Search Resumes for Missing Schoolboy Etan Patz After 33 Years

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:05 am
Quote:
Dozens of NYPD officers FBI agents began scouring the basement of a Soho building Thursday, hoping to find evidence linked to the infamous 1979 disappearance of schoolboy Etan Patz.

Law enforcement officials removed shelving and mapped the area of an unused space in the basement of a building just blocks from where Etan lived with his parents. Authorities will continue to search for evidence for the next three to five days, an FBI spokesman said.

“We’re looking for any evidence of human remains, clothing or other personal effects related to Etan in hopes of discovering what happened to him,” police spokesman Paul Browne said.

The Associated Press reports that an investigator close to the case says the basement used to be the workplace of a carpenter known to be friendly with Eton, and FBI dogs had sniffed human remains at the site weeks ago.

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2012/apr/19/search-resumes-etan-patz-after-33-years/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
It seems odd to me that I recognized that name and recalled the situation instantly even though I was really just a kid when this happened.

I always wonder what it must be like for family when cases are reopened after so long -- whether it would be worse knowing, or not knowing, if the truth is worse than all those "maybes".

So sad.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:29 am
@boomerang,
According what I heard this morning, the case was never closed and that there always was an FBI agent and a NYPD detective assigned to the case though I can only believe the actual investigation was actively followed all through these past several decades.

Also, it seems the family of the missing school child never moved from their apartment and in fact never changed their phone number since the disappearance.

If they do find the body or evidence of the crime, then the case will come to an active murder case and the family will have a long time before closure comes about. Either way if the body is found or not, this reminder for the family will be a difficult thing. Quite sad indeed.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:32 am
@tsarstepan,
but they can take some comfort that his disappearance was never forgotten or the case shuffled off to some dusty file in a box
0 Replies