Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz- A fool.

pistoff

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 04:21 pm
Quote:
A year ago, testifying before Congress, Wolfowitz predicted that securing postwar Iraq would be an easier job than the United States and its allies faced in Bosnia or Afghanistan. After all, the deputy secretary said, there's no ethnic tension in Iraq. The immediate reaction of virtually everyone who knew even a little bit about Iraq and its long-simmering tensions, repression, bloodshed and just plain bad blood among Kurds and Turkomen in the north, Sunni Arabs in the middle and Shiite Muslims in the south, was: Say what?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0211-06.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 31
No top replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:40 pm
Is he a fool? I would say no more so than the president and the gnomes that surround him.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:43 pm
Fools rush in...
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:17 pm
Fools
Right, no more so than the rest of that Neo Fascist scum.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:22 pm
Well, if you recall the Russert interview, Bush said that the Iraqis did indeed welcome the US in with open arms, and that Iraq is now stable. I guess we are all wrong. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:34 am
100 Iraqis dead within the last two days.
The civil war has begun.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:06 am
Just like America, a loud minority of Iraqi's are making life hell for the majority who just want to get on with their lives. Because they are so loud, they draw attention away from the majority who do welcome Americans, who do want a stable country, who do want democracy.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
Just like America, a loud minority of Iraqi's are making life hell for the majority who just want to get on with their lives. Because they are so loud, they draw attention away from the majority who do welcome Americans, who do want a stable country, who do want democracy.

You evidently miss the point. It don't matter if it is only a minority of people, the point is that Wolfowitz was wrong in that it was going to be easy because there was no ethnic groups against each other. It wasn't easy, so he was wrong and the people who disagreed with him and others were right. Every single day more coalition forces die, countless are wounded and the Iraqi civilians and various Iraqi people in government positions so to speak are killed or wounded every day. So yes, they are free of Saddam Hussien, free to walk down the street and get blown up.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:25 pm
Neo Fascist Scum
"Just like America, a loud minority of Iraqi's are making life hell for the majority who just want to get on with their lives."

Yeah, in America we have the Neo Fascist Scum who are ruining America. Indictments for War Crimes for BushCo are in order ASAP.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
revel wrote:
You evidently miss the point. It don't matter if it is only a minority of people, the point is that Wolfowitz was wrong in that it was going to be easy because there was no ethnic groups against each other. It wasn't easy, so he was wrong and the people who disagreed with him and others were right. Every single day more coalition forces die, countless are wounded and the Iraqi civilians and various Iraqi people in government positions so to speak are killed or wounded every day. So yes, they are free of Saddam Hussien, free to walk down the street and get blown up.

I am sick of reading this tripe. Who is that is killing our coalition forces and various Iraqi people? THEY are the ones we are there to stop. THEY are the ones that are perpetrating these crimes the left so abhor's.

Would you have the US leave Iraq? Would you rather the Iraqi people continued to live under the torturous regime that Saddam led?

What exactly would your answer have been to the Iraqi situation? More failed inspections? Lift the sanctions and allow Saddam free reign again? I am sick to death of listening to the whining about the evil US and how oppressive our leaders are.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:26 am
The Terrorist were not there in significant way before the war and everything got all out of control. We created the situation, in fact when Bush was confronted about the terrorist coming from the borders of Iran and other places like that, he said, "bring them on" "better there than in our own country." So, no we have to stay there and fix it.

Kay said that the inspections and sanctions were working, it kept the WMD from being developed. So I don't see why we couldn't have given the UN more time and come to a unified census on where to go next in the situation, since it was always a world threat rather than a direct threat to us, it required a world solution to the problem with the world helping in the aftermath.

I Know he also said that Iraq was more dangerous than we thought. But the reason he gave for that was less convincing than the clear evidence that is impossible to deny about the lack of WMD. He said something like Saddam Hussien was in a position to possibly build or sell WMD to rouge states or terrorist groups. In other words the same tired line that is used. Of course he was in position, once you have knowledge, you have it. The point was that in the twelve years he didn't start a new weapons program, so the efforts were working. I mean any country like that was in the same position as Iraq, North Korea being the most obvious one that comes to mind and yet they said, we are using diplomatic measures for North Korea. The North Koreans live in tortuous conditions, where is the outrage for that? I am not saying that we should have ignored the human suffering in Iraq, I am saying that there were other solutions if that was what took us to war. They had been suffering a long long time, time could have been taking so that a workable solution could have been put to the problem with all the world having a say so in it rather than just a bank for halliburton and a place to stage a fight between the US and Islamic extremist which is all that is happening now.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:33 am
That's great, but is it really possible that the world would have been able to keep the sanctions against Iraq until the Hussein regime ended? It seems that was the only alternative to the war.

Let's pretend for a moment that the inspections had worked. Let's pretend that Saddam cooperated with the UN and proved with a doubt that he had no WMD's. After the sanctions were lifted and Iraqi oil once again flooded the world markets and the UN was no longer eyeballing his country, do you honestly think Saddam would not have sought out the WMD's that he needed? Do you think that the centrifuges dug up and the plans found would not have been dusted off? Do you not think it would be possible for Iraq to gain the same level of WMD's it had in 1990 in months?

THAT's what this war was about. It's about stopping a threat. Containment was working, but for how long?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:05 pm
Quote:
THAT's what this war was about. It's about stopping a threat. Containment was working, but for how long?

How long will North Korea be contained? How long will Iran be contained? Are we going to go and fight and kill the world because of things they might do at any given point? According to Kay we can't rely on the intelligence so how will we even know what they might do? (though I don't believe in that policy to begin with)

I am something of a cspan junkie when my grandbaby lets me watch something besides barney and wiggles. I saw a hearing (admittedly only democrats because the republicans refused to hear it) today with some folks who worked at halliburtin over at Iraq. They were talking about the over charging done by the company and how they were told not to worry about the cost because everything was "cost plus" (whatever that means). They even over charged the tax payers on phones, charged for meals that they didn't deliver because of the danger in Iraq. (this guy was in Kawate) Most of the troops don't have the right kind of uniforms and vest that keep them safe. They charge well over 2.00 per gallon for gas and they charge something outrageous in renting SUV's and trucks and things. This outfit is nothing more than common thieves that are putting our men and women in danger and wasting and abusing tax payers money. Why aren't the republicans upset about this, I thought all they cared about was governmemt waste? Could it be that it is because Cheney is/was/who knows which involved?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:35 am
Yep. Cheney is behind the whole thing. He knows that 8 years will be the magic number and when those 8 years are up he will be rich beyond the dreams of avarice! He planned the whole thing! The war in Iraq is about nothing more than lining some pockets. Especially the pockets of Cheney. Hell, he even bribed the SC to get elected! Then, he planned the attack on WTC, paid off the Taliban to put up some token resistance and secretly created a world wide organization of Neo-facist-cons who could take everyones money! Then, he had Rumsfeld talk with Hussein and organize the whole charade of being "captured" as he will be pardoned at the end of the Bush regime and allowed to get his country back! All this so Haliburton can make a few gazillion dollars!!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:43 am
Quote:
Hell, he even bribed the SC to get elected! Then, he planned the attack on WTC, paid off the Taliban to put up some token resistance and secretly created a world wide organization of Neo-facist-cons who could take everyones money! Then, he had Rumsfeld talk with Hussein and organize the whole charade of being "captured" as he will be pardoned at the end of the Bush regime and allowed to get his country back! All this so Haliburton can make a few gazillion dollars
!!

You know that is a tactic that is succesfully being used to discredit legitimate charges. I don't think people are falling for it anymore.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 07:47 am
No, this is just how retarded I find many of the conspiracy theories that keep getting brought up over, and over, and over...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
McGentrix wrote:
No, this is just how retarded I find many of the conspiracy theories that keep getting brought up over, and over, and over...

You gotta fuutcha in playwriting, or a Republican administration in potentially 8 3/4 years, or retardation.

Not sure which. Not much difference, since I have considered it... :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:21 pm
McGentrix,

It was no conspiracy theory. I think the company just operated under normal corporate greed. Also, it wasn't something that just came out of the air. Even the Pentagon said that Halliburton overcharged for gas. Those guys were former employees, buyers I think they called themselves, of Halliburton over in Iraq so they had firsthand knowledge. They were not paid to come before the committee, they just chose to on their own. I guess some people still have a conscience.

It is not very nice to call things retarded, it is offensive to the mentally handicapped.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:02 pm
revel wrote:
McGentrix,

It was no conspiracy theory. I think the company just operated under normal corporate greed. Also, it wasn't something that just came out of the air. Even the Pentagon said that Halliburton overcharged for gas. Those guys were former employees, buyers I think they called themselves, of Halliburton over in Iraq so they had firsthand knowledge. They were not paid to come before the committee, they just chose to on their own. I guess some people still have a conscience.

Do you understand that it's Haliburton's own Internal Audits that are catching these problems? WHy would a company that has everything going for it try to screw up a multi-billion dollar contract overa few million here or there? Do you honestly think they are having board meetings in which they discuss how they can try to steal more money from the US taxpayers?

Quote:
It is not very nice to call things retarded, it is offensive to the mentally handicapped.

Had I said "Hey look at that retard in the wheelchair!" I could understand your taking offense, but the usage of "retarded" is not limited to the mentally handicapped. Please don't take offense at a word. Take offense at it's usage.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:00 pm
Quote:
Please don't take offense at a word. Take offense at it's usage.

There is an offensive expression in the area where I live, when people fix things they call it N****rigged. It is still offensive even though they are not calling a person the N word. Enough said though on my end, I just felt the need to point that out. We all have our pet peeves, certain usage of words are one of many of mine.

About Halliburton, those guys said that they were told to how to go about things. it was not an accident or just an oversite. If you don't believe what they had to say, then say so. It sounded believable to me.
0 Replies