Why does the Universe exist?

Krumple

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:33 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Our limitations Krump do interfere in our speculations

It's more than just our limitations it is our focus. We don't seem to care about the things that seem insignificant. Just like when you go on a nature hike and you come to some insignificant little pond and you look down into it and see a frog just floating on the surface hanging out. This frog will probably live a life of just a few years and maybe later this very same pond will be bulldozed for a parking lot for some mountain lodge hotel.

Krumple wrote:
.....all the matter.......less than 0.01% of the universe.....just left over residue......The universe IS nothingness.

dalehileman wrote:
Disagree most emphatically. What you call nothingness is space, very real

Yeah but space doesn't do anything. It surely can't support life directly, well not as far as our current understanding of it. So it might as well be nothingness. It doesn't matter if it has energy to it or that it can sustain matter-energy transfers. It is meaningless if there is no matter to fill it. You know and that is okay.

Krumple wrote:
The reason we focus so much on matter is because it is what we are made of and we think ourselves important.......matter doesn't really matter.....

dalehileman wrote:

Of course the typical humanoid considers himself unique and important. However there’s an intuitive suggestion that he could be right: Without him the Entire Megillah seems a silly random, meaningless interaction of particles and waves destined to conclude in hopeless cold disarray

That is fine with me. The universe existed 14 billion years before I became aware of it and after I die it will probably exist for another 14 billion without me even knowing it did. I am fine with that. It seems pointless but why should my ego be necessary for the universe to have value? That seems arrogant to me.

dalehileman wrote:

While everything that we imagine might have been created in some other way seems to inspire the notion—forgive me if I seem repetitious--that the Whole Panoply was “adjusted,” in some cases within a fraction of one percent, specifically to permit our evolvement

I object to the word "adjusted" because it suggests that it was necessary to make sure "this" was the result. I say nonsense. This might always be the result, but we don't know because we have nothing to compare it with. If the laws of physics weren't how they are then yes the universe might be drastically different or not even exist at all, so what? I don't need to exist to give the universe a meaning or to accomplish "it's" goal.
imans

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:43 am
@dalehileman,
i clearly wasnt responding to u, which show the liar u r so how any never mention noticing urself, keep forcing sounds as ur way to take advantage of ur nonexistence, soon a bigger sound will force ur endless attempts to reach ur true end
an about that jesus u r expecting him to inform u about my writings in truth, he is dead in hell forever so go join him there to get informed about my words shitty

0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:00 am
@Krumple,
dalehileman wrote:
Our limitations Krump do interfere in our speculations

Quote:
It's more than just our limitations it is our focus. We don't seem to care about the things that seem insignificant....... maybe later this very same pond will be bulldozed for a parking lot for some mountain lodge hotel.
I have to agree that the Hoi Polloi (me) often don't appreciate the Universe

Krumple wrote:
Quote:
.....The universe IS nothingness.

dalehileman wrote:
........What you call nothingness is space, very real

Quote:
Yeah but space doesn't do anything........So it might as well be nothingness.
It plays just as important part in our evolution as the speed of light or the/Fine-structure constant

Quote:
It is meaningless if there is no matter to fill it......
Quite so, esp humanoid matter

Krumple wrote:
Quote:
The reason we focus so much on matter......and we think ourselves important.......matter doesn't really matter.....
To judge this assertion as controversial would be the understatement of the century. Billions of others consider us the most important product of the Entire Megillah

dalehileman wrote:

......Without him the Entire Megillah seems a silly random, meaningless interaction of particles and waves......

Quote:
That is fine with me.
Thank you Krump, a bit of encouragement is welcome in this cognitive recrudescence of dysphoric persiflage

Quote:
..... it will probably exist for another 14 billion without me even knowing it did.
You, yes. Oh but “it” (She) knows, replies the apodictical existential pantheist. She’s thinking about us all the time

Quote:
.....why should my ego be necessary for the universe to have value?
Not your ego but your very existence

dalehileman wrote:

.....--that the Whole Panoply was “adjusted,” in some cases within a fraction of one percent......

Quote:
I object to the word "adjusted" because it suggests that it was necessary to make sure "this" was the result. I say nonsense.
Okay Krump you have my permission

Quote:
This might always be the result, but we don't know because we have nothing to compare it with.
Oh but we do, it’s called “nothingness"

Quote:
If the laws of physics weren't how they are then yes the universe might be drastically different or not even exist at all, so what?
So we get to chat

Quote:
I don't need to exist to give the universe a meaning or to accomplish "it's" goal.
Not you specifically but us. That doesn’t mean however that my view is necessarklhy superior to yours. You might be right that the Entire Gozatta is a dreary, meaningless, exercise of particles and waves....etc
0 Replies

Cyclops

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:29 pm
There is a solution to the question. At least in the form of a philosophical argument. However, the moderators of this forum are paranoid. Any links to other sites are strictly prohibited, even if they are links to philosophy sites. So I'm not allowed even to give you my answer to your question though it constitutes a serious answer to your question. Thank goodness there are philosophy journals for people interested in philosophy to contribute to. I've had the premise to my answer to your question published in "The Review of Metaphysics." It appeared in their March 2013 edition, under the title "Beyond Kant and Hegel."

Perhaps the moderators might lash out at me for so unabashedly making so much as mention that I have had a paper published in a journal of philosophy. Perhaps it smacks of an underhanded attempt at advertising.

Try doing a search for causal arguments on the internet, or causal argument for the existence of a supreme being. You might find my response to the question there.

Otherwise, I can't bother with this forum. It's much too restrictive, and unnecessarily so.
Cyracuz

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 06:18 pm
@Cyclops,
Googled "causal argument for the existence of a supreme being".

Approximately 1 620 000 hits (0,38 seconds)

Which one's yours?

Mwoahaha Twisted Evil
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Sun 30 Jun, 2013 08:44 pm
@Cyclops,
Why didn't you take more time to elaborate on your answer, instead of that babble?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:48 am
@Cyclops,
Quote:
I've had the premise to my answer to your question published in "The Review of Metaphysics." It appeared in their March 2013 edition, under the title "Beyond Kant and Hegel."

Are you Ray Liikanen?
JLNobody

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
I can't imagine why I would ask the question of WHY the universe exists. I wouldn't know where to begin if not in some fantasy--as virtually all societies have done, with some kind of origin myths.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
I can't imagine why I would ask the question of WHY the universe exists. I wouldn't know where to begin if not in some fantasy--as virtually all societies have done, with some kind of origin myths.
cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:24 pm
@JLNobody,
I don't think we need to fantasize too much about why the universe exists.

We know that the universe expands, and that life requires certain conditions for it to live.

For now, we need only concern ourselves with what science has been able to find.

This earth is about 4.5 billion years old.
Life has existed on earth about 3.5 billion years.
Great apes lived on earth about 7 million years.
Homo erectus traveled around this planet for about 2.5 million years.
Humans have live on earth as a guestimate from 50,000 years to 2 million years.

At least, this is how I see it. Mr. Green 2 Cents 2 Cents

JLNobody

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But while these facts might be helpful in discussing HOW the universe came about it says nothing about WHY it did--especially if one's concern is with matters of purpose.
Lustig Andrei

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:57 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

But while these facts might be helpful in discussing HOW the universe came about it says nothing about WHY it did--especially if one's concern is with matters of purpose.

That assumes, of course, that there is some purpose. Smile

(I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, btw, just pointing out that we're entering deeper waters here/)
dalehileman

Mon 15 Jul, 2013 09:57 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
says nothing about WHY it did

Well JL, according to the apodictical existential pantheist no reason is needed. The Universe is as it is because it has to be this way: Recent studies showing a dependence between physical constants strongly suggest they are all interdependent, that a change in one would make the rest impossible. As for "creation," none such is required since in one form or another She has always existed and will continue to do so forever

One is then asked, "But why does there have to be a Universe, or for that matter anything at all," when we reply that eventually it will be confirmed that the idea of nothingness is contradictory, that it's an impossible state
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 15 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually, Lustig, I misexpressed myself. I have no teleological images of the universe, I see no purposes, and no Grand Planner with celestial purposes. As Dale put it, all is as it is of necessity and I have little knowledge of what those necessary--scientifically described--connections might be. But I do feel confidently that what happens does so without intention.
cicerone imposter

Mon 15 Jul, 2013 01:48 pm
@JLNobody,
Why does it matter "WHY it did?"
Basically, human biology/sexuality produced you. What you make of life beyond the constraints that are basically established through your genes and environment, all life forms are the product of evolutionary changes.

At least from my perspective and observations, humans have more options than other life forms on this planet.

JLNobody

Mon 15 Jul, 2013 03:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Agreed
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:03 am
@Cyclops,
Quote:
Any links to other sites are strictly prohibited, even if they are links to philosophy sites.
Cyc I don't believe that's true. They might delete the apparent Bot but not a link to something else of pertinence

Quote:
Otherwise, I can't bother with this forum. It's much too restrictive, and unnecessarily so.
After 17 years participating in many such sites, I disagree most wholeheartedly, find a2k incredibly liberal
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:15 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
…... I see no purposes, and no Grand Planner with celestial purposes. As Dale put it, all is as it is of necessity
However JL, as an apodictical existential pantheist I maintain a strong intuitional feeling that there's more to It than immediately apparent, not supernatural but of an abstract nature encompassing necessity, better explaining it all, and our apparently special place in Her kingdom. Whether the typical skeptic will call Her "God" however, is up to him.

Quote:
and I have little knowledge of what those necessary--scientifically described--connections might be…...
Nor I. Convinced from the instant of the Big Bang the Entire Production is the example of Universal Evolution, I find it especially puzzling that the physical constants as well as many other phenomena seem to have been "adjusted", in some cases to a fraction of one percent, so as to permit mankind's
cicerone imposter

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:57 am
@dalehileman,
I don't view it the same way you do, because I credit "nature" for life on this planet.

The perpetuation of life on this planet is based on "sex." The sex organs of most life forms are the same; it has a male and female counterpart.
dalehileman

Tue 16 Jul, 2013 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
….. I credit "nature" for life on this planet.
Of course Cis I well understand. However I consider "nature" Her Purview just as you do but neither of supernatural kind since (obviously, at least to me) She can only do what's possible. Hence earthquakes, disease, and eventual burnout of the sun

Quote:
The perpetuation of life on this planet is based on "sex."
Not to mention evolution

Quote:
The sex organs of most life forms are the same; it has a male and female counterpart.
Yes I've noticed that. But how does it figure into our chat