Why does the Universe exist?

brianjakub

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 02:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
why the emphasis on the ‘diversity of life’? 99.9+ % of it has already disappeared from earth. Clearly, we and the environment are doing fine without them. Why consider diversity first?

For scientific reasons. The scientists say that global warming is happening and humans are responsible. Then they say we have cut back on greenhouse gases to keep the temperature as close as we can to the current temperature to maintain the species and ecosystem diversity we have today. The problem is (as you pointed out) there was much greater diversity in the past. This means there was a certain type of climate in the past that promoted an increase in biological diversity otherwise the 99.9% of biological lifeforms that came into existence through evolution would not have existed and therefor would not have had the opportunity to become extinct at all. Since, biolological diversity is essential to human survival (see biologicaldiversity.org), and I think human survival is important, then I think that for the purpose of introducing another explosion in biological diversity we should be trying to replicate the conditions that existed during the first explosion of multicellular biological organism diversity. According to the above article that was 540 million years ago when the temperature was about 14 degrees warmer.

I just can’t understand why the climatologists in conjunction with biologists would not be promoting this ideal temperature goal. Why do you think that is?

Maybe Farmerman could help us here.
cicerone imposter

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 03:31 pm
@brianjakub,
You're asking the right questions, but most of the right answers must come from the government.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:46 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
What if 10 to 14 degrees warmer is good for humans too?

The short answer is that, while a world 10 to 14 degrees warmer would not particularly good for mammals and birds (nor particularly bad), it would be GREAT news for reptiles and insects.

That's because the latter are cold-blood animals who cannot deal with cold weather, while the former are "warm-blood" (homeothermic) animals who can operate in cold weather. Therefore, cold weathers tend to give a premium to mammals and birds but the reverse tends to be true in warm climates: insects and reptiles are better suited to those.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The same will be true of CO2 and climate change.

What the expression? The triumph of hope over experience?
Leadfoot

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:01 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
I just can’t understand why the climatologists in conjunction with biologists would not be promoting this ideal temperature goal. Why do you think that is?

Well, if you believe the prevailing sentiments, it is the new specie on the planet (man) that caused the 'problem' so if they are really serious about it, the solution is to greatly reduce or eliminate the cause. And it has nothing to do with the number of species, and even if it did, the solution is the same. Either we kill of the single specie solely responsible for this 'catastrophe' or we go back to an agrarian life style with about 10 percent of current population. Or, a lucky 10% get to keep on doing what we're do'n and restrict the other billions to working in the fields for us. You pick.

And wtf constitutes an ideal temperature? According to who? When? If it were not for past hellish conditions, this rock would not allow or support our species. Besides, life will go on, biological has only benefited from events that wiped out most species. It gave earth mammals, and us, and dead dinosaurs to make oil for my toys. (hot damn! I'm going to collect another one this afternoon!)

Quote:
Maybe Farmerman could help us here.

And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt, or life can emerge from rocks.
**** happens, maybe even that.
Leadfoot

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:13 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"The same [as with the ozone hole] will be true of CO2 and climate change."

Olivier replied:
What the expression? The triumph of hope over experience?

No, just the opposite, as I said. Experience says we will react (we have) and we will fix the problem.

I am old enough to clearly remember (this was back in the 70s) the hair on fire bullshit about the Ozone layer. The scientific consensus at the time was that even if we stopped the use of CFCs completely it would take at least 75 years for the deterioration of the ozone to stop and possibly a century more to go back to previous levels. Recent news from NOAA reported that it had already returned to what they say is normal.
izzythepush

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 09:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Cutting back on CFCs is very different from the amount of greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere. Using HFCs already increases the amount of global warming.

This problem is significantly more serious. Why do you think we've had so much freak weather recently.

You're an old man so you probably don't care if future generations will be able to grow enough food to eat, but some of us have children.
brianjakub

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 09:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Well, if you believe the prevailing sentiment,. . .
And I have to admit that I was looking for an entertaining response like that. And I agree with you completely.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're an old man so you probably don't care if future generations will be able to grow enough food to eat, but some of us have children.

OK, you're right, it's all about me, **** my two kids and their four kids. Let'em eat cake.
izzythepush

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Well maybe you shouldn't be so blasé about the planet's future. Global warming is a fact and it's in a completely different league to CFCs. Just because we dodged a bullet on the ozone layer doesn't mean we'll be so lucky with fixing global warming.

The oceans are rising, islands are disappearing and, short of another ice age, they're not coming back.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
This problem is significantly more serious. Why do you think we've had so much freak weather recently.

The Earth supported much more life when it was 14 degrees warmer millions of years ago.

You want to regulate the Earths ability to produce food so people can live somewhere that might be under water in the future? You can always move unless you are starving. Do you live by the ocean or something. A person would have to be pretty selfish if your unwillingness to move is more important than feeding people, don't you think?
izzythepush

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 01:16 pm
@brianjakub,
Very different life from what's about now. Your inertia is damaging the planet. In short you're playing fast and loose with your children's future.

And for what? To boost the profits of already fabulously wealthy oil and coal barons.

The argument for clean air alone justifies getting rid of fossil fuels.
brianjakub

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 02:06 pm
@izzythepush,
So how do you know this is the ideal temp. Are you one of those white Anglo Saxon Christians that thinks the Earth was made for “your” children and not the rest of us hicks in inner continental regions.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 04:14 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
So how do you know this is the ideal temp.
If it's the temp that most life forms can survive within it, it's about as good as it gets. The earth's temp is never static. We've already experienced two ice ages. The burning of fossil fuels is damaging our atmosphere. It needs to be reduced ASAP. Governments have a responsibility to future generations.
izzythepush

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 04:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why are you bothering arguing the flaming obvious with someone who is being deliberately obtuse?

This is an article on the effect of globalisation in Mali which has lead to shrinking resources, conflict and fundamentalism. How anyone can even think it's not a bad thing is beyond me.

Part of a much longer article.

Quote:
The Sahel region - which includes Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mauritania - comprises some of the world's poorest and most fragile states, and is regarded as the most vulnerable to climate change.

On a visit to northern Mali with the ICRC, it was startling to see how the consequences of climate change are woven through the fabric of lives in what has always been a harsh existence on the edge of the encroaching Sahara desert.

"The fragility of Mali stares you in the face," remarks Mr Maurer as we stand, surrounded by a vast crowd, in a cramped camp for families fleeing insecurity and hunger in communities across northern Mali.

"The whole attention of the international community is on high visibility conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Yemen, but the fragility here has lasted for decades."

Mali is now lurching between droughts and floods. They are both lasting longer and inflicting a huge cost on crops and livestock.

And that means farmers and nomadic herders, from different ethnic groups, are facing off over shrinking resources.

"There've always been small clashes between cattle herders and cultivators but water levels are decreasing and that's creating a lot of tension," explains Hammadoun Cisse, a herder who heads a reconciliation committee trying to mediate between communities.

And Islamist groups are also fuelling these fires by meddling in this combustible mix.

"They come in as protectors of communities and then try to impose their way of living on us," explains Mr Cisse.

"We don't accept this kind of Islamic culture with jihadi ideas so this creates another conflict."

Every story we heard in northern Mali was a tale of multiple threats, all terribly tangled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/the-reporters-46921487
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Of my many travels around the world, I have never had any desire to visit Mali. I was stationed in Morocco for one year with the US Air Force. It's not because it's poor, because I have visited many poor countries, but Western Africa never had a pull for me. I've visited several in East Africa that includes Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa. Even visited Victoria Falls. I wish I had the good health to do more world travel, because there are still some countries/cities on my bucket list.
Leadfoot

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The argument for clean air alone justifies getting rid of fossil fuels.
I have no argument with that. And I don't see too many things we can do that we aren't already doing. Technology does not progress faster just because of looming dangers. But statements don't mean anything unless they include concrete measures. I don't hear anybody putting realistic ideas out there. Take the bus, train or bicycle is not a solution.

Personally, I suggest moving toward not having cars in congested cities at all if we are serious about this. I hate driving cars in those hell holes anyway. Cars make no sense in the city but cars in general are not going away soon and it will take at least a couple of decades to shift to alternative fuels no matter what laws are passed.

Let's hope that's soon enough because all this hand wringing is useless.
brianjakub

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If it's the temp that most life forms can survive within it, it's about as good as it gets. The earth's temp is never static. We've already experienced two ice ages. The burning of fossil fuels is damaging our atmosphere. It needs to be reduced ASAP. Governments have a responsibility to future generations

But I just provided evidence that there were more life forms in the past at a considerably higher temp than we are now experiencing suggesting that the ideal temp for life is higher.

Why are you ignoring that scientific data?
Could you provide some historical data to counter that argument?

The burning of fossil fuels is increasing the temperature of the atmosphere to a more optimal temperature. The scientific data suggests that the temp needs to rise to support more life. I suggest we still have about 14 degrees to go. Governments have a responsibility to provide an environment that is best suited for providing a global environment that will support the population growth of future generations of humans, and for the evolution of new species and their future generations and increased populations.

Why would you want the government to hinder that loftier goal? Is it just just to save the coastal housing of this generation?

Besides, this won't happen overnight. They can slowly move to higher ground, can't they?
brianjakub

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 06:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Why are you bothering arguing the flaming obvious with someone who is being deliberately obtuse?

This is an article on the effect of globalisation in Mali which has lead to shrinking resources, conflict and fundamentalism. How anyone can even think it's not a bad thing is beyond me.

So, are you saying you are willing to provide a more optimal climate for Mali in exchange for an overall less favorable global climate?

Are you a Malisupremest. Are you Malinationalist?

And why are you bringing Mali's corrupt form of government into a global climate debate?

Are you suggesting Mali needs a new government and maybe the global economy is being corrupted by multinational organisations?

Sounds like you are trying to turn a scientific debate into a political debate.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:56 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
But I just provided evidence that there were more life forms in the past at a considerably higher temp than we are now experiencing suggesting that the ideal temp for life is higher.
. Have you not heard of evolution, and how life forms learn to acclimate to their environment within certain parameters?