If you are Christian raise your hand

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:41 am
Very limited information (insert jokes here) on this story but I do know the gist.

Piolet flying from L.A. to New York, four hour flight, asked everyone on the plane if they are a Christian raise their hand. And when they did he said to look at everyone else who did not raise their hand and said that they were crazy.

They had to fly on that plane nervous that he would do something and four hours is a long time to be on the edge of your seat.

The thing is I don't think I would have been one of the ones rasing my hand, and I am not denying I am crazy, but to have the piolet say that would be disturbing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,783 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:44 am
OMFG! You're kidding! What does being non-christian have to do with being crazy?

That's just ridiculous. I'd have been on the phone to the airline right after getting of the plane giving them a piece of my mind. That's just uncalled for.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:18 am
Did this actually happen?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:42 am
That pilot should never be allowed to have people's lives in his hands ever again.

PS. Can anyone tell me if the apostrophe in that sentence is correct?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:50 am
I would say you have it correct Wilso! Smile

Call me a cynic, but this story sounds fabricated to me! Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:16 am
After phoenix's tale about the religious doctors, I'm ready to believe just about anything.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:21 am
I'd like to see a link on this myself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:24 am
I think that a link to this story would be in order!

If it were told to you, who told you the story? Which airline? If it happened to the person who told it to you, he really should have had that person reported.

If the sketchy information is all you have, it might have been wiser to keep it to yourself. In the recent religious and political climate, stories like this whirling around on the internet, could cause problems for innocent people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:36 am
I agree!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:41 am
me too

wilso: i believe it should be 'peoples' "
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:42 am
Found it. Ah, the power of google.

Quote:
Pilot's sermon fails to take off
Julian Borger in Washington
Tuesday February 10, 2004
The Guardian

American air travellers have become accustomed, in recent years, to taking off their shoes and spreadeagling themselves for security checks, but they have drawn the line at being asked to reveal their religion by a pilot apparently on a mission from God.
The passengers on an American Airlines flight from Los Angeles to New York on Friday expected to hear the usual banter about the weather and cruising altitudes when the pilot introduced himself on the public address system.

Instead, he spread anxiety by challenging Christians to put up their hands and urging them to discuss their faith with the other non-believers on the flight.

Karla Austin, one of the passengers, told CNN: "He said if you're Christian, raise your hand. If you're not, you're crazy."

Tim Wagner, an American Airlines spokesman, said yesterday the pilot had not meant to imply that non-Christians were crazy but was referring to "the people who had stuck up their hands at the risk of embarrassing themselves".

Very few, if any, of the passengers did raise their hands, and most looked at each other in alarm, fearing they were being flown to New York by a religious fanatic. The flight crew were bombarded with questions about what was going on and later, the pilot spoke again. Jen Dorsey, another passenger, said that he apologised for putting the flight crew under pressure because of his comments.

Mr Wagner said: "American Airlines policy and our guidelines are to make everyone feel comfortable, and we realise we live in a very diverse world. American does apologise to anyone who was made to feel uncomfortable."

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:52 am
If I were the head of American Airlines, I would fire the pilot. His remarks were so out of line, as to be abusive. At the least, I would have him suspended, without pay, so he could have some time to contemplate the impropriety of his actions.

Stuff like this makes my blood boil!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:02 am
onyxelle wrote:
me too

wilso: i believe it should be 'peoples' "

I thought that was only the case if the 's' was a normal part of the word. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not sure.

Whoever invented this language anyway?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:18 am
I *think* it's possesive plural, so it goes s' not 's. But I was never very good at english. . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If I were the head of American Airlines, I would fire the pilot. His remarks were so out of line, as to be abusive. At the least, I would have him suspended, without pay, so he could have some time to contemplate the impropriety of his actions.

Stuff like this makes my blood boil!

No doubt. There is no excuse for that crap.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:21 am
Here's another article on this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/09/airline.christianity/index.html
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:56 am
The guy should be fired -- not reprimanded or suspended, but fired.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:00 am
According to what I have read, American Airlines believes that this an internal matter, and will not disclose what sanctions, if any, that they will take against the pilot. I think that what this man did is very serious, for two reasons. One is that he scared the hell out of the passengers. The other is that what he did was extremely inappropriate, and highly unprofessional. He does not deserve to be in a position where passengers' lives are in his care.

I was really considering writing a very nasty E Mail to American Airlines.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:49 am
Frank got it right. The pilot should be fired and in addition his license to fly commercial aircraft revoked.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:01 am
"What Findiesen said, as best the stunned passengers could recall once they were able to move about the cabin and confer after Flight 34 took off, was this: "I just got back from a mission," Findiesen said after making a routine announcement about the plane being second in line for takeoff. "You know, they say about half of Americans are Christians. I'd just like the Christians on board to raise their hands."
"I want everyone else on board to look around at how crazy these people are," the pilot continued, with an intonation suggesting he was using the word "crazy" in a positive, even admiring manner. Evidently addressing the non-Christian passengers, he concluded that they could "make good use of [the flight], or you can read your paper and watch the movie."
Asked whether it was part of his job as an American Airlines pilot, trusted with the safety of hundreds of passengers, to witness about his faith from the cockpit, he said it was not. But, he asserted, "there's actually no regulation against doing what I did." He also reminded Steele that the plane was not moving at the time of his original announcement.
0 Replies