong!

I assume IMUS in the morning refers to a television or radio program.

Your capitalization has left me uncertain as to whether, in the morning, he will appear on IMUS - or whether in the morning he will appear on a show called IMUS In The Morning!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:50 am
Aaaaaah! Imus In The Morning

http://www.cbsradio.com/talk_imus.htm

http://talkshows.about.com/cs/donimus/
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:57 am
Thanks dlowan.

Now, time to catch that jet.Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:40 pm
...spotting is not a noun. It refers to spotting, or seeing, a trend... So, besides seeing and incorporating the latest trends, "sex and the city" also is based on the friendship among the main characters.

Did you figure out that "Imus" is a person, that is, Don Imus, who hosts a morning radio show?
0 Replies