Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Some people have color blindness.

Orally has fact blindness.

Says the clown who can't show any facts that I have wrong (and who is proud to be ignorant about whatever he tries to talk about).
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:11 pm
@oralloy,
Hand waver.
firefly

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:44 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Orally has fact blindness.

That's because he also makes up his own definition of "facts".

If he says something, it's "a fact". If anyone else says something, they are wrong. Laughing

2+2 never equals 4 for oralloy, because then he doesn't know what to do with the remaining finger on his counting hand.

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:36 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Hand waver.

Your failure to challenge any of my facts is.... well it's pretty pathetic.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:36 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
That's because he also makes up his own definition of "facts".

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own dishonesty.

firefly wrote:
2+2 never equals 4 for oralloy, because then he doesn't know what to do with the remaining finger on his counting hand.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own incompetence.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your failure to challenge any of my facts is.... well it's pretty pathetic.

Many people challenge your "facts"...but you just call them wrong or tell them they are liars.

Actually, doing what you are doing is pathetic.

Why not stop it...and actually argue the issues like an adult? I think most people here in the forum would welcome it and participate reasonably with you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:17 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

So what ironclad, written in stone, evidence is there that Zimmerman provoked the violence.

Not your opinion, nor your interpretation of the evidence, but ironclad, accepted by a jury, evidence.

As I stated earlier, it will be presented to the jury and they can decide if they accept it or not. Clearly the prosecutor feels it exists. Creating the situation that led to the violence was clearly partly the fault of Zimmerman. He brought the gun. He got out of his car to pursue a person. Whether that will lead to a conclusion of 2nd degree murder will depend on the actual jury.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:25 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

In the part where they made their second degree murder statute Depraved Heart Murder.

Oh, the part that doesn't actually exist in the Florida statute. OK... Sure... I guess it's the oralloy version of the law but not the actual Florida statute.

Here is the Florida statute.
Quote:
(2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
There is no requirement that there be intent to risk someone's life. There is only the requirement that the act be imminently dangerous. In fact one could drive a car at 150 miles an hour in a 30mph zone with no intent to risk anyone's life but you could be charged with 2nd degree murder if you kill a pedestrian.

So... will you admit you are wrong about requiring a concrete intention to risk anyone's life?
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:26 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

That hardly amounts to a concrete decision to gamble with someone's life. Gambling with someone's life would be shooting them just for the sake of shooting them.

You have already admitted that someone could be charged with 2nd degree murder even though the person that died pulled the trigger. Why do you now require that the person charged shoot them for the sake of shooting them. THere is no such thing on the statute.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If you ever feel like presenting that evidence, I will address it.

If you refuse to present it, I'll probably have to keep ignoring it though.

Boy.. you really are an idiot. In the previous post you addressed it. Now you claim I never presented anything.
Fact - I have presented possible evidence.
Fact - you claim no evidence is presented rather than admitting you just disagree with the evidence.
Fact - you are incapable of understanding the difference between no evidence and not agreeing with evidence.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:02 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Here is the Florida statute.
Quote:
(2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

There is no requirement that there be intent to risk someone's life. There is only the requirement that the act be imminently dangerous.

Don't forget the requirement for the "depraved mind".

But yes, focus on that "imminently dangerous" part, because that is the very point I was making.

The acts you are describing, like Zimmerman choosing to carry a gun, don't rise to the level of "imminently dangerous".

parados wrote:
In fact one could drive a car at 150 miles an hour in a 30mph zone with no intent to risk anyone's life but you could be charged with 2nd degree murder if you kill a pedestrian.

Yes.

parados wrote:
So... will you admit you are wrong about requiring a concrete intention to risk anyone's life?

No, because that is not an accurate representation of my position.

Note:
oralloy wrote:
No. It requires a concrete intention to risk someone's life, or intention to do something you know is clearly risking someone's life.

http://able2know.org/topic/188223-139#post-5221706

For what it's worth, thanks for knowing what you are talking about. Sometimes it's maddening arguing in pointless circles with you, but it's still a lot nicer than arguing with people who don't even understand the subject.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
...punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Boy...ya gotta hand heap praise on those Florida legislators for coming up with wording like that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:10 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That hardly amounts to a concrete decision to gamble with someone's life. Gambling with someone's life would be shooting them just for the sake of shooting them.

You have already admitted that someone could be charged with 2nd degree murder even though the person that died pulled the trigger. Why do you now require that the person charged shoot them for the sake of shooting them. THere is no such thing on the statute.

It isn't a requirement. It was one example of the sort of act that would rise to the level of imminent dangerousness.

I was trying to illustrate something that would be imminently dangerous, to contrast with Zimmerman's decision to merely carry a gun, which was not imminently dangerous.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:18 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Fact - you are incapable of understanding the difference between no evidence and not agreeing with evidence.

That's because, in most cases at least, there is no difference.

If evidence were in any way valid, it would be pretty unlikely that I'd be disagreeing with it.
firefly

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It was one example of the sort of act that would rise to the level of imminent dangerousness...

The imminently dangerous act committed by Zimmerman was pointing his gun at Martin's chest and shooting him at close range.

And, in Zimmerman's case, it was an intentional act.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:47 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The acts you are describing, like Zimmerman choosing to carry a gun, don't rise to the level of "imminently dangerous".

That's like arguing you can't charge someone that kills a pedestrian while driving 150 miles an hour with 2nd degree murder because getting into a car isn't imminently dangerous and putting the car in drive isn't imminently dangerous.
They are all facts that lead to the total picture.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:49 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It isn't a requirement. It was one example of the sort of act that would rise to the level of imminent dangerousness.

I was trying to illustrate something that would be imminently dangerous, to contrast with Zimmerman's decision to merely carry a gun, which was not imminently dangerous.

Zimmerman made choices that led to the final act. When someone dies you can hardly argue there was no danger.
Nor can you argue that no one would reasonably think his actions would lead to the dangerous situation. The fact that police and neighborhood watch tell you to never do what he did because it is dangerous shows an argument that he couldn't have reasonably known it was dangerous is without merit.
firefly

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

If evidence were in any way valid, it would be pretty unlikely that I'd be disagreeing with it.

But you keep asking, "Where is the evidence?" suggesting that you are unfamiliar with the evidence that the state has collected and publicly released.

If you are familiar with the evidence the state has released, which evidence do you feel is not valid, and why do you feel it is not valid?

firefly

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:52 am
@parados,
Quote:
They are all facts that lead to the total picture.

You are expecting oralloy to be able to connect the dots?
firefly

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:19 am
@parados,
Quote:
The fact that police and neighborhood watch tell you to never do what he did because it is dangerous shows an argument that he couldn't have reasonably known it was dangerous is without merit.

The police don't want neighborhood watch volunteers playing vigilantes, or trying to do their job for them--with good reason. And they don't want them carrying guns that could be used impulsively or inappropriately--or even be taken from them, and used against them, by a criminal. And Zimmerman certainly did know all of that.

All a neighborhood watch volunteer is supposed to do is report suspicious activity to the police and let them show up and evaluate it. There was nothing urgent in Zimmerman's call to the police--and he knew that because he called a non-emergency police number. All he saw was a black kid in a hoodie walking around, and not doing anything except walking around. He did not see a crime in progress. There was no logical reason for him not to just wait in his vehicle until the police showed up.

When Zimmerman decided not to sit in his vehicle and just wait for the police, as a neighborhood watch volunteer should do, is when he created a dangerous situation.

Zimmerman's a good example of why neighborhood watch volunteers shouldn't carry guns, or try to play cop. His duty as a neighborhood watch ended when he called the police. He should have controlled himself and waited for them to show up and do their job.