Why does the Universe exist?

Olivier5

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
And what would that be?

The dogma that there must be something wrong with the theory of evolution.
farmerman

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 08:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Missed this self congratulatory crap. Youv quit "engaging me" because you are arguing something that has not even been verified to the level of beingmore than a "tale from the desert "

Quote:
The subject was whether the Bible says the earth is only 7000 years old,
To which I responded in a format that you are so quick to use but (apparently) disallow for others to use. I SAID-that if we use the Genesis Account of the Age of the Patriarchs, the Bible (KJV) coalesces around a 4000 yr-bp time line. 7000 years , although longer, has not been recognized by any Biblical SCholars or Jewish Bullshit detectors.

Quote:
way off topic, no claim was made for Jesus' sign off
The only way appropriate to respond to your assertions is with HUMOR. (I may need to go to Merriam Webster to define what that is so you can undo your fake Mr Spockness)

Quote:
I did state several facts in my post (not included in your quote) which were relevant to the subject and supported my argument, but it is you who were not constrained by those facts.
See above. Ive consistantly asked for evidence other than your embedded incredulity and you and BJ's consistant "Mix" of Biblical and religious excesses within this discussion is something I feel is kinda bit of some cheap trix.
Ive been really open and willing to discuss genetics and geology and chemistry as pertains to lifes ascension nd you usually just IGNORE EM. So what am I to do to get your assertions here they belong?

I aint gonna stop reacting to your statements that I do not "buy" in the least. So by you merely ignoring me will get you nothing except my free shot at you and what I consider som "dumass statements"

Your FEAR of the less than scientific work of the editorial Staff of the Discovery Institute and their "Senior Fellows" gives you adjida. Weve been deling with these guys in the P "SCIENCE ADVISORY BOARDS" for over 25 years. Youve been sucked into their club without ANY counter analyses and review of alternatives. I hve qnd I find them quite less than compelling despite your and gunga's predeliction to equate advanced degrees with "know how"
After my advanced degrees Ive been working 40+ fuckin years in these fields and the one thing Ive learned is to save the Conclusions till Ive read and understood all the supportive citations (AND the non-supportive ones). A good review for understanding may take many months of pure literature reviews .(Thats why I dont see any more assertive stuff from others about "neutral theory " as a selective ID tool)
I like the way youve summarized your feelings about these new Pre Hominin jaws that were found in Greece. Without any discussion ,
why -is-that?, you criticized the understanding of the fossil record wrt great apes and pre- Homo . Youve exposed a lot of how your catechist mind works.
Call me what you wish, It just aint gonna sink in and scare me off.
Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 09:47 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“And what would [my dogma] be?”

Oliver replied:
The dogma that there must be something wrong with the theory of evolution.
What perfect irony.

If there is nothing wrong with it then it must be perfect and so must not be questioned.

You have just claimed the theory of evolution as your own dogma.
farmerman

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 09:54 am
@Leadfoot,
its not dogma where evidence exists. Evidence??
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:14 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“The subject was whether the Bible says the earth is only 7000 years old,”

Farmerman:
To which I responded in a format that you are so quick to use but (apparently) disallow for others to use. I SAID-that if we use the Genesis Account of the Age of the Patriarchs, the Bible (KJV) coalesces around a 4000 yr-bp time line. 7000 years , although longer, has not been recognized by any Biblical SCholars or Jewish Bullshit detectors.

To remind you once again, the subject is the age of the earth according to the Bible, not age of the Patriarchs. But thank you for pointing out that Biblical scholars do not agree that the earth is only 7000 years old in spite of CI's claim that the Bible does say that (which is where this argument began).

Some fundamentalists (a tiny minority) do claim the earth is 7000 years old, but that is not the contention here. That claim is based on the idea that creation only took 6 literal earth days. No serious Bible scholars hold that view either.

But it’s nice to debate something new for a change.
farmerman

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:18 am
@Leadfoot,
youre gonna need someone with more cred than I to explain what I meant about the Ages of the Patriarchs v Age of the Earth.

I dont know why we just cant move along without arguing about how someone counts their planets age. '

HA I just looked it up and CI is rite, not me. I fucked up because the earth was created 4004 BC
Olivier5

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 02:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
By always trying to find a fault in evolution, you're trying to find a fault in your own god's creation. Instead you should marvel at evolution, for if your god did anything, it's to set the whole thing on.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:24 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
From humanorigins.si.edu. Modern humans evolved a unique combination of physical and behavioral characteristics, many of which other early human species also possessed, though not to the same degree. The complex brains of modern humans enabled them to interact with each other and with their surroundings in new and different ways. As the environment became more unpredictable, bigger brains helped our ancestors survive. They made specialized tools, and use tools to make other tools, as described above; they ate a variety of animal and plant foods; they had control over fire; they lived in shelters; they built broad social networks, sometimes including people they have never even met; they exchanged resources over wide areas; and they created art, music, personal adornment, rituals, and a complex symbolic world. Modern humans have spread to every continent and vastly expanded their numbers. They have altered the world in ways that benefit them greatly. But this transformation has unintended consequences for other species as well as for ourselves, creating new survival challenges.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:33 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
If they had actually done that, Christianity as we know it would not exist today. It emerged however, on the strength of the eyewitness claims of Jesus’ resurrection.

That's quite a statement! LOL Belief in gods by homo sapiens is a worldwide wonder. It provides the believer with some comfort that there's a god to oversee what goes on on planet earth. That's laughable at best. The christian God came on the scene based on one culture, but there are other cultures that created their own gods.

Quote:
HomeLetters
Published 9 August 2006
How many gods are there?
From Chris Brooking

Feedback might be a bit quick to dismiss the idea of fractional gods (Feedback, 22 July). The Hindu Brihadaranyaka Upanishad certainly considers the possibility of one-and-a-half gods:

Then Vidagdha, the son of Sakala, asked him: “How many gods are there, Yajnavalkya?
Yajnavalky said, “As many as are indicated in the Nivid of the Visvadevas – 300 and 3003.”
“Very well,” said Sakalya. “How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?”
“Thirty-three.”
“Six.”
“Three.”
“Very well,” said Sakalya. “How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?” …

Bradford, Yorkshire, UK

In other words, as many as you believe there are. Does the Buddhist or Hindu gods any less than the Christian god? Why?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:41 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Bart Ehrman is no different from other believers in gods. He has a motive for it. There's no proof of any god; no evidence. Gods are based on faith. They have all been created by men; different cultures created different gods. Faith is not a dependable emotion for truth or facts. God(s) appeared too late in human history. Our biological life is a temporary one on this planet. Accept it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:44 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
By always trying to find a fault in evolution, you're trying to find a fault in your own god's creation. Instead you should marvel at evolution, for if your god did anything, it's to set the whole thing on.

Science moves forward by finding fault in all theories. Didn’t you get the memo?

But if you want to defend evolution, tell me a plausible evolutionary path for the male whale's reproductive system. Remember, the whale presumably evolved from a land mammal resembling a small deer. Hint: The whale's testicles are internal to the whale.

If you don’t understand the problem you aren’t qualified to debate evolution.

I await your answer.
Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Science moves forward by finding fault in all theories. Didn’t you get the memo?

But if you want to defend evolution, tell me a plausible evolutionary path for the male whale's reproductive system. Remember, the whale presumably evolved from a land mammal resembling a small deer. Hint: The whale's testicles are internal to the whale.

If you don’t understand the question you aren’t qualified to debate evolution.

I await your answer.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 04:49 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
Jesus Were made more than well aware of their sinful state and condition.
Humans are animals. It wasn't that long ago that humans ate other humans. Cultures developed their own laws and still created conflicts within itself. http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1179&context=fss_papers
Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

The internet ate my first answer and duplicated my second attempt.

Anyway, it is quite possible that God did encode all that followed into the first living cell. We can’t tell that because we don’t have access to that early life. And because we have not unraveled all the layers of encoding in DNA.

But yes, I do marvel at it every day.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
HA I just looked it up and CI is rite, not me. I fucked up because the earth was created 4004 BC

And just where did you look up this amazing fact?
Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:31 pm
My friend Stephen Sibbald on Quora recently said something I’ve been trying to say for years, but unsuccessfully.

He said:
Quote:
People who think science rules out the possibility of God misunderstand science. Science does no such thing.

Often their error is that they think naturalism is part of science and not philosophy. Naturalism does rule out God — and everything supernatural— but it is decidedly unscientific.
Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 05:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Humans are animals. It wasn't that long ago that humans ate other humans. Cultures developed their own laws and still created conflicts within itself. http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1179&context=fss_papers

Bet ya a nickel that you didn’t even read what was in that link...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
Science doesn't have to say anything about god. Science does not make moral judgments. It's self-explanatory if you trust science.
From Smithsonian.com.
Quote:
The process of figuring out a rock’s age often falls to the scientific techniques of radiometric dating, the most famous of which is radiocarbon dating. This process focuses on the ratio between the number of carbon-14 and carbon-12 isotopes in any once-living being: that ratio indicates how long it’s been since that being was alive. But carbon is not the only element that can be dated—a whole host of others exist. In uranium-lead dating, for instance, the radioactive decay of uranium into lead proceeds at a reliable rate.

Based on the very old zircon rock from Australia we know that the Earth is at least 4.374 billion years old. But it could certainly be older. Scientists tend to agree that our little planet is around 4.54 billion years old—give or take a few hundred million.

Leadfoot

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI, you are the champion of non sequitur. I salute you.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Where is the flaw?