Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:10 am
If a real cop had been involved, there would have been no shooting.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:19 am
@Setanta,
O, Yeah! The NYPD are always very magnanimous
about having their heads beaten upon the sidewalks of NY!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:21 am

Thay say:
"Do that to me 1 more time.
Once is never enuf, with a guy like u!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You're rather slow on the uptake--which is no surprise. Had it been a police officer, not only is there no good reason to assume that Martin would have attempted to assault him, there is every reason to assume that he would not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:30 am
@Setanta,
OK, thanx for letting me know what it is good to ASSUME.
I sure don t wanna go around without assuming.

I guess sometimes u can recognize cops when u see them.
It might depend on how thay dress.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Generally, the best way to identify a police office is the cruiser and the uniform. While you ponder that, consider that, apparently, Zimmerman not only did not identify himself, he pulled a gun, giving Martin good reason to fear for his life. There may be a few idiots, but these are not behaviors one would reasonably expect from a police officer, even one in plain clothes. I'm bemused to see that you think this would have been a situation to which a plain clothes officer would have responded.

While we're on the subjects of assumptions, you seem to assume that Zimmerman was entirely innocent, and took no questionable actions, even though he continued to follow Martin, even after being avised not to do so by the 911 operator.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If a real cop had been involved, there would have been no shooting.

Likely true, but my point is that we dont know how the allegation that George is an aspiring cop will play with the jury. He might get a lot of credit for wanting to keep us safe....the jury might want to judge him by cop rules. We often read in "journalism" and liberal commentary accounts of his profession desires and of his history of contact with the police phrasing which is clearly intended to be a put down of George, but there is no evidence that real people commonly feel that this makes him a bad person at all. I think that many people probably consider wanting to be a cop and taking an active role in neighborhood watch is something to be commended. We can think that carrying a gun and pursing was a mistake in this case without coming to the conclusion that a crime was committed. Judging from the chart I put up it appears that about half of Americans dont think that George committed any crime. In light of that putting George up on a murder charge has a high probability of turning bad for the state, as the citizens come to the conclusion that the state has buckled to emotion and vastly over reached on what the law allows.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Your "points" are a matter of indifference to me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Another thing...the state continually goes to the "SAFETY!" well as it grabs for power, this is a manipulative technique that works very well most of the time. In this case the state is employing the "SAFETY!" argument claiming that young black men must be safe to walk the streets unmolested. There is however a high likelihood that 12 citizens are going to be more predisposed to using the "SAFETY!" argument to justify confronting young black men who look like hoodlums. This case does not happen in a vacuum, there is a very good reason why extremely high numbers of young black men currently have as their address a prison, and any 12 citizens are going to consider this point as they ponder the states claims.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your "points" are a matter of indifference to me.

Both prejudice and closed-mindedness ARE epidemic.....
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
You never fail to cast yourself in an heroic mold . . . what a sad little creature you are.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You never fail to cast yourself in an heroic mold . . . what a sad little creature you are.

You fail to comprehend, I said nothing about me, I only said that you are defective.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, i'm sure you don't understand. Being unwilling to waste my time on your tedious and ill-considered rants doesn't make me close-minded, just sensible. You have nothing new to say; it was bullshit the first time you trotted your phony libertarianism, and it's still bullshit. Which is why i don't waste my time on you. I'd never have commented about how a real cop being there would have changed things had it not been the opening of that post.

Prejudiced? In respect to your screeds, certainly. That so many people here have come to the same conclusion isn't evidence of an "epidemic," just that we've all been there, done that . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Generally, the best way to identify a police office is the cruiser and the uniform.
While you ponder that, consider that, apparently, Zimmerman not only did not identify himself,
That might be true; I dunno.

Setanta wrote:
he pulled a gun, giving Martin good reason to fear for his life.
If I read u accurately,
u r suggesting that Mr. Z pulled his gun before
Martin began beating his head against the sidewalk.

Setanta wrote:
There may be a few idiots, but these are not behaviors one would reasonably expect from a police officer, even one in plain clothes.
I'm bemused to see that you think this would have been a situation to which a plain clothes officer would have responded.
U never know. There coud have been 7 of them living in there.
If any of them were curious about a stranger in the area,
he 'd not likely be too shy nor timid about expressing his interest.
The police dept. ( NYPD ) grooms its personnel to be aggressive.
I 've known cases of them being DEMOTED for failure to be aggressive enuf.
( There was subsequent litigation. )

Setanta wrote:
While we're on the subjects of assumptions, you seem to assume that Zimmerman was entirely innocent,
Yes.

Setanta wrote:
and took no questionable actions, even though he continued to follow Martin,
even after being avised not to do so by the 911 operator.
I 'm not at all sure that that is significant.
If I get a job as a dispatcher for 911,
will u let me order YOU around, up hill and down dale??

Even with regard to sworn police personnel, are THAY under the command
of the 911 dispatcher?? I, for one, have no information
that subservience is required by any law, in this regard.
It is not his commanding officer, on the other end of the fone.

Admittedly, I have not researched the law of Florida,
but I imagine that a citizen is within his rights of free speech
to address his nabors, or people walking thru his naborhood,
until he is served with a judicial injunction against so doing.
I remain skeptical that the telefone dispatchers have such extensive authority
to decide to whom Mr. Z can speak.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You don't know that Martin assaulted Zimmerman before he showed his gun, and it appears that he did not, based on this call to his girlfriend. As for the 911 dispatcher, i said that the 911 dispatcher advised him not to follow. It is typical of you that you attempt to twist what i've written by talking about being "ordered." If, dog forbid, you get a job as a 911 dispatcher, i hope you are given reasonable training before they turn you loose on an unsuspecting public.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You don't know that Martin assaulted Zimmerman before he showed his gun,
OK. I don 't.
I just take Zimmy 's word for it. It seems more plausible
that Martin repeatedly bashed his head against the cement BEFORE
Zimmy shot him, than afterward.

Setanta wrote:
and it appears that he did not, based on this call to his girlfriend.
Correct me if I'm rong,
but was that call ended BEFORE the fireworks started ??
or was he talking and fighting simultaneously ??

Setanta wrote:
As for the 911 dispatcher, i said that the 911 dispatcher advised him not to follow.
It is typical of you that you attempt to twist what i've written by talking about being "ordered."
Well, I inferred that u implied
that Zimmy's failure to take that advice 'd be illegal, immoral or fattening.

David

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What's this Zimmy bullshit, is he your new asshole buddy? It is obvious to me that you've decided he's innocent, and that you made that decision because he shot someone, and for no better reason. You're awfully transparent in these matters.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
What's this Zimmy bullshit, is he your new asshole buddy?
I 'm too lazy to write out his name.

Setanta wrote:
It is obvious to me that you've decided he's innocent,
It is obvious to me that u r right.

Setanta wrote:
and that you made that decision because he shot someone, and for no better reason.
I am promoting good self defense law.
If a citizen is violently attacked, that is bad enuf.
Government shud not make it WORSE by putting the victim thru more hell.

People shud not be intimidated by government out of swift use
of their rights of self defense; "he who hesitates is lost."
The victim shud be safe, IMMUNE
from criminal or from civil litigation qua his defense of self and property.

Setanta wrote:
You're awfully transparent in these matters.
Thank u. That 's nice of u to say. I do my best.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How do you know that Zimmerman was violently attacked, before he showed his gun, and gave Martin cause to fear for his life? Here, don't bother, i can answer that--you don't know that. You don't know that Martin "repeatedly bashed his head against the cement." Based on my experience in the Army Medical Corps, that was a superficial injury which could have been sustained simply by falling. Certainly it is not consistent with having one's head repeatedly bashed on cement.

You ignore Zimmerman's questionable behavior in following and confronting Martin, and you have decided that Zimmerman is the victim here, despite the very nature of the situation making him an unreliable witness. I don't know if his version of events is reliable or not, and neither do you. What we both know, whether or not your obsession allows you to admit it, is that in this situation, Zimmerman's testimony is justifiably suspect.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Government shud not make it WORSE by putting the victim thru more hell.

What a hypocrite you are, Om. You made a career out of gaming a system that does just that simply to fill your own pockets.
0 Replies