Why does the Universe exist?

Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 06:56 pm
@mark noble,
I hope my, "tether" lived up to your expectations? (sarcasm)
mark noble

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:00 pm
@Logicus,
Yes, you acted as I expected.
Not sure this 'open-market' is a great place for a 10 yr old though.
Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:02 pm
@mark noble,
I can't stop him. He wants to have discussions. Plus, I think he was a personal vendetta to someone who thought he only copy and pasted things as arguments.
mark noble

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:06 pm
@Logicus,
Ok, but I, and others, have tendencies toward occasional profanity.
Be warned.
Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:07 pm
@mark noble,
Then I hope he will able to endure it detachedly. I will be overseeing his responses to see if he lives up to my expectations.
mark noble

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:10 pm
@Logicus,
Good.
But you don't take a minor to a strip-joint and expect the stripper to stay clothed for his sake.
Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:11 pm
@mark noble,
If he disappoints me, there will be consequences that a brother can inflict.
mark noble

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:13 pm
@Logicus,
Lol.
Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:14 pm
@mark noble,
I wasn't joking.
mark noble

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:15 pm
@Logicus,
Nor I.
Logicus

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:16 pm
@mark noble,
I see.
0 Replies

solisc

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:02 am
@TuringEquivalent,
The universe is an infinitely vast continuum of space and matter that is currently in perpetual expansion. But why is there a universe at all and why does this one exist? These are very difficult questions to answer, mostly because no one person can provide a definite answer. Any response to this question would be entirely subjective. So personally, I believe that there is no reason as to why the universe exists, it just does. We as humans cannot grasp the concept of nothingness, or non-existence, because what would nothing be? The ideas of there ever being no time, atoms, or space is unfathomable and it is easier for people to process and accept that existence always existed. We cannot really question why the universe exists because again, there is no single answer, and a question like that must lead to the asking of several other questions like, why shouldn't the universe exist? Or what should/could have existed in place of the universe? Just thinking of an answer would lead to a several never-ending cycle of questions. Now as for why this universe exists, I think that it is all probability and that our universe is the way it is by chance. Yes, our universe could have appeared differently, but there is no reason as to why it is the way it is now. If one were to pick a coloured ball out of a bag without looking, and took out a green one, you cannot question why it was picked because it happened randomly and it just so happened that it was that particular ball that was picked out. It happened by random chance which is how I see our universe, a random manifestation of space, time, and matter that formed itself the way it is now out of chance. The question should not be why is this universe the way it is, but rather what were the chances that our universe turned out this way? Overall, the question of why the universe exists has no definite answer since we cannot comprehend its existence as it is beyond human understanding and intellect.

- C.S. Philosophy student at MMCSS D1P1
dalehileman

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 01:26 am
@solisc,
Well Sol there are in fact answers , however insufficient given certain limitations at present, especially given our tendency to dualism

Quote:
But why is there a universe at all and why does this one exist?
Intuition says it will eventually be shown that the idea of nothingness entails contradiction and paradox. In other words, there just has to be a Universe, while recent discoveries regarding the interdependence of the constants suggests very strongly that it has to be the way it is because it can't be any other way

Quote:
Any response to this question would be entirely subjective
I'd say instead, intuitive. The Intuition is devalued

Quote:
...or non-existence, because what would nothing be?
Really a good q Sol. Nothingness can be posited but impossible to conceive

Quote:
...easier for people to process and accept that existence always existed
Easier for you and me anyhow. Indeed, the notion of its having always existed in one form or another obviates all the C and P entailed by "creation "

Quote:
, but there is no reason as to why it is the way it is now
Disagree Sol, as indicated above
0 Replies

ChaBloodclot

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 08:03 am
@TuringEquivalent,
The thryh
0 Replies

ChaBloodclot

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 08:22 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Why not? The universe exists because it just does, and no matter what we say it won't change the fact that it is here and so are we. This question is ill conceived, we shouldn't worry about why the universe exists we should sit back and enjoy the time we have with it. Even if we had an answer we still wouldn't be satisfied.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 09:18 am
Here's a typical atom-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/atom-classic_zpsc236b502.jpg~original

It's existence can be explained by one of five speculations-
1- It has always existed
2- It was created by an intelligence (Aliens or 'God')
3- It spontaneously blinked into existence under some unknown natural process of physics.
4- It's a life form that had the intelligence to create itself
5- It's just an illusion and doesn't exist at all

Are there any more I may have missed out?
Which is the most likely explanation?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 10:05 am
The Universe exists to supply a support system to the Quinneys.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 11:52 am
The universe exists to provide enough space for my neighbor to take all of the available parking spaces. Evil or Very Mad
blueveinedthrobber

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 11:56 am
Because I will it to.
0 Replies

informateur

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:24 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The universe exists to provide enough space for my neighbor to take all of the available parking spaces.
0 Replies