Please correct (1) and (2)

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:35 pm
(1) By the end of October, 1886, the statue was set up again; and Bartholdi. as representative, officially presented it to the American people

(2) By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi.

PS the dread presence of the headmaster.

Does the presence mean "appearance" here? Or should it mean "occurrence"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 754 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Individual

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:53 pm
1)By the end of October 1886, the statue was set up again; and Bartholdi, as representative, officially presented it to the American people.

2)By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi.

I'm not so sure about the semicolon in the first sentence.

Presence means that he was there. It is a different form of present.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:52 am
(1) By the end of October, 1886, the statue was set up again; and Bartholdi. as representative, officially presented it to the American people

(2) By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi.

(1) By the end of October 1886, the statue was set up again; Bartholdi. as representative, officially presented it to the American people.

(2) By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again, and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi.

What Individual said is right. The presence means the headmaster is there.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:14 am
I would make it two sentences myself.

By the end of October, 1886, the statue was set up again. Bartholdi, as representative, officially presented it to the American people.

By the end of October, 1886, the statue had been up together again. It was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi.

I like the second one, myself. I'm kinda sensitive to compond sentances. . .I tend to do that a lot.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
Hi Individual and Roberta,

I don't understand why did you both delete the comma, because I have been reading New York Times, the usage of the comma seems highly appreciated by NYT, for example:

Trying to Quell Issue, White House Releases Guard Documents
By DAVID STOUT
Published: February 10, 2004

Hi Turner,

I didnt get why your rewriting "up together" instead of "put together" can work.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:55 pm
Oristar, I would suggest that you never learn to write from newspaper headlines. They are somewhat grammatically correct but really aren't useful.

And I think that Turner just made a little mistake.

If you really want to learn to use punctuation, you should buy a book called Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about writing in english.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:36 pm
Oristar, The difference between June 1, 2004, and June 2004 is the day. When a month and year are provided with no day, the comma is not necessary. When a month, day, and year are provided, the comma is included after the day--and after the year if more of the sentence follows it.

On January 10, 2004, I went to the market.

In January 2004, I went to the market three times.

Let me guess, Oristar. You're now going to ask why one sentence starts with "in" and the other with "on."

In the first instance, you're talking about something ON a particular day.

In the second, you're talking about something that took place IN a month.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:13 pm
Basically, Oristar. You put the commas between two numbers.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:24 pm
WOW, Roberta, You've hit it! I did want to know the usage of "on" and "in".Very Happy

And I also congrats that my guess about the usage of the comma has hit it too. What you have described about it is as the same as what I thought in my mind. I just wanted to be reconfirmed.

Individual, Thanks for recommending the book. I'd hit it.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
Yeah. . . it was a typo.
0 Replies