Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:54 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,530 • Replies: 31
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:06 pm
So, what, suddenly somewhat at CNN is worried about substance? There are far more alarming errors of commission and omission during an hour on CNN than the repitition of the Dean scream. How much time is dedicated to the marital misadventures of Mr. Affleck and Ms. Lopez? Sheesh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:33 pm
Can someone tell me what "the scream" actually WAS?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:09 pm
Dean listed states that he and his followers, reaching a crescendo as he moved on to Washington DC and the White House. Out of breath and out of words, but not having reached a satisfying climax (and apparently and understandably uncomfortable with the overblown assertion and aggression of the whole thing), he let out a sort of elided "Yee-haw!" That is, it sounded like, "Yah!" but with the attitude of a yee-haw. It was an enormously ill-conceived moment, more comic than anything else, but it certainly didn't exude dignity.

Of course, the Shrub fails to exude dignity just by showing up, but that's another story...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
He said:

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire..., we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York! And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Washington, D.C. to take back the White House, Yeeeeeaaaaaah!"

Here are "starwars kid-esque" remixes:

http://home.comcast.net/~cozdemir226/
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:05 pm
CNN has downgraded the danger posed from "Screams of Mass Destruction", to a "Funny-Noise-In-the-Back-of-the-Throat-Related-Whisper-Program".
0 Replies

Polski

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:09 pm
The problem was not CNN, but Mr. Deans less than appealing actions.
I had always felt that GB would just hammer Mr. Dean in an election. I feel no remorse that Mr. Dean is fading away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
Millions of dollars and a lot of energy dissipated in an instant, as it were, by a crowd-shut-off microphone[/color] at the climactic cheer of a rally speech.

I know it wasn't that simple, but it comes to that.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:05 pm
I saw the scream and I don't remember thinking it was a scream, but just a guy trying to rally his troops.

I never was that gung hoe about him being president but I am glad that he got the democratic party moving after being like blind sheep for so long. I remember when I first heard him talking about the war, I thought to myself, finally someone on TV is saying something I think. But after I started hearing how he balanced his budget, by cutting programs for the elderly and that he wanted to raise the age for retirement and things like that, I started to get a little worried and then that confederate flag comment cinched it for me. He might not have meant it in a racial way but nonetheless it showed a side that I didn't like.

But the news did make way too much of it just like they are now about Janet Jacksons breast of which we didn't even see since she had some kind of body jelwery covering more than a lot of bikinies do on the beach. I think she should have showed up at grammys in one of those backless dresses that only have little silky strips over their chest that a lot of actresses or famous people wear and not have apologized.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:51 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
He said:

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire..., we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York! And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Washington, D.C. to take back the White House, Yeeeeeaaaaaah!"

Here are "starwars kid-esque" remixes:

http://home.comcast.net/~cozdemir226/

Thanks craven.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:52 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
CNN has downgraded the danger posed from "Screams of Mass Destruction", to a "Funny-Noise-In-the-Back-of-the-Throat-Related-Whisper-Program".

That is very funny, Pondy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:15 am
Hmm - I listened to video - but I didn't hear a scream - just rather over the top political rah rah.

Hey - people get really excited in campaigns - it's intoxicating - over the top rah rah is common. I don't get it...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:18 am
Political speeches are public events, with media invited. They came. I don't quite see the problem.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:12 am
Well, this thread kinda sums it all up.

That it all should end this way ... how pathetically sad.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
Quote:
Hey - people get really excited in campaigns - it's intoxicating - over the top rah rah is common.

Our politicoes aren't as entertaining as other countries'. It's really very dry and boring and predictable here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:29 am
The crowd shutoff microphone enhanced his voice (for tv) relative to crowd noise, I gather.

Ugh.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:44 am
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
Hey - people get really excited in campaigns - it's intoxicating - over the top rah rah is common.

Our politicoes aren't as entertaining as other countries'. It's really very dry and boring and predictable here.

Well that Dean speech was really wildly over the top to Dutch standards ...

But then Dutch standards are pretty mindnumbingly low-key. Any of GWB's speeches would seem bewilderingly out of place here, too - too much pathos, too much pomposity. Even Fortuyn was more playful than pompous - we dont look kindly on grandiosity in political speech here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:12 pm
nimh
nimh, even in Chruchill?

BBB
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
We don't look kindly on grandiosity in political speech here - for politicians in different countries, different standards ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:08 pm
Hehehe.

But - Churchill wasn't Dutch. NIMH is.
0 Replies