69

Why does the Universe exist?

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 11:52 pm
@Krumple,
Trump is a collage of egos speaking all the same discourse about any theme in perfect sync with public media noise.

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 06:24 am
@Krumple,

Leadfoot wrote:
"And they say the idea of 'God' is evidence free!"

I agree with Fil, it is.

And of course we have all kinds of evidence that galactic clusters and filaments are the synapses and brain of the universe/God/consciousness/whateverthefuck you want to call it.

You guys are a hoot!
Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 07:24 am
@Leadfoot,
One question for ya.
When did the collapse of the wave function killed God and can he resurrect? Very Happy
Krumple

1  
Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 11:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:

I agree with Fil, it is.

You guys are a hoot!

They aren't synapses of any brain. I would never conclude that.

RandyS

1  
Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:22 pm
TuringEquivalent wrote:
Why does the Universe exist? There are two questions here.
First, why is there a Universe at all? It might have been true
that nothing ever existed: no living beings, no stars, no atoms,
not even space or time. When we think about this possibility,
it can seem astonishing that anything exists. Second, why does
this Universe exist? Things might have been, in countless
ways, different. So why is the Universe as it is?

The questions are wrong. Reality is what it is and cannot be anything else. The reality is, there is the universe. What is, is, and couldn't be something else. If you believe it could be something else, you must explain how. It implies something caused reality that could have failed to cause reality or could have caused to be something else. Since reality includes every thing there is, even an imaginary cause, it includes what that cause actually did, and what it did was cause the universe there is.

Randy

1  
Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:27 pm
@RandyS,
Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions. Many, even today, believe we are the result of some god(s). Some of us believe it's based on natural outcomes and evolution.
brianjakub

1  
Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 02:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
When did the collapse of the wave function killed God and can he resurrect?

It didn't kill God, it is killing the universe and, its been dying ever since the first collapse of the wave function.

RandyS

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions.

You use the phrase, "subjective perception," as though it implied something wrong with perception. Technically perception is not, "subjective." It is the only source of objectivity and only means, "what we are conscious of."

Human perception is totally reliable and the universe we perceive is exactly as we perceive it.

Perception

The Nature of Consciousness

Randy

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:50 am
@RandyS,
You use the phrase, "subjective perception," as though it implied something wrong with perception.

Your subjective interpretation of my meaning is wrong. Show me where I implied such a thing? Isn't that the reason our world has different political parties and religions, different governance styles, and different outcomes? The world is full of humans making subjective choices in what we do every day. Many try to learn by our mistakes. These choices has nothing to do with intelligence; they are subjective choices.

Politically, I'm an Independent because I find both positives and negatives in both parties. That's my subjective choice.
RandyS

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Your subjective interpretation of my meaning is wrong. Show me where I implied such a thing?

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said. You wrote: "Unfortunately for us humans, our reality is based on subjective perceptions," which I thought implied there was something "unfortunate" about subjective perception. If that's not what you meant I'd be curious to know what you did mean.

Randy

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 02:41 pm
@RandyS,
Here's a good example of subjective perception. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist. Same family, same background, but I felt that the teachings had too many contradictions. My young mind couldn't reconcile "thou shalt not kill," and "kill unbelievers." That included men, women and children (babies). There is no ethical reason to kill children, not even the command from god.
InfraBlue

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 04:39 pm
@RandyS,
RandyS wrote:

The perception varies, though. Look at something as simple as a photograph of a dress.
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/02/28/business/28dress1-web/28dress1-web-blog427.jpg
What color is the dress?
RandyS

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's a good example of subjective perception. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist.

I'm sorry, I fail to see what that has to do with perception. It is certainly a difference of thinking, but not what one is consciously aware of.

Nevertheless, if that's how you choose to think of it, then you do. I have no interest in changing you mind. It's just not how I understand it.

Randy

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:53 pm
@RandyS,
It has to do with perception. Christians believe there is an after life. I'm sorry you fail to see that simple concept.
Perception is not only the passive receipt of these signals, but it's also shaped by the recipient's learning, memory, expectation, and attention.[3][4]

Christians have the expectation to go to heaven.

RandyS

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
What color is the dress?

I have no idea. It's a photograph. I was a photographer for years and am totally familiar with how photographs can be manipulated. Nevertheless, the dress has some colors (it's not a single color), and if you or I saw the original, the color we saw would be the correct one in the context we were seeing it.

Pleasse see the aritlce Perception.

Randy