Psychologists Now Know What Makes People Happy

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:55 am
Quote:
"The happiest people surround themselves with family and friends, don't care about keeping up with the Joneses next door, lose themselves in daily activities and, most important, forgive easily."

Psychologists have begun to study the factors that make people happy. Here is the link to an interesting article about this!

Link to Article About Happiness

What is YOUR opinion of these ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 11
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:14 am
Wow, what an impressing article!

Now I know why I'm a happy guy, always wondered why! It was a lot of truth in that article, especially the notes on ill people. Never mind how miserable my back is, I always say that it could be worse. When I look at my mom with her rheumatic arthritis, she's the one who keeping up the spirits in her department where she works, that makes me happy to see, too.

And remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
Hi,Phoenix. Once again, as far as psychologists are concerned, there is nothing new under the sun. I remember a similar study that was done (sorry I can't provide hard evidence) when I was in grad school. A team of investigators simply asked a question of a random sampling of people cross cultures in the U.S. The question: "Are you happy?". The results demonstrated that those who were indigent were very unhappy, but "happiness" did not increase porportionately to income. So, in a sense, this has been measured before.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:56 pm
Well according to this article I would or should be the most unhappy person in the world since I spend most of my time, well at least 99% of my time alone, not by choice it is just how things turned out for me. But alas I do experience happiness often. Perhaps it is because I am an only child.

For examply I had such a great time at the Cyber Art discussion last night and then after words some pms with a member of A2k filled my with joy. I will cherish those happy feelings for several days and be happy.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
What I don't understand is why anyone would be surprised by this. Much of it is common sense. And there are all sorts of cliches (which almost always are at least rooted in truth) about it, i.e. 'Money can't buy happiness', etc.

The reason, I think, that more studies haven't been done is because the happy people don't complain, don't seek psychological help, don't make waves. They just go about their business, smiling all the way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
I am generally more happy since I moved back within spitting distance to my family. And, I've never been bothered with keeping up with the jone's. The rest? I guess I lose myself and I think I usually fogive pretty easily.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
bandylu2- It is very interesting. For the lst few years, it seems that our society has been focused on the "victim" mentality. Everything was happening "to" people, by their mothers, their bosses, society in general. There was much weeping and wailing about the injustices in life being the cause of a person's unhappiness.

I think now we are coming to grips with the fact that people have the ability to chart their own course, and withstand pressures, and come out stronger for it. For a long time many hadn't noticed that there were happy, functioning people coming from less than perfect circumstances.

I once heard a quote, that I believe is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, although I am not sure. It goes something like,

"A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be!"
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:09 pm
Phoenix I agree being happy with what life gives you is a choice just like being a victim is a choice. And being responsible for most of what happens in life is key we are the only ones that can deliver what we really want. Things do happen that we do not have control over but we do have a measure of control over how we deal with misfortune.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:50 am
Phoenix, that quote is a good one. I'm always telling the teary, high-strung 2.5 year old I care for to chose to be happy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:21 pm
Bah humbug . . .

A poor excuse to pick a man's pocket every twenty-fifth of december . . .
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:02 pm
'Tis true, Phoenix, except when there is a medical reason to be otherwise (i.e. clinical depression) which prevents one from concentrating on anything and makes one feel quite helpless. But barring such medical reasons, I do think even a 'born pessimist' can become an optimist with a little help and a lot of effort. Unfortunately, some people seem to enjoy wallowing in self pity.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:30 pm
bandylu2- True, to some extent. A person with chemical depression CAN learn to accept himself with his illness, and function at his maximum ability. That is why a person who merely pops a antidepressant pill for the depession is only addressing part of the problem.

He needs to learn the coping skills that will enable him to weather his chemically based storms.In cases of clinical depression, either working with a therapist, and/or attending a self help group will go a long way in enabling a person to enhance his ability to cope.
0 Replies