Go Sheila!

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:00 pm
Auditor general gives details of 'scandalous' sponsorship program

Sheila Fraser, Canada's Auditor General, pulls no punches on her report of wasteful government expenditures. Last year we heard about Office of Privacy Commissioner George Radwanski's extravagant lifestyle at the taxpayer's expense, not to mention his questionable hiring practices.

Today Sheila Fraser released a report on her audits of government spending, particularly in advertising and sponsorship programs in Québec. Supposedly these expenditures were made in an attempt to raise the profile of the federal government in Québec after the 1995 sovereignty referendum in that province. (Why the federal government felt the need to do that is beyond me.) Today's report showed millions of tax dollars were squandered through paid commissions to various communications companies that did little more than pass on the cheque to organizations handling/performing sponsorhip programs.

And there are other wasteful expenditures as well. When I watched all of this today on television, it made my blood boil. I also watched part of Question Period at the House of Commons. I confess I have never watched as much of it as I have today, primarily because it's a huge snooze. But if what I saw today was typical, it makes me wonder if all that pontificating is indicative of where our tax dollars go to in Ottawa. Prime Minister Paul Martin's response to grilling over his role as finance minister at the time was an impressive Rolling Eyes "I didn't know". Gee, he didn't know? What the hell kind of excuse is that? Was he asleep????

And on tonight's news I hear he has fired Alfonso Gagliano. The guy was the public works minister at the time and responsible for some of the misspent money. If he's being held accountable, I want Paul Martin's head on a platter too. Although Alfonso Gagliano should be held responsible, I don't believe he should be made the scapegoat for this whole fiasco. I have no doubt there were many others involved. And what about the private sector? What about those businesses that profitted? Shouldn't they be dealt with? I hope they are. Paul Martin said in Question Period today that an investigation would be launched (great, more tax dollars tossed away) and money recovered. Money recovered? Give me a break. That ain't gonna happen!

If I had my way the whole government would be dissolved and started over from scratch. The more I hear about Ottawa, the more bloated it appears to be, gluttoning itself off the hard earned money of Canadian taxpayers.

I hope Canadians make their feelings known that the greed and outrageous spending by the federal government is unacceptable and vote out the liberals next election.

And as for Sheila Fraser, I hope she's the Auditor General for many years to come! Go Sheila!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
I've been listening to a fair bit of CBC coverage of this tonight, Caprice. As It Happens was great, I thought.

You're right, Sheila Fraser pulled no punches (or if she did, I can't imagine what's left over from her report).
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
Don't you feel helpless? Don't you feel duped? Don't you feel angry about money that is spent so frivolously and without thought to the taxpayer when there are overcrowded classrooms and health care is spiralling downards? Not to mention all the potholes in the road. Oh I know not all of this is under the federal government's domain, but the effect filters down, in my opinion.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that those in power and those who work with them (and therefore get a piece of the pie) are all self-serving greedy individuals without a conscience.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
I guess I'm a bit too old and jaded to get that riled up. I'm plenty peeved, but I've seen this, and similar stuff, at almost every level of government, over the past couple of decades. A lot of it disgusts me, but it doesn't surprise me anymore.

Which is bad in its own way.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
Yes! Because these people shouldn't be in government! Complacency sends the wrong message to those in power. I don't want to be complacent any longer myself!

The amount of squandered money is just not acceptable. The whole gun registry fiasco just made me sick.

Uh oh....I fear a rant coming on. I'd better stop now. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
Forget the rant. If you seriously don't want to be complacent - get out there and offer us something different!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:53 pm
Surely you aren't suggesting I go into politics! *L* I don't have what it takes. Or I would! Wink
0 Replies