Why does the Universe exist?

neologist

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 12:41 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I’ll have to agree there appears to be a certain Unity while its organization does suggest some sort of “Plan"
Perhaps 'purpose' is a better word.
dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 12:47 pm
@neologist,
Yea Neo in this context they're practically synonyms
cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
Me,
Quote:
The sex organs of most life forms are the same; it has a male and female counterpart.

You,
Quote:
Yes I've noticed that. But how does it figure into our chat.

It reinforces for me the idea of nature at work.
neologist

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I’ll have to agree there appears to be a certain Unity while its organization does suggest some sort of “Plan"
I wrote:
Perhaps 'purpose' is a better word.
dalehileman wrote:
Yea Neo in this context they're practically synonyms
Plans are subject to defeat. 'Purpose' implies ongoing effort.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It reinforces for me the idea of nature at work.
Well Cis I certainly can't deny that
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Does this nature have a purpose . ..
Or a predetermined destination . . .
Question
cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:18 pm
@neologist,
We've been through this before. Just read the earlier posts on this thread.
dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:35 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Does this nature have a purpose . ..
I guess you're asking Cis

Quote:
Or a predetermined destination . . .
You'd have to elaborate on that Neo as it doesn't make sense to me at 82 with incipient Alz's. It seems like you're asking about predetermination
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just wanted your opinion, CI.
cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@neologist,
"Nature" doesn't have a purpose except survival through evolution. Humans can have purpose, but that's based on one's genes and environment.
0 Replies

Logicus

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
The Universe is here, at least in my opinion, is for some reason that is unknown to us at this current moment. We may learn later on, assuming we aren't extinct by then, why our Universe is created, but, from a practical stance, does it really matter? Even if you know why it exists, what good does it do you now? (know that I do not agree with my own statement here, I believe in learning for its own sake).
cicerone imposter

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:44 pm
@Logicus,
It's called "evolution." That's how the universe exists.
Logicus

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's how. Not why.
blueveinedthrobber

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:11 pm
Why Not?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:15 pm
@Logicus,
The question of "why" is a meaningless inquiry, since it does exist.
Logicus

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is philosophy, sir. Why is the most important question in it. Even science wants to know why. Every skilled philosopher and scientist will tell you why is always an important question.
cicerone imposter

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:47 pm
@Logicus,
In some scientific inquiry, just knowing how is enough to satisfy most people.

Scientists understand that evolution is in play in most natural phenomenon that we can "observe."

There are things about our environment that will never be answered as to "why."

For those seeking the why's of our universe, they would need to have the abilities to measure beyond the existence of earth's 4.55 billion years. Nothing begats nothing except guesses and more guesses.

How far did you want to go with the "why?"

Scientists have already concluded (from evidence they found) that we are decended from the ape family.
Logicus

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is a statement you made that deeply concerns me. "In some scientific inquiry, just knowing how is enough to satisfy most people." Satisfy? Those aren't real scientists. Real scientists want too learn for the sake of learning. Contemporary science is becoming too focused on the short-termed views of science. How is never enough if you don't know why.
cicerone imposter

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:54 pm
@Logicus,
There are limits to what humans can investigate concerning our universe - as I've explained it.

Challenge what I said about the limits of science - if you can. I've not said anything about limitations to scientific inquiry that can be observed.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How far did you want to go with the "why?"
Hope not repeating self Cis but recent discoveries showing the physical constants might depend upon one another strongly suggests it eventually will be shown that things are the way they are because they can't be any other way. The alternative, a state of nothingness, for instance, will be shown as impossible, contradictory, parxadoxical: There's matter and a Universe because there has to be
0 Replies