John Kerry and the intern

hanten

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:38 pm
As you probably have heard or soon will, the John Kerry is under fire for alleged infidelity.

What is the best strategy for Democrats at this point? Let him fight the accusations all the way to November, or do we begin looking for the replacement candidate (Dean or Edwards)?

For my money, we pick a replacement. Kerry's support is based only on electability; when he loses that facade, who are his supporters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,959 • Replies: 39
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:57 pm
Welcome to A2K, hanten.

This is another non-starter for the Repukes.

6 or 7 years ago Republicans were adamant in insisting that the prosecution of Bill Clinton WASN'T about illicit sex or marital affairs; that it was about lying under oath.

Did I miss something? Did somebody lie under oath?

(edited to correct a rather glaring spelling error)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:59 pm
Sounds like infighting amongst the Dem's considering Clark's statement to 12 reporters the other day about it.

Now Clark is endorsing Kerry, it's creepy.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
PDiddie wrote:

6 or 7 years ago Republicans were adamant in insisting that the prosecution of Bill Clinton WASN'T about illicet sex or marital affairs; that it was about lying under oath.

I also remember those same Demoncrats shouting at the top of their lungs that the election of '92 was NOT about what some people did or didn't do during the Vietnam War.

I guess that kind of thing only applies when it has to do with one of THEIR people. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:17 pm
Kerry is the man. Bush is vulnerable and if there is any decency in this world, will be living a harmless private life next year.

Now, tell me why I should care about this?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:24 pm
Geez. Pure smear. Of course I hope it's not true, and will be pissed if it is. (No stupider mistake for a prospective candidate in today's climate.) But the Drudge report is hardly conclusive, and items like,

Quote:
The Kerry commotion is why Howard Dean has turned increasingly aggressive against Kerry in recent days, and is the key reason why Dean reversed his decision to drop out of the race after Wisconsin, top campaign sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

strike me as being a stretch, to say the least. I cited earlier a NYT article from the day after Dean's infamous email saying he'd be out of the race if he didn't win WI which indicated that it was doublespeak from the start, in his own words, "a ploy." He just wants to win Wisconsin, figured that was a way.

Also, if Clark is the one who knew ("career will implode over an intern"), then it would make much more sense that HE would be the one who would come close to quitting and then change his mind. Part of what makes Kerry so electable is his military record and background -- if Kerry was out, that would help Clark immensely.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
When it comes to that kind of stuff, I don't care in the slightest.
Personal sexual issues don't mean a thing to me. He could be getting a BJ from every female and male he's around. Don't make a difference in my book. He's not running for pope.

If its false, I'm going to vote for him should he win the nomination.
If its true, I'm still going to vote for him should he win the nomination.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
Infidelity, if it is indeed true, is one of the least concerns that I have about Kerry.

What I do think, is that Bush is seeing an erosion in his position, and his people are attempting to dig up any kind of dirt that they can find. I fully expect that this election year would do Jerry Springer proud! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:40 pm
I agree, Phoenix.

If it's on Drudge, it's gonna fly around and there will be people who believe it with no evidence. Sigh.

(By the way, why is it that 99% of the time when my post is sitting there for a long time, last one, I think of something I want to add, I decide to edit rather than make a new post, then right that minute one or two more people post? Uncanny, I tell ya.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:43 pm
Soz- I think that it is similar to the phenomenon that if you are parked in an empty section of a parking lot, another car will immediately park right beside you! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
Hee hee!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:57 pm
Kerry made Enquirer cover.
Link
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:21 pm
Omigod! So it's true! It's in the Enquirer!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:23 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:24 am
Forgive me - this would actually be a candidacy make/break issue?

Feeehhhhhh!!!!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:55 am
Even if he did it, I don't care. In fact I'm tired of Republicans hitting below the belt. infidelity does not affect your ability to be a good leader.

The only reason infidelity affects a presidents ability to lead is because the Republicans can never let it go. They are obsessed with the issue. I say impeach all of the Republicans and let us get on with governing our country without frivolous distractions.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:03 am
Kerry was on Imus this morning, Imus said something about it and said something like, "is this going to be something that is going to make me jump off the kerry bandwagon" Kerry said that he is prepared for the 30 million (may have the amount wrong) dollar campaign of the republicans are launching and that there is nothing to it. Imus said that Kerry is not stupid, he knows that the republicans will dig and dig and if there is anything there they will find it.

What I find most interesting is that it is said, though Clark denies it, that Clark started this whole thing and now he is endorsing Kerry. So, I am wondering, I wonder if the democrat are laying a trap for the republicans knowing how they are about sexual scandals?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:10 am
Who knows, but something isn't right for sure.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:27 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Kerry is the man. Bush is vulnerable and if there is any decency in this world, will be living a harmless private life next year.

If Kerry wins, are you willing to see your taxes increase?

How do you feel about paying 45% tax on your dividends?

I for one, am not a fan of John Kerry. Needless to say, his current wife is also not in my fanbook! Drunk
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:49 am
Miller wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

If Kerry wins, are you willing to see your taxes increase?

How do you feel about paying 45% tax on your dividends?

I for one, am not a fan of John Kerry. Needless to say, his current wife is also not in my fanbook! Drunk

Sure. I am willing to see my taxes increase.

In my family we balance the budget. Everyone in my family understands that we can not spend more than we make. Until recently my wife and I were both self-employed. My wife and I worked very hard to bring in extra income, and we all cut back on what we bought.

I expect the same type of thinking from my government.

We need to decide as a society what is important. Then we need to pay for it. The way the government gets its money is taxes.

To me (and I believe to most Americans) things like education, and health care and reasearch and "homeland defense" are all important, and they all cost money. If we are going to have these things, we need to pay for them.

Bush's habit of cutting taxes and raising expenses at the same time is ridiculous. When I was having trouble finding consistent work, I knew that it was not time to go buy a new car. I understand this, why can the administration.

Taxes are necessary. The question is what is fair. I just got a great new full-time job, and I am thankfully in a higher tax bracket. This seems fair. My profession job depends on the stability that this country's system and laws provide. I am benefitting more from it financially and I do not at all mind paying more.

What is completely unacceptable is the record deficits that the current administration is racking up. A family who is going through a difficult time should not rack up credit card debt. In the end it costs too much. Likewise the current irresponsibility of the administration will come back to hurt us.

What also irks me is the fact that the Bush tax cuts favor the wealthy so much. Working people don't worry very much about paying a 45% divident tax. When I get there, I hope that I will be grateful enough to what my country has given me to be willing to give back.

But record deficits are not acceptable, especially when the most important things -- like education -- are still grossly underfunded.

I am willing to more taxes because I love my country. I want the US to invest in its future and to avoid a staggering debt that my children will be burdened with.
0 Replies