Brace face, tin grin, metal mouth...

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:42 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer, that list while good isn't necessary for most day, just on the days when the braces get tightened and depending on the kid, maybe for a day or so after. Somethings are difficult all the time, like corn on the cob, but unless you've got all kinds of contraptions going on, most kids will scarf down whatever, just not as easily on the days when your teeth hurt from breathing.. When you get braces you become accustomed to figuring out how to eat certain things. It's a right of passage.
In other words, he'll learn to deal with it.
Just maybe don't order pizza on that particular night.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:46 pm
@boomerang,
No advice but I'd like to hang out and hear what others give. I am currently looking for an ortho for Duckie now that he has lost his last baby tooth. And the dentist says Ducklet is not far behind.
boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:25 pm
@FreeDuck,
Thank goodness I don't have two kids to consider. We don't have dental insurance and the price tag is kind of painful. They have some payment plans but I'm tempted to just rip off that band aid and pay up front so I get the 5% discount.

I wish she had a "nice neighbor who leaves out the bowl of water for the neighborhood dogs all summer discount" since she told me that they appreciate the handy water when walking their dogs but no such luck was to be had.
boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:26 pm
@Ceili,
More good news! Yea x 2!
sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:27 pm
@boomerang,
Having an orthodontist as a neighbor has come in handy a couple of times though! (Ours is a neighbor as well.) We run into him a lot, and one time I had a question but didn't want to bother him when he was off-duty. At the next appt. he said "you had a question when I ran into you last week, didn't you -- go ahead and ask, I really don't mind."

So since then we've been able to skip a couple of visits (well, at least one) because we happened to see him in the neighborhood.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
For us that list was more about what not to eat because it would damage the braces, not what hurt. (And unfortunately, the things we've tested did indeed damage the braces. She's popped off brackets about four times. Grr.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:38 pm
@boomerang,
We have insurance but I don't think it covers much. That's on my list -- to find out how much it's going to cost. I need to increase my HSA contributions.
0 Replies

goodhealth

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:47 pm
@boomerang,
From my experience, it can be a little painful but not too bad. It really depended on what I ate. But the very little pain was completely worth it, cuz my teeth are smooth and straight.
0 Replies

lindalewis

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:07 am
@boomerang,
Funny and my daughter is excited too .
0 Replies