Why does the Universe exist?

Olivier5

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 02:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Who determines which "ones" are the best? No easy answer.

All you need is one that works for you.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 03:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
All you need is one that works for you.
. Many try, but there are also many who follow their party politics and religion.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 04:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Granted that in the grand scheme of thing, the extinction of Homo sapiens could be good for biodiversity.

However it wouldn't be very good for human beings, including those who came up with the largely absurd notion of "biodiversity".
Olivier5

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:18 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
the largely absurd notion of "biodiversity

?
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 09:50 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
CI Quote:
"those "other critters" won't understand what's happening."

Olivier replied:
I’m not so sure that other species don’t think.

CI surprised me there. He said he chooses to believe the scientist who told him there is no reason for the universe to exist nor is there any significant difference between humans and animals.

After all, that's what we are, according to the theory he believes so strongly in. We're just a little smarter, that's all, and we humans don't want to get all superior about that, otherwise, the smart people can properly justify extinguishing all us lesser intelligent folks, along with the Gypsies, gays, Jews and other undesirables who don't understand that they are the master race who are fit to properly rule the planet.

Sorry, I just felt like a rant this AM.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
There's no such thing as a perfect climate. But there is a type of climate that can kill us and our kids, the type we're heading towards.

Granted that in the grand scheme of thing, the extinction of Homo sapiens could be good for biodiversity.

What if 10 to 14 degrees warmer is good for humans too?

According to the following wiki article we don't know much at all and if anything warmer is better than colder because colder means glaciers and glaciers means starvation.
cicerone imposter

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 03:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Speaks for itself, doesn't it? LOL
0 Replies

brianjakub

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 01:12 pm
@brianjakub,
Sorry I forgot to include the link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_temperature_record
cicerone imposter

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 01:32 pm
@brianjakub,
Very good info, but it's way beyond my pay grade, and my lifespan.
brianjakub

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is not beyond your pay grade. It is real and easy to understand. Deciding the ideal temp from the chart seems obvious, warmer is better than colder for at least 10 to 14 degrees warmer rather than cooler. You were a successful accountant because you understood numbers as they explained the history of a business to tell where it is going so, give me your accounting opinion. I promise I won’t change the thermostat of the Earth according to your answer.
cicerone imposter

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 03:48 pm
@brianjakub,
The only way we can control the world climate is to stop destroying our ozone layer. bj, You have a good memory, and thanks for having something positive to say about my a2k persona. Even I know I can be too blunt with some of my opinions, but I've always been a "call a spade a spade" kind of guy. Not many grays in my life, and too opinionated for some.
brianjakub

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 07:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your welcome. I am still interested in how you interpret the historical climate data as it pertains to providing for sustanance of the most life forms.
cicerone imposter

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:37 pm
@brianjakub,
Historical climate data is pretty accurate, because climatologists study these things from the layers in the glaciers that are very old, and they can arrive at some assumptions from them. https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/glaciers/questions/climate.html. That would include life forms and their extinction or survival. As you may know, ice is a very good preservative. A 5,000 year old ice man was found in 1991.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 14 Jan, 2019 09:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The only way we can control the world climate is to stop destroying our ozone layer.

Come on CI. There was an observance of our success in solving the ozone hole problem just recently. It has shrunk almost to nothing and is predicted to be completely 'healed' within a decade or two.

The same will be true of CO2 and climate change. No need to get our panties in a bunch.
brianjakub

Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
I diagree. I think the historical data suggests we should be warmer. We need to worry more about diversity of life forms and worry less about humans having to move inland.

What do you think cicerone?
cicerone imposter

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 12:36 am
@brianjakub,
You can't go by historical data, because of human pollution of the atmosphere.
brianjakub

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 03:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
Explain please.
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 08:02 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
We need to worry more about diversity of life forms and worry less about humans having to move inland.

That's surprising, coming from you. Not that I am in favor of wiping out species willy nilly, but why the emphasis on 'diversity of life'? 99.9+ % of it has already dissapeared from earth. Clearly, we and the environment are doing fine without them. Why consider diversity first?

Just as an aside, isn't it funny that the Netherlands (much of which is below sea level) is not the poster child for climate change?
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 08:06 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
@cicerone imposter,
Explain please.
He doesn't understand the distinction between the Ozone layer and the climate change thing. How you expect him to do that?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 11:53 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
I diagree. I think the historical data suggests we should be warmer.
This planet has gone through two ice ages, and the current warming trend is the beginning of another. From the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2003/nov/13/comment.research. Also, https://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Atmosphere/pollution_climate_change.html
0 Replies