PMS

Heeven

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:32 pm
I usually don't post questions - I like to answer Q's and join other peoples threads with my opinions etc., but I generally don't start a thread myself.

However, I have a problem and it's not something I have had much experience with before so I don't know how to go about remedying it.

I am busting out crying at the slightest thing in the past few days. Yes I am a woman and yes I can cry at the drop of a hat, but this is different. I am feeling so hopeless that is it shocking the bejaysus out of me. This is SO unlike me! Now I have had PMS before but usually I get snotty or cranky - this is so different and something I am not able to handle well. I am in work right now and although the stress-level here is already very high (to say I am overworked is a joke) I am ready to walk into my boss and quit. I am even thinking about chucking everything - my life I have built here in America, but all this with no plan or idea of what I am going to do.

What the hell is wrong with me? I have always been so stable, so level-headed and could always laugh in the face of disaster. My life is by no means bad right now, in fact I have a lot of things going for me. A week ago I would have laughed in your face if you told me I'd be feeling this way but now ....

I am not interested in talking to a shrink or counsellor or even a medical doctor. I just wondered if other women have felt this way as part of PMS? That could be one option since it's around that time. I have just never experienced these types of feelings before. I'm looking for some feedback from the ladies out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:42 pm
I felt that way when I must have been starting menopause..

I also got angry in a flash (hah! - but this was before hot flashes, if I remember right) and would have to go to the restroom down the hall and stare in the mirror and calm down, exploding in anger not being a good thing to do back then at my work.

It all felt not-me... I thought even then that it was hormonal.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:45 pm
Great! I'm starting menopause?

Although I will say this Osso, you made me laugh out loud today and I need that! Laughing

I going to the bathroom mirror to stare myself down!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
Yep, what Osso said. It's called peri-menopause and can start as soon as 10 years before you actually hit menopause.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:04 pm
Heeven--

Facile tears and abject misery are part of the Curse of Eve. While menopause is a consumation devoutly to be wished, you do have to survive rocketing hormones.

TM helps. Also try hissing under your breath, "This too will pass." Stress the "ess's". Emulate the cobra.

Tears make you feel like a fool. Venom makes you feel like a bitch. Aren't you fortunate to be blessed with versatility?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
Well at least that's a relief in that I haven't lost my cookies. I quite frightened the shite out of myself yesterday with the boo-hoo'ing. I can't be looking like a friggin' wuss at work!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
Heeven, it is never a bad thing to talk to a professional. That is what they are there for. If this continues I hope you will seek help, we all need it once in awhile. It's not weakness just the human condition.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:54 pm
Heeven- Naw, you are not losing it. As I grew older, my PMS worsened, month by month. On more than one occasion I felt suicidal. It was only when I remembered that my menstrual period was imminent, that I was able to calm down.

Why not speak to a gynecologist? You have nothing to lose!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:23 pm
I have had a few long term crying jags in my life and they were appropriate to the situation - I mean weeks of sobs-just-under-my-skin, but appropriate. Those I dealt with by long long walks. Divorce for example, walk, walk, walk, sob by self at beach, walk more.

But the stuff that happened at work in my forties was from outer space, extra sensitivity seemingly from the moon, sort of in waves. Absolutely hormonal fluctuations... and in my case it turned out to be true, I was given a hormone regimen (not a matter due as much consideration then as now) and blip, I steadied out, maintained mah usual savoir faire, such as it was.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:53 am
Heeven
You're not losing it and you are surely not alone. I have been going what you go through every month for several years. Like Phoenix, it tends to get worse every month and I do believe I am pre-menopause as well. I will be talking to my doctor about it on our next visit and I'll let you know what he says. I really miss having a female doctor for things like this though. The way I get through it is knowing that it will pass and also posting on the PMS thread I started here a few months ago.

It really sucks and I feel your pain!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:16 am
Okay well I took off early yesterday and I went to see my (female) doctor. She's my GP as well as my OBGYN. Although she was pretty busy and rushed through the exam, she didn't seem to find anything wrong with me she did say she thought it was work-related rather than anything to do with menopause. She took a blood-test anyway to see if anything shows up. I also called my family last night and talked and talked for hours (nice phone bill!) and I'm feeling somewhat better. I'm still weepy but realizing that whatever this is, I'll get through it and be fine. Maybe all I needed was to let loose some pent up emotions and know that someone was hearing me.
0 Replies