John Kerry and the intern

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:48 pm
Just checked Drudge again, much more equivocal. And listing a bunch of local stations that reported on it -- based on the Drudge rumor. Circular, at best.

I wish I'd cut and pasted what it said yesterday, because what I seem to remember was an implication that the affair was recent and ongoing -- I guess the picture of him kissing some woman on the head that seemed to be of current/ recent vintage. Now they're saying "Spring of 2001." OK.

Anyway, I started out skeptical and am getting more skeptical as this "develops."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:51 pm
Just a question, but would you be equally skeptical if it were Cheney or Rumsfield?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:53 pm
Of course.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:55 pm
Put it this way -- if Cheney or Rumsfeld were running for office, and were gaining significant momentum, I would be especially skeptical of rumors in Drudge and the Enquirer.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:10 pm
I still don't know why I should care what Kerry or Rumsfeld or Cheney do in their private lives.

But, look at the bright side. People once accused Kerry of being boring (I think "wooden" was the term used). These rumors will make him even more interesting.

These rumors didn't hurt Clinton, Kennedy or LBJ, as long as Kerry doesn't pull a "Gary Hart" I don't think it matters.

But can *anybody* tell me why I should care?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:11 pm
It's a stretch but: Because others might, and this is a Democracy.

I could care less personally but I am watching the story closely because of all the people who do care.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:19 pm
It may also motivate more people from the religious right to go and vote for Bush who may not have been motivated to vote without such a story.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 04:10 pm
All three of them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 04:46 pm
(I like your quote, McGentrix. Almost bought a t-shirt with that one.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just a question, but would you be equally skeptical if it were Cheney or Rumsfield?

Not I! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
e_Brown:
Quote:
"Sure. I am willing to see my taxes increase".

Are you saying that you 're willing to pay 45% tax on dividends? If so, what will your takehome pay be like? Question
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:12 pm
Actually I couldn't imagine for the life of me Rumsfield and Cheney with anyone female or male.

The fact that it is implied that it is recent and ongoing tells me that it is not true. I mean the man is running for office against this bunch, he would have to be a sexual addict to do something so politically stupid.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:18 pm
Hey, Miller, are you living off your dividend income? Then maybe you should look into divesting some of that.

There are plenty of tax shelters that aren't taxed at 45%, if your broker can't find one, get a new broker.

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
The matter to be wary about is denial of something - if Kerry or whoever is the point person of the moment gives a rather instinctive denial about some past relationship and the denial turns out to be not true, then the political otherside will be aghast. Politicians need to learn to say "none of your business", or better, why are you interested, have you never had relationships with humans? Ah, but it is probably hard to come up with just the right dismissive words. Maybe just a frown...

Our press did, I gather, not pay attention to the fondness or follies of people in power, not all so long ago. When did all this start? Wilbur Mills? Gary Hart?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:41 pm
Excellent advice, Joe.

Miller's stocks and mutual funds (as well as --I'm presuming -- CDs and bonds) are generating 1099s every year, and there are numerous options that enable the investor to capture tax-deferred savings and market-like returns, which would actually increase one's spendable income.

(FWIW, I am also willing to pay more in taxes than I am currently in order to support the social infrastructure we have had in the past.)
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:19 pm
Miller wrote:

If Kerry wins, are you willing to see your taxes increase?
How do you feel about paying 45% tax on your dividends?

Well at least the average American would have the money to be taxed. With Bush nobody has money and their taxing us anyway.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:57 pm
Miller wrote:
e_Brown:
Quote:
"Sure. I am willing to see my taxes increase".

Are you saying that you 're willing to pay 45% tax on dividends? If so, what will your takehome pay be like? Question

I don't know where you got your 45% number. I assume you have no way to know my financial situaion. Are you just making this up?

I would be willing to pay 45% tax on dividends (I assume this is the top level of a graduated scale) if I was grossing $750,000 a year income - had a huge stake in oil companies and millions in the bank. In this case I would figure that my country had treated me pretty well. I care about my country and I would be happy to give back. In this case I would not worry about my take home pay (which even with 45% flat taxes would still be about $400,000 a year).

Let say for the sake of argument that my income is closer to $65,000 a year for a family of four. Let's also say that I have an untaxed 401K plan and a few extra stocks that will not be taxed at the 45% rate. I am not worried about Kerry's tax plan, even if it does go up. His plan is reasonable and I willing to do my part.

The deficit this country is incurring is much more dangerous than the taxes. Someone is going to pay for the taxes that you don't want to pay. I am afraid that it will be our children.

There are many reasons that you should be a lot more afraid of Bush than of Kerry. Fiscal responsibility is one reason (military adventurism is another).

The sex life of either man is not very important in the scheme of things.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:54 pm
Osso's right. It's not the relationship, it's the denial. We don't like liars and we don't like hypocrites.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:46 am
I am more complex. I don't like liars, I don't like hypocrites............ and I don't like lying hypocritical questioners about what is none of their business in order to sell papers (etc.) Ok, maybe some of the questioners are pure-ish.

None of these emotions are new. But really, I don't care about Republican or Democrat or Libertarian or Greens' love lives, should they ever come to the fore. Well, play it as it lays, Didion would say.

But don't tell me about it. I don't care.

One of the reasons I don't care is I must be one of six or eight people left who think it is possible to go into politics with the idea of doing good and maintaining that for years at a time.

How on earth can you get real people to engage in politics, which isn't really total slime by definition, but the life blood of arriving at positions where you can potentially make changes.

Why don't we make this something good to do? The best and the brightest, so called, are not apt to be attracted if they have to watch what happened when, blah, blah.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:29 am
Frankly, Kerry bored me to death until I heard about this. Maybe he's more interesting than I've given him credit for.
0 Replies