Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

firefly

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 01:38 pm
George Zimmerman Trial Date Set: Trayvon Martin Shooter's Trial Scheduled For June 10th, 2013.

The defense has said they will ask for a Stand Your Ground immunity hearing in April or May 2013.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 08:03 pm
@firefly,
I asked once before in this thread, I think, why it is that in the US justice system some cases are delayed so long from beginning. The answer I got was that the counsel for the state and the defendant needed the time to prepare. I maintain that the time is spent in far less laudable pursuits than preparing cases.

I think the behind-the-scenes, under-the-table activities likely include coersion, bribery and attempts to influence media. I have no hard evidence to support my suspicions. Let's just say that from what exposure I've had to the workings of our criminal courts, believing that they need a year and a half to prepare their cases just stretches credulity a bit much for me.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 08:08 pm
@snood,
Indeed. It just doesn't seem that complex
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:09 pm
@snood,
I think the delays are also due to our very crowded court calenders. We have a limited number of judges, and a limited number of available courtrooms, and that alone can result in lengthy delays prior to a trial date.

In addition, the trial schedules of the defense, prosecutor, and judge, must be coordinated because all of them are involved in other trials.

Then there are all the pre-trial hearings that take place, which further drag out the process.

And the defendant can, and often does, waive his/her right to a speedy trial, which gives the defense more time to prepare, challenge, and negotiate.

As they say, the wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:02 pm
@firefly,
Sure, when the system is staffed assuming that 90%+ of the citizens will not demand a trial someone refusing to plead tends to gum up the works. The state can not afford to push to set court dates on all those who refuse to be pushed, if they think they can wait and get a plea they have to do it, they don't have anough courtrooms or judges to do otherwise.
firefly

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
if they think they can wait and get a plea they have to do it, they don't have anough courtrooms or judges to do otherwise.

You're also overlooking the fact that all defendants are entitled to a trial, and to a speedy trial, if they so wish--and the state must comply.

It's generally the defense that wants the longer delays.
BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 08:30 am
@firefly,
Quote:
You're also overlooking the fact that all defendants are entitled to a trial, and to a speedy trial, if they so wish--and the state must comply.

First the speedy trial rule is 90 days or so and where can anyone get ready for a major case in that time frame. It would be rolling the dice to demand such a trial to say the least and is normally wavier for that reason. It does sound nice however.

Second, you are overlooking the fact that over 90 percents do not get a trial either at the federal or the states levels and that the prosecutors love to drag a case out with special note when a defendants can not make bail placing added pressure for a plead deal even if just a time serve plead deal for weak cases.

In this case, with bail it is likely that Zimmerman is benefiting from the delays considering the calls of no justice no peace and reward posters and so on of the people who love to drum up racial hates when ever possible right after the shooting. Letting that nonsense die down so a jury will not fear letting him go free and thereby setting off a good old fashion race riot seem a damn good idea.

Once more we have an image of a justice system that does not exist and it is more of a let make a plead deal system instead.

It is a damn shame that charges can be placed for political reasons with a special prosecutor appointed with the task of doing so no matter what the facts happen to be.

Love that a racial case can be brought against a brown skin person with a history of going out of his way to defend blacks and working with black churches in his area to do so.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 10:15 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
First the speedy trial rule is 90 days or so and where can anyone get ready for a major case in that time frame. It would be rolling the dice to demand such a trial to say the least and is normally wavier for that reason. It does sound nice however.

Second, you are overlooking the fact that over 90 percents do not get a trial either at the federal or the states levels and that the prosecutors love to drag a case out with special note when a defendants can not make bail placing added pressure for a plead deal even if just a time serve plead deal for weak cases.

In this case, with bail it is likely that Zimmerman is benefiting from the delays considering the calls of no justice no peace and reward posters and so on of the people who love to drum up racial hates when ever possible right after the shooting. Letting that nonsense die down so a jury will not fear letting him go free and thereby setting off a good old fashion race riot seem a damn good idea.

Once more we have an image of a justice system that does not exist and it is more of a let make a plead deal system instead.

It is a damn shame that charges can be placed for political reasons with a special prosecutor appointed with the task of doing so no matter what the facts happen to be.

Love that a racial case can be brought against a brown skin person with a history of going out of his way to defend blacks and working with black churches in his area to do so.

Bill, is that what writers mean when they use the word "spin?"
oralloy

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 10:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
BillRM wrote:

Looked to me more like a case of "speaking out against an unjust system".
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 10:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Spin is when the news kept showing pictures of Trayvon as a 14 years old not as must larger 17 years old or editing the 911 tape and playing the edit version to the world to make it look like Zimmerman was focus on race instead of answering a question from the 911 operator and claiming to hear a racist slur in the tape where none exist and so on.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:22 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Second, you are overlooking the fact that over 90 percents do not get a trial either at the federal or the states levels...

That's because the defendant chooses to accept the plea deal--along with agreeing to plead guilty, generally to a reduced charge--and forgoes the right to a trial.
Quote:

The justice system quite definitely does still exist--and it includes considerably more than just a trial. The defendant is afforded due process, and the protections of law, at every step of the process leading up to a trial or to the acceptance of a plea arrangment.

You're the one who overlooks the fact that, were it not for the plea deal, many, if not most, of these defendants would be convicted at trial, on more serious changes, and would receive much harsher punishments than those offered in the plea arrangement.

Plea arrangements are mutually beneficial to both the state and the defense, particularly in those cases where there is clear-cut evidence to convict.

Jared Loughner, who shot Rep. Giffords, along with killing 6 people, and wounding 14, just saved the taxpayers a lot of money with his guilty plea, and his plea arrangement spared him the possibility of the death penalty.
Quote:
First the speedy trial rule is 90 days or so and where can anyone get ready for a major case in that time frame.

Most criminal cases are not "major cases"--many trials can be as short as a day or two--it depends on how many witnesses are to be called, and how much evidence is to be presented.
Quote:

Yes, Zimmerman will benefit from letting all of the publicity, and emotion, fade somewhat prior to his trial, which is why his lawyer is in no hurry to go to trial.

Your fears of a "good old fashion race riot" seem to suggest you view blacks as a rather aggressive, irrational, uncivil, simmering cauldron of racial hatred, just set to explode and unleash disorder and destruction. That negative stereotype conforms to Zimmerman's perception of Trayvon Martin--he saw a black teen walking around his housing complex and immediately assumed this kid was a criminal type, up to no good, and a threat of some sort, just as you are viewing the black community as a threat in terms of race riots if Zimmerman is acquitted--both views stem from a biased perception of blacks as aggressive, lawless, menacing, and threatening.

The calls of "no justice, no peace," came from efforts to get Zimmerman arrested, so that this case could be appropriately scrutinized in the criminal justice system, because it appeared that the senseless killing of a unarmed black teen was being disregarded by law enforcement and had not received sufficient examination. The "no peace" referred, not to the threats of race riots, but to continued demonstrations--lawful demonstrations--to accomplish that aim. And these civil outcries did accomplish their goal--this case is now in the courts where it really belonged all along.

Whether people, people of all races, will accept the verdict in the Zimmerman case will depend greatly on the evidence presented by both the prosecution and the defense, including that provided at an immunity hearing. The public will be able to evaluate this evidence for themselves and draw their own conclusions irrespective of the final legal verdict. Some will be happy with the verdict, others will not, as is usually the case in any criminal matter, particularly one which has generated a good deal of controversy.

But I don't expect whites to go on race riots if Zimmerman is convicted any more than I expect blacks to riot if he is convicted. For one thing, this case is about considerably more than race--it's about whether the killing of a human being was legally justified under the circumstances, and that's going to be the legal focus, and I think most people understand that. For another thing, people in our society now have so many options and outlets for venting outrage, dissatisfaction, and disagreement, there is almost no need to resort to violence or destruction to get one's voice heard or one's concerns addressed following a verdict in a legal case--we've all come a long way in the last 50 years--and I think most negative reactions to the verdict, whatever it is, will be mainly verbal.

The gun toters, like yourself, are probably more emotionally invested in this case, and it's outcome, than racial groups are right now. Will that group riot if Zimmerman is convicted? Trayvon Martin's parents have already moved on and are now working to get the Stand Your Ground laws changed--and, if Zimmerman is acquitted, I imagine that's where other concerned citizens, of all racial groups, might focus their efforts, and dissatisfaction with such a verdict. Race riots, in this instance, seem to be a product of your fevered imagination. Wake up, it's 2012, people, particularly black people, know how to organize, lawfully and effectively, to achieve political aims. Our last election just proved that.
Quote:

Number one, this is not "a racial case"--Zimmerman is not charged with a bias crime. It is, more accurately, a case that tests the controversial Stand Your Ground laws in Florida. It will be adjudicated to determine whether a legally justifiable homicide took place.
Number two, Zimmerman is not a "brown skin person"--I believe that he identifies himself as being white.
Number three, Zimmerman's other activities or interactions with blacks, tell you nothing about his perceptions, or emotional state, or actions, just prior to this killing, which took place when he was allegedly wearing his "community watch" hat, a factor that might have considerably affected his actions and judgment.

oralloy

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:33 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Trayvon Martin's parents have already moved on and are now working to get the Stand Your Ground laws changed--and, if Zimmerman is acquitted, I imagine that's where other concerned citizens, of all racial groups, might focus their efforts, and dissatisfaction with such a verdict.

If the freedom haters want to take another run at overturning our Constitution, they might want to take note of the fact that the Supreme Court has begun to uphold our rights.

(Yes, I know the Democrats hope to pack the courts with judges who hate the Constitution. That's a great reason to vote for Republicans.)
BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:55 am
@firefly,
Quote:
That's because the defendant chooses to accept the plea deal--along with agreeing to plead guilty, generally to a reduced charge--and forgoes the right to a trial.

Firefly are you perhaps claiming that the system is not set to placed the maximum possible pressure on defendants to plead deal or that pressure is not the same on the guilty or the innocent?

That the pressure is so bad that people had not if fact confessed to crimes up to first degree murder that they happen to be completely innocent of?

Or are you claiming that if the pressure was not there that the so call criminal justice system would not collapse from the burden of trying more then a few percents of the people who are charge with crimes?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 12:10 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Your fears of a "good old fashion race riot" seem to suggest you view blacks as a rather aggressive, irrational, uncivil, simmering cauldron of racial hatred,

I had myself live in more the one community that had a good old race riot in my life and had smell the burning buildings and had hear the gun shots and so on.

So yes, we have a long long sad history of such riots in this country in the recent past and when so call civil rights leaders such as Sharpton working up a crowds with yelling no justice no peace it is a valid concern.

No racism or looking down on the black community as a whole needed to have such concerns.

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
great reason to vote for Republicans

There is no valid reason to vote Republican and take note it was a republican governor who appointed the special prosecutor who was assign the task of bringing charges against Zimmerman for the crime of self defense.
BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 12:29 pm
@firefly,
By the way in Florida Firefly the criminal justice system you are so very happy with had label 33 percents of all adults black males as felons and had taken their rights to vote away from them as a result.

Anyone who support such a system such as yourself that produce such god awful results are de facto a likely racist in my opinion.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 01:41 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I had myself live in more the one community that had a good old race riot in my life and had smell the burning buildings and had hear the gun shots and so on.

So yes, we have a long long sad history of such riots in this country in the recent past and when so call civil rights leaders such as Sharpton working up a crowds with yelling no justice no peace it is a valid concern.

Those race riots were a long, long, time ago, old man. And a lot has changed since then--including the complexion colors of mayors, governors, senators, congress members, and even of our President. Sharpton is now an effective organizer of entirely non-violent civil protests, and a regular commentator and spokesperson on MSNBC--he's very main-steam now.

It's the gun toters, and the NRA die-hards, who are more likely to riot if Zimmerman is convicted--they're the ones most emotionally worked up about this case. People like you, who believe, "We are all Zimmerman," are the most likely to riot if he winds up in the slammer.

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 02:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Those race riots were a long, long, time ago, old man. And a lot has changed since then--including the complexion colors of mayors, governors, senators, congress members, and even of our President. Sharpton is now an effective organizer of entirely non-violent civil protests, and a regular commentator and spokesperson on MSNBC--he's very main-steam now.

Yes it had change so must that 1/3 of black males are locked out of the voting booths in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case ,what you consider long long ago I do not as the early 1990s is not ancestry history!!!!!!!!

Yes Sharpton is non-violent just ask the families of the Jews in New Yorks that was killed due to violence/hate he help promoted as a fine example of his history of being non-violent to say nothing of just working up crowds with what as always had been the code words for we will riot if we do not get what we wish for.

Never seen such assholes as Sharpton getting rallies and pressure to allowed the right to vote to be restore to all those hundreds of thousands of black men who had been label felons in Florida or to have the criminal justice system treating blacks on a more equally with other groups for that matter.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 03:55 pm
@firefly,
In fact I never seen Sharpton and his like addressing that the leading cause of black young males deaths and that is not the police, white or brown racists but other blacks young men.

In fact unlike all other grouping in the US society the CDC had murder as the leading cause of young black males deaths and that is truly amazing given that murder is way down the list of causes of deaths for all other groups.

Hell Firefly blacks are on the short end of the stick in many ways and the wonderful so call justice system you love is not helping the matter in any way.

An one thing I do know is that the so call black leadership is not going to help solve the problems by trying to punish a brown man for the crime of self defense against a black teenager.

firefly

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 04:15 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
An one thing I do know is that the so call black leadership is not going to help solve the problems by trying to punish a brown man for the crime of self defense against a black teenager.
They simply wanted Zimmerman's killing of Martin re-examined, so the matter could be appropriately scrutinized, and adjudicated, in our legal system. That was the justice for Martin that they sought. And the governor responded, appointed a special prosecutor, and Zimmerman was arrested and charged.

They're not screaming for "punishment"--they got what they wanted, which was to have the matter adjudicated in court.

Whether or not this was legally justified "self-defense" has yet to be decided.

And why do you keep calling Zimmerman "a brown man" when he considers himself to be white?

I have a problem with armed adults following, and shooting, and killing, unarmed minors--and then claiming self-defense--regardless of the skin colors of either of the parties. That's why I want this case evaluated and decided in court.

Can't you evaluate or discuss this case with any degree of objectivity, without distorting things, or without trying to spin your version of reality? Your failure to be able to do that really destroys your credibility and impugns your own integrity.