Why does the Universe exist?

cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 11:39 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Why did this intelligent designer appear so late in human history? Why does your god resemble many of the Greek and Egyptian gods that were precursors to your god? You find none of this strange? How about all the other gods that were created in other countries and cultures. Why so many gods? Why does the Christian god have more credibility?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_comparative_mythology
Leadfoot

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 09:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
actually it does . Since the lives of the patriarchs (Beginning with Adam) constitute a timeline thats under 10000 years.

That is only if you are a fundamentalist who reads the book as purely literal text and insist the the 'days' of creation meant an earth normal day.

I don’t even want to debate such stupidity.

Even the book points out that the time scale we use has nothing to do with the creator's.
Quote:
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2 Peter 3:7-8 KJV

And even our science teaches that time is not constant. - see 'inflation theory'.
Or see what it says about time on a black hole - it stops completely.
Or what happens when your speed increases - time slows down.

Using The '7000 year old earth' is the most ignorant argument against the Bible you can find. This is true regardless of whether you are talking from science or theology.
farmerman

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 09:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
That is only if you are a fundamentalist who reads the book as purely literal text and insist the the 'days' of creation meant an earth normal day.

I don’t even want to debate such stupidity.
So your Bible is the "correct one"??
Did Jesus sign off? What about the books he didnnt include in the Bible?? Soma them are pretty scientific ya know.

One thing e do in cience is that qe argue the hell outta something and then agree when the evidence seems to coalesce around a fact.

Apparently you guys are not constrained by facts eh?
cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
@farmerman,
Yea, like the creation of earth and how man resembles god.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 10:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
That is a lot of questions in one post.
Here, start with these links.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/howtodefendyourfaith.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/is-christianity-a-copycat-religion/amp/

https://probe.org/the-pagan-connection-did-christianity-borrow-from-the-mystery-religions/

This guy is an atheist, but teaches ppl that Jesus was a historical figure (not a mythical person or god like what u are claiming)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman

There are soooooo many claims, whether it be the age of the earth, or whether it be that 9/11 was a big conspiracy, or that Humanity did not visit the moon. All sorts of claims which ppl say:
‘ you do not find any of this strange....’ ppl ‘offer up’ their evidence even too.

I have concluded that Jesus was a historical figure after sifting through stuff like your link.
Leadfoot

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 10:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“That is only if you are a fundamentalist who reads the book as purely literal text and insist the the 'days' of creation meant an earth normal day. “

I don’t even want to debate such stupidity. “

Farmerman replied:
Did Jesus sign off? What about the books he didnnt include in the Bible?? Soma them are pretty scientific ya know.

One thing e do in cience is that qe argue the hell outta something and then agree when the evidence seems to coalesce around a fact.

This illustrates why I no longer debate biology with you. This post illustrates how you can’t stay engaged on a single thread of thought.

First you say:
Quote:

The subject was whether the Bible says the earth is only 7000 years old, not whether it is the 'correct one'. That is the fact we were discussing. If you wish to advocate for another holy book I’m sure there are threads for that elsewhere.

Then you said:
Quote:
. Again, way off topic, no claim was made for Jesus' sign off. Nor did he choose any of the material for the Bible. [/quote]

You continued with:
Quote:

Yeah well, I tried to do that but you don’t seem to be able to stick to one topic long enough to coalesce around anything.

You concluded with:
Quote:

I did state several facts in my post (not included in your quote) which were relevant to the subject and supported my argument, but it is you who were not constrained by those facts. If you want to refute my argument here or the facts I used, either put up or shut up, but don’t just change the subject if you can’t do either.
izzythepush

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 10:44 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Using The '7000 year old earth' is the most ignorant argument against the Bible you can find. This is true regardless of whether you are talking from science or theology.

Maybe you should tell GungaBunga that because he claims it's true, and you don't appear to have any problems with his other outlandish claims.

From here it looks like you'll agree with anything that supports your ideological position no matter how deranged or totally nutzoid it may be. Evidence backed research, however, that you've got a problem with.
cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:15 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
There were many Jesus (English translation) during that period, but it still doesn't answer the question of homo sapien evolution and the time frame of the Savior's appearance. What happens to all those people who existed before he appeared in Jerusalem? They didn't know anything about the bible Jesus and how he's able to "SAVE" people. He didn't exist. Also prove that the timeline of primates provided by scientists doesn't exist.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9989-timeline-human-evolution/
Helloandgoodbye

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:15 am
@Leadfoot,
You are taking 2 peter 3:8 out of context to support the idea that the creation days are long periods of time.
http://www.icr.org/bible/2Peter/3/1-13

That verse is simply saying God is outside of time. It has nothing to do with the creation week at all, or any other day. That he is eternal.

The biblical timeline is clear and simple. From the first Adam to the second Adam (Christ). Whom we know lived about 2000 years ago.
Genesis chapter 5 and chapter 11 gave an unbroken genealogy, and when the lifespans of these people are added up, it gives us the creation date of the first Adam, which is approximately 6000 years ago.
Also keep in mind that God created the land animals on the same 24 day he created mankind.(day 6)

Now, working off of that fact, we have to ask ourselves if God rested on the seventh day, does that mean he has been resting the last 6000 years?!
No.
He rested for one day, a 24 hour period.

Also, keep in mind that biblical teaching reveals that the original creation was harmless, without a single thorn, and that the lion laid with the lamb ( was vegetarian)
Is it really reasonable to assume that lions were eating Lambs lonnnnng Before the fall? No.

Thoughts?

Leadfoot

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:21 am
@izzythepush,
You’re learning from fm I guess - When you can’t argue your point, change the subject.

Gungasnake and I are two different people and whether or not I agree with one thing or another that he believes has nothing to do with the discussion.
Helloandgoodbye

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
The whole entire Old Testament revolves around the fall of mankind, sin, and needing a savior, (the Lamb of God)
Everybody before Jesus Were made more than well aware of their sinful state and condition.
Making statements like this Say a lot. It demonstrates your lack of searching for answers. Is it really reveals how far off the mark you are.

I hope this helps some

Leadfoot

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:30 am
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
You are taking 2 peter 3:8 out of context to support the idea that the creation days are long periods of time.
http://www.icr.org/bible/2Peter/3/1-13
That would be an interesting discussion in theology but out of place here. I understand that your religion's dogma has the 'days' of creation to be literal 24 hour earth days but I don’t accept anything based on dogma whether it be “science“ or religion.

I put “science” in quotes because true science has no dogma. That includes the dogma that there are no forces outside those understood as physics at this time.
izzythepush

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:41 am
@Leadfoot,
I wasn't arguing any point, just noticed a glaring inconsistency in your approach, and pointed it out.

You're the one changing the subject.

The point I'd like to make btw, is that there's no point arguing with someone who talks bollocks all the time. You know it's bollocks but you've got to spend time and energy finding the sources that prove it's bollocks. And for what? Only for them to start spouting another load of bollocks that they expect you to disprove.

If FM wants to do that, fair enough. I applaud him for that, and yes I do take his word on a lot of things, not because of any loyalty but because I know the alternative is clearly a load of old bollocks.

If you want to believe in God or whatever, but don't try to rewrite science so it fits your own beliefs. It reeks of desperation and is clearly bollocks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:17 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Why did god need to create a "rest day?"
Quote:
The calendar was created
In the 11th century in Persia, a calendar reform led by Khayyam was announced in 1079, where the length of the year was measured as 365.24219858156 days.[2] Given that the length of the year is changing in the sixth decimal place over a person's lifetime, this is outstandingly accurate. For comparison the length of the year at the end of the 19th century was 365.242196 days, while today it is 365.242190 days.[2]

The development of the calendar can't be perfect, because the length of the year changes over time.
Quote:
History
The earliest known lunar calendar was found at Warren Field in Scotland and has been dated to c. 8000 bc, during its Mesolithic period.[1] Some scholars argue for lunar calendars still further back—Rappenglück in the marks on a c. 17,000 year-old cave painting at Lascaux and Marshack in the marks on a c. 27,000 year-old bone baton—but their findings remain controversial.[2][3]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:21 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
That doesn't help at all! Homo sapiens have been around for 200,000 years, but your Jesus appeared only 2,000 years ago. He failed to save all those people who existed before him. Also, if man is made in the image of god, how does he appear in NYC and Beijing at the same time? How does he hear all the prayers spoken around the world? Research at Stanford and Yale Universities have shown that prayer does not work. In some instances when the ill person prays, it seems to have some positive effect. It seems to be based on inner peace and comfort for the patient that helps. In other cases, it may be a coincidence more than reality.
farmerman

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
YALE??? good grief, whatabout the divinity school. Those guys still wear collars to class
cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
It might have been Harvard. My memory is not all that reliable.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 05:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
😔
Well brother, I think from here out it may be best if you ask Google. After all, this is the information age.
There are answers for your questions. I personally can only spend so much time with people of different faiths, caught up in false teachings.

This is why Jeremiah wrote ‘ those who seek the truth will find the truth, when is sought with all their heart’
It Is the way God designed things, to ‘weed out’ the people whos hearts are not in the right place.
Hopefully see u in Eternity!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 05:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I don’t accept anything based on dogma

Translation: I don’t accept SOMEBODY ELSE'S dogma, but I'm fine with my own...
Leadfoot

Sun 29 Jul, 2018 03:28 pm
@Olivier5,
And what would that be? I haven’t asked anyone to accept anything simply on my say so.

In case you have forgotten what dogma means:

dog·ma
ˈdôɡmə
noun
a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly
true.

For example - "the Christian dogma of the Trinity"