House Republicans just don't care

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:03 pm
@georgeob1,
You wrote,
Quote:
The sad truth is that Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid , foodstamps and all the handouts so effectively used by politicians to keep themselves in power are already in grave danger. We are already on a course that will surely destroy them all.

We've known about these problems for decades, and both parties ignored them until now. The GOP now wants to blame Obama for the increasing deficit that was used to provide tax cuts to the middle class, extend the Bush tax cuts, extend unemployment during the Great Recession, pay for two wars that GW Bush started, and the saving of the American auto industry that saved over one million jobs.

All the austerity programs now being forced on the Euro countries are a huge failure; it has further depressed their economies.

When interest rates are at their lowest in many decades, it's the time to spend money to give an impetus to their economies. Saving jobs provides people to consume goods and services that further creates greater demand for more goods and services. Shrinking the consumer class only exacerbates economic problems.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
When interest rates are at their lowest in many decades, it's the time to spend money to give an impetus to their economies

That is what a lot of people thought when they were given teaser rates on their fist full of credit cards back in the day.

How did that generally work out for folks?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When interest rates are at their lowest in many decades, it's the time to spend money to give an impetus to their economies. Saving jobs provides people to consume goods and services that further creates greater demand for more goods and services. Shrinking the consumer class only exacerbates economic problems.

That worked well for the Greeks up until the moment confidence in their ability to service their debts collapsed. Their crisis started at a Debt to GDP ratio of 130%. We are approaching that level now.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:10 pm
@georgeob1,
The reasons the Greek economy collapsed is based on more than one issue; their major industry is tourism. No major economy can survive on a one service industry. A balanced import/export economy is required for stability and self-sufficiency. Greece doesn't have any of that.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The reasons the Greek economy collapsed is based on more than one issue; their major industry is tourism. No major economy can survive on a one service industry. A balanced import/export economy is required for stability and self-sufficiency. Greece doesn't have any of that.

Perhaps you could explain why a similar process appears to be unfolding in Italy and Spain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 01:02 pm
@georgeob1,
I'm not so sure about Italy, but Spain had no business in joining the Euro. It only produced inflation, and they were never an export economy.

Italy had internal structural problems, but I think they have more options than Greece or Spain to recover. I also think their economy is improving.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 01:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't agree. Italy has far more pervasive social & economic problems that are driving its chronic economic problems. Spain has much less debt and appears to be far more willing to make the painful adjustments that are now required.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 02:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Fair enough! We can agree to disagree. We'll have to wait to see how they pan out.

My thinking is based on my readings on these issues for the past several years, but admit I'm not fully informed.
0 Replies