"Ring Around the Collar" ad sloganeer dies

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:35 pm
DEATHS ELSEWHERE: 'Ring around the collar' ad sloganeer J. Jordan dies

James Jordan Jr., widely considered one of the premier sloganeers of Madison Avenue, who popularized brands like Schaefer beer and Wisk detergent, died Wednesday while on a vacation in the Virgin Islands. He was 73 and lived in White Plains, N.Y.

The cause of death was believed to be a heart attack, his son, Michael, said.

Jordan's advertising career spanned five decades, bridging the era when slogans were a predominant way to peddle products and the era when slogans were reclaimed as "retro chic" touchstones of brand heritage and character.

Among his slogans were: "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one," "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch," "Delta is ready when you are," "Quaker Oatmeal, it's the right thing to do" and "Wisk beats ring around the collar."

Here is the link.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
Sorry to hear about the man's death.

I don't care how famous it was, but I found "Ring Around the Collar" so obnoxious, to this day I will not buy Wisk. As a grating, annoying ad, it is second only to, "Please don't squeeze the Charmin"!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:00 pm
Discerning people will always resist the more obnoxious ads, but, the success of the products proves they generally have the desired result.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:31 pm
In Houston a local furniture dealer has become wealthy and influential built on annoying ads dating back perhaps 20 years. He came to Houston with just enough money to open a store and he had 5 thousand dollars for advertising. He came onscreen himself, with a dollar bill sticking out of his back pocket. He would speak very fast about his furniture, topping it off by grabbing the bill from the pocket and jumping into the air. "G_ _ Furniture really will save you money," he would say. People found something in this scruffy looking guy to respond to. (Not my brother. He always vowed that he would shoot the guy if he could do so and get away with it). He became well known in a hurry and even made the cover of Time Magazine. Quite often he gives furniture to persons in unfortunate circumstances. He sits in at the livestock auction that follows the annual rodeo, often buying expensive animals from the students who raised them. He hosts sporting events. He gives motivational speeches. He very nearly ran for mayor one year, but did not meet the requirements. During all this time he continues to make his own ads based on variations of the "Really will save you money" theme. His name is Jim MacInvale, popularly known about Houston as Mattress Mac.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
It's sad that he is remembered in this way. Nothing against the man, but that was the most irritating commercial of all time!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:26 pm
I thought the most irritating was Anacin, Anacin, fast, fast, fast relief! Anacin, Anacin, fast, fast, fast relief! For fast relief, take Anacin, Anacin! But, they're in the same ball park..
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:31 pm
That one was bad too, Osso. Those noisy commercials were in the days when we did'nt have a remote control with a mute button.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:26 am
Want to hear obnoxious? This ad is on local TV!

http://www.baycityplywood.com/
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:48 am
OMG, Phoenix! I'd have to shoot the TV!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:57 am
Phoenix, I bet you keep thinking what they can do with their plywood. I'm just wondering if it has increased their sales, because I would never buy anything from them!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:01 am
That ad would never fly in the northeast. I think that people may like it here in the south because it is (yeecch) folksy. You would not believe how many ads for trucks there are on the TV here!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:04 am
I'd be lost without my mute button!

Edgar, I bought a couple of pieces of furniture last year. I shopped all over town, but boycotted Mattress Mac...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:08 pm
Mac
My sister in law went in there once. The sales staff were swarming all over everybody so bad she left right away.
0 Replies