Head wear not allowed in France

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:16 pm
I knew that France was the Flordia of the world. I now have proof.

Banning head wear in school is so stupid. You have to read the story because it is horrible. I mean I don't wear any religious anything but I find it offinsive.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/fc/World/france/latest_developments/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20040210/ap_on_re_eu/france_head_scarves_6
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 15
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:30 pm
Quite a touchy subject...pros and cons of each side...I'm not going to take either one.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
I do wonder about all the banning of how a person chooses to dress, etc., etc., however the only time I agree with such a thing is when someone is applying for an ID or drivers license or something like that - that they must remove all facial and head coverings to be photographed properly and when being asked to identify themselves to a person of authority (police, airport control, etc.) that they agree to do so without issue. Otherwise they can go around dressed in a banana costume for all I care!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:45 pm
I do agree with what Heeven just said.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
There's already been a long, long discussion about that here ...

Chiraq bans Muslim head scarves in State Schools
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:16 pm
They could always move...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:19 pm
Does this mean that ultra-orthodox Jewish women can't wear wigs anymore?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Quote:
The classroom ban, which also applies to Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses, was approved 494-36

What exactly is a LARGE Christian cross? One inch, two inches, a foot long? Vague ain't the word for it!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:46 pm
All are talking about "classroom ba", "large crosses" etc, but the law actually is called "Loi sur le principe de laïcité" (Law on the principle of secularity), it has bee the first reading today ... and there's nothing about classrooms, crosses etc in it: Text of this law (in French, pdf-file)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:00 pm
There is a note at the beginning which points out that the text is provisional, and that only such text as that which is subsequently adopted will have the force of law.

The first article reads:

'There is inserted, in the educational code, after Article L. 141-5, an article L. 141-5-1, thus edited:

'Art. L 141-5-1.--In
[elementary] schools, colleges [publicly supported academies] and secondary schools, the wearing of symbols or modes of dress by which students ostensibly display a religious adherence is forbidden.'

'Internal regulation
[i.e., of the educational code] recalls [i.e., requires] that a disciplinary procedure is [to be] preceded by a dialogue [interview] with the student.' "

The second article lists specifically those cases in which the proposed law will apply, which is to say, which public education institutions, and education institutions receiving public support are affected.

The third article holds that the law will be in effect from the commencement of the first sholastic year after its adoption.

The fourth article requires a review of the law one year after it will have taken effect.

All in all, it seems pretty straight forward to me, and cannot at all be said to target any specific religious group.

(Edit: The translation here is close to literal, but it should be recalled that legalisms are specialized vocabularies which do not intuitively translate into other languages. The bracketed entries above were made by me as explanations.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:08 pm
Collège is the French middle-school/highschool.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:10 pm
Miller, do you think it reasonable to assume that there will be any significant number of ultra-orthodox Jewish women, or any at all, attending elementary and secondary schools in France?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:03 pm
How many ultra-orthodox Jewish women teach in the public school?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:30 pm
Note that the proposed legislation refers to students, and not staff. Whether or not staff would be subject to the same strictures is not dealt with. Why have you got a bee in your bonnet for "ultra-orthodox Jewish women?" Do you think it significant to the debate?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:07 am
McGentrix wrote:
They could always move...

Always the heartfelt comment from you. Thanks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:26 am
Miller wrote:
How many ultra-orthodox Jewish women teach in the public school?

None, they all teach in the 100+ Jewish schools.
0 Replies