THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IMPORTANT

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:12 pm
One of the challenges of living is separating one's compulsive behavior from one's self-directed behavior. Have you ever made a public statement in a way clearly meant to draw attention to yourself, and then within your mind said, "What am I doing?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,823 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:21 am
To many times to count and I wish I could forget each and every one of them. But alas that is not a path available. However it does happen less and less as I mature and I am less and less embarrased when I do it. It usally happens when I am feeling real insecure or if I am trying to invade a conversation I do not belong in.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:25 am
I don't think I'm compulsive about it, but I'm sure guilty of that kind of behavior. And like Joanne, I'd like to forget all of those incidences, but the best I can do is learn from them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:13 am
I find that the older that I get, the less that I have the need to "shoot my mouth off", to my later regret. I have pulled some doozies in my time, though!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:41 am
Phoenix isnt that the truth, I just love getting older so much matters less and less.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:44 am
I have been hearing impaired since i was a very small boy. This means i speak louder than most people, and remain unaware of it, most of the time. These days, curmudgeon-like, i care little for the opinion which others have of me (there being one special exception). So, when i entertain myself with public nonsense, i turn the volumn up, and the audience be damned. Making a fool of myself has been a life-long habit, might as well enjoy it.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:52 am
Good for you Setanta, less attention paid to people like me the better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:56 am
Setanta, didn't know that. (Didja know I'm deaf?) I actually have the opposite problem -- I spoke too loudly when I first started losing my hearing as a teenager, and got self-conscious about it, and now generally speak too softly. I can overcome it if I think about it -- I love public speaking and I'm good at it -- but my default mode is too damn quiet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:28 pm
I suffered a severe injury when i was three years old. Toddlers are not noteworthy for their quiet behavior as it is--my hearing could be improved with an exspensive and risky surgery--but the amount of return is only going to be about 15% at best, so i've never given it serious consideration. I've learned to adjust, although some minor problems remain. Lovey is always telling me to turn down the tv when i watch at her house, and when people ride anywhere with me, and i start up the jeep, the stereo usually blasts them into the back seat. Apart from those minor inconveniencies, i'm loud and i'm proud.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:17 pm
I'm also pretty deaf. I've always had a poor aural memory, and probably some hearing loss. Mostly though the hearing started to go in my 40's. Hearing aids have mitigated the problems somewhat, but recently I had my hearing retested. It's declining at a steadily increasing rate, and becoming assymetrical. The audiologist couldn't find any reason for the trend, or the asymetry, so today I go to a doctor who specializes in hearing disorders.

I did a lot of shooting in my time, but blame most of the hearing loss to work I did investigating fatigue life in exotic metals.
0 Replies