Why does the Universe exist?

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 7 Apr, 2017 11:52 pm
@Krumple,
Trump is a collage of egos speaking all the same discourse about any theme in perfect sync with public media noise.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 06:24 am
@Krumple,
Quote:

Leadfoot wrote:
"And they say the idea of 'God' is evidence free!"

I agree with Fil, it is.

And of course we have all kinds of evidence that galactic clusters and filaments are the synapses and brain of the universe/God/consciousness/whateverthefuck you want to call it.

You guys are a hoot!
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 07:24 am
@Leadfoot,
One question for ya.
When did the collapse of the wave function killed God and can he resurrect? Very Happy
Krumple

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 11:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Leadfoot wrote:
"And they say the idea of 'God' is evidence free!"

I agree with Fil, it is.

And of course we have all kinds of evidence that galactic clusters and filaments are the synapses and brain of the universe/God/consciousness/whateverthefuck you want to call it.

You guys are a hoot!

They aren't synapses of any brain. I would never conclude that.
0 Replies

RandyS

Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:22 pm
TuringEquivalent wrote:
Quote:
Why does the Universe exist? There are two questions here.
First, why is there a Universe at all? It might have been true
that nothing ever existed: no living beings, no stars, no atoms,
not even space or time. When we think about this possibility,
it can seem astonishing that anything exists. Second, why does
this Universe exist? Things might have been, in countless
ways, different. So why is the Universe as it is?

The questions are wrong. Reality is what it is and cannot be anything else. The reality is, there is the universe. What is, is, and couldn't be something else. If you believe it could be something else, you must explain how. It implies something caused reality that could have failed to cause reality or could have caused to be something else. Since reality includes every thing there is, even an imaginary cause, it includes what that cause actually did, and what it did was cause the universe there is.

Randy
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:27 pm
@RandyS,
Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions. Many, even today, believe we are the result of some god(s). Some of us believe it's based on natural outcomes and evolution.
brianjakub

Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
When did the collapse of the wave function killed God and can he resurrect?

It didn't kill God, it is killing the universe and, its been dying ever since the first collapse of the wave function.
0 Replies

RandyS

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions.

You use the phrase, "subjective perception," as though it implied something wrong with perception. Technically perception is not, "subjective." It is the only source of objectivity and only means, "what we are conscious of."

Human perception is totally reliable and the universe we perceive is exactly as we perceive it.

Perception

The Nature of Consciousness

Randy
cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:50 am
@RandyS,
Quote:
You use the phrase, "subjective perception," as though it implied something wrong with perception.

Your subjective interpretation of my meaning is wrong. Show me where I implied such a thing? Isn't that the reason our world has different political parties and religions, different governance styles, and different outcomes? The world is full of humans making subjective choices in what we do every day. Many try to learn by our mistakes. These choices has nothing to do with intelligence; they are subjective choices.

Politically, I'm an Independent because I find both positives and negatives in both parties. That's my subjective choice.
RandyS

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You use the phrase, "subjective perception," as though it implied something wrong with perception.

Your subjective interpretation of my meaning is wrong. Show me where I implied such a thing?

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said. You wrote: "Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions," which I thought implied there was something "unfortunate" about subjective perception. If that's not what you meant I'd be curious to know what you did mean.

Randy
cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 02:41 pm
@RandyS,
Here's a good example of subjective perception. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist. Same family, same background, but I felt that the teachings had too many contradictions. My young mind couldn't reconcile "thou shalt not kill," and "kill unbelievers." That included men, women and children (babies). There is no ethical reason to kill children, not even the command from god.
InfraBlue

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 04:39 pm
@RandyS,
RandyS wrote:
Human perception is totally reliable and the universe we perceive is exactly as we perceive it.

The perception varies, though. Look at something as simple as a photograph of a dress.
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/02/28/business/28dress1-web/28dress1-web-blog427.jpg
What color is the dress?
RandyS

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Here's a good example of subjective perception. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist.

I'm sorry, I fail to see what that has to do with perception. It is certainly a difference of thinking, but not what one is consciously aware of.

Nevertheless, if that's how you choose to think of it, then you do. I have no interest in changing you mind. It's just not how I understand it.

Randy
cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:53 pm
@RandyS,
It has to do with perception. Christians believe there is an after life. I'm sorry you fail to see that simple concept.
Quote:
Perception is not only the passive receipt of these signals, but it's also shaped by the recipient's learning, memory, expectation, and attention.[3][4]

Christians have the expectation to go to heaven.
0 Replies

RandyS

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
What color is the dress?

I have no idea. It's a photograph. I was a photographer for years and am totally familiar with how photographs can be manipulated. Nevertheless, the dress has some colors (it's not a single color), and if you or I saw the original, the color we saw would be the correct one in the context we were seeing it.

Pleasse see the aritlce Perception.

Randy
izzythepush

Mon 23 Oct, 2017 09:36 am
@RandyS,

Quote:
"The dress" is a photograph that became a viral Internet meme on 26 February 2015, when viewers disagreed over whether the colours of the item of clothing depicted were black and blue or white and gold. The phenomenon revealed differences in human colour perception which have been the subject of ongoing scientific investigation in neuroscience and vision science, with a number of papers published in peer-reviewed science journals.

The photo originated from a washed-out colour photograph of a dress posted on the social networking service Tumblr. In the first week after the surfacing of the image alone, more than 10 million tweets mentioned the dress, using hashtags such as #thedress, #whiteandgold and #blackandblue. Although the actual colour of the dress was eventually confirmed to be black and blue, the image prompted discussions surrounding the matter across various platforms, with users discussing their opinions on the colour and why they perceived the dress as being a certain colour. At the same time, members of the scientific community began to investigate the photo for fresh insights into human colour vision.

The dress itself, which was identified as a product of the retailer Roman Originals, experienced a major surge in sales as a result of the incident. The retailer also produced a one-off version of the dress in white and gold as a charity campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Oct, 2017 08:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Our reality is how "we" perceive it. It doesn't matter if some people see different colors in the same dress. That is their reality.
Some of us have heard about the different interpretations of the same accident. The drivers have a different interpretation than those who witnessed the accident. We all bring our past experiences and biases to how we perceive the world around us. That's normal.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 23 Oct, 2017 09:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
With all candeur I rather opt to say perception is real and perceived objects a part of reality in the least to a partial less tangible degree. For instance a mirage is a real experience...a cartoon a real character in a comics book, a symbol an actual symbol...
cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Oct, 2017 09:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
If we perceive a mirage, that is the reality. All graphics that is produced and seen are real.
0 Replies

nameless

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 08:44 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Why does the Universe exist?

~~~ The only context where your question makes any rational sense, as far as I can see, is if you define a 'why' as a 'reason for being', a function!
Why is a hammer? To drive nails. To pull a few. To punch a hole in someone's deserving skull. Whatever it's function, at the moment. The 'complete why', would include all functions at all moments, from all Perspectives!

On one hand, all 'why's' are nothing more than ego masturbation, thought!
Whatever you can imagine is as valid a 'why' as any other, depending on Perspective!
And all that mental masturbation means nothing more than a fart in the wind, hence it's being referred to as 'masturbation'. Great thoughts feel soooo good! *__-

There is no why to the Universe, the sum total of all that exists, God!
We Are that We Are!

All existence, ever, is no more than a moment of Universal Self Knowledge, Enlightenment, and gone.
No planning, no planner, no reason, ... just 'is'.